Electricity 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

I didn't read all the posts due to so many but what about common sense? Even if you have the knowledge sometimes I witness trained professionals doing some stupid stuff. Not to mention good troubleshooting techniques I agree troublshooting can't be taught but the techniques can.

The intent of part of this is safety and common sense approaches to regular problems electricians face day to day.

mivey

Don't start bashing the stupidity of the person who installed the mess you are there to fix, because you will probably be pontificating to them or their's.

Karl H

Brian,

I haven't read all the posts but I have to take my hat off that your
willing to dedicate your time to educate. I have learned a lot from
your posts on this forum, and I think you would be a great electrical instructor.
I personally, would take your class on "Testing Procedures" in a heart beat.

e57

Proper routing of conductors in switchboards to aviod inductive heating, to include two section panels and no neutral through the bottom hole and the phase conductors through the top hole.

INDUCTION1-1.jpg

INDUCTIVEHEATING2-1.jpg
I wish I had an IR camera to explain such things - as yes a picture is worth a thousand words. Especially when not visable to the naked eye.

thaley68

I think the first thing everyone should get in the heads, is that the NEC is only a minimum standard! We can do a better job then what the code says!
To many guys try and take the short cut, and screw-up the whole job.

marinesgt0411

Are we talking about very green help or very expert help here are some ideas for the very green.1. magnets. 2.how is electricity produced. 3.how does a moter work. 4.does electricity flow from negitive to positive or positive to negative. 5.why is grounding and bonding required. 6.which is more dangerous AC or DC and why. 7.if DC is suposedly so much better why don't the power companies use it. 8.why you should no longer share a nuetral in residential. (arch fault breakers). 9.how a vaccuum tube works (easier to explain how a diode,transistor,or other electronic device works). 10.differant ways that a threeway and fourway switch are wired. 11.if a fourway switch is used to control a light from a third location why is it called a fourway and if a threeway switch is used to control a light from a second location why is it called a threeway.
Just a few ideas on your request..

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
I can talk about just about anything anytime and where but when I have given presentations to engineers I get cold feet and feel uncomfortable losing my confidence, little bit of an inferiority complex.

Build your confidence by.... start off with some of your IR scan pics, perhaps showing uneven heat dissipation due to routing... roll into you busway assembly MH post.... then describe your service-call ground-fault trip troubleshooting procedure....

I don't think there would be a "superior" engineer in the room. :)

John M

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Here is one for you Brian:

How the neutral wire can become a shock hazzard if it is disconnected or cut.

I think some people mistakenly believe that having the load between them and the hot wire will keep them from getting shocked.

480V Sparky posted a powerpoint presentation on the FAQ about how an open neutral affects the voltage across line to neutral loads. A very similar thing happens when a person completes an open circuit. The load gets about 0 volts, and the person gets almost the full applied voltage. It doesn't matter if you are on the hot or neutral side of the load - you get the same voltage.

Steve

srblx

Brian: I have noticed the same thing in my area and your class sounds like something we could use here as well. Point in case, a 20 year electrician who offers 24 hour service calls did not understand the difference between arc fault and ground fault. (to me this should be basic knowledge for installers as well as troubleshooters and the other big thing I notice is very few know how to use their metering equipment( if the even have it).
Thinking maybe you and I could possibly knock ideas around (who knows we may start a new trend towards producing condfident and knowledgable electricians in the field).
contact me by PM if you want to discuss this first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking maybe you and I could possibly knock ideas around (who knows we may start a new trend towards producing condfident and knowledgable electricians in the field).
contact me by PM if you want to discuss this first.

I believe there are many very qualified electricians in the field.
There are always going to be a number of people who do not know and do not care.
These classes will not stop that, though they may reduce it.
Also, this industry has become very complex. It will be virtually impossible to know the width and breath of information available. That does not make these guys unqualified, just qualified in what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

pfalcon

Since you are talking about class EL100 why are we boring them with so many slides.

Build demo boxes that provide test points to demonstrate your issues. Show them that you can find 0 volts where they are out of phase.

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.