Need GFI on boat dock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

Does a circuit from a dwelling to a boat dock receptacle need to be gfi protected? It feeds a 30 amp, 125 volt twistlock receptacle to power a boat while docked. It seems like a good idea but I don't remember ever seeing gfi protection on any dock receptacle.

Mike

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
"need to be"...many would say yes....
"shall be" in order to be Code compliant... No

Cold Fusion

The regulation is (2008) 555.19.A and 555.19.B.

The boat shore power is not required to have GFI protection.

For other than shore power, 15A and 20A, single phase, 125V, GFI protection required.

FWIW, I've never seen a gfi protected shore power receptacle.

cf

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Almost every section of the Code that I can think of (other than temporaries) limits receptacle GFCI requirements to 15 and 20 amp 125 volt receptacles. The OP's situation, I believe, would be a 210.8 area, but even multiple docking facilites (Art 555) limit the required GFCI ptotection to 15 and 20 amp 125 volt

e57

"need to be"...many would say yes....
"shall be" in order to be Code compliant... No
I agree. Not required, but not a bad idea either from the feed side at say the breaker - depending on it being SOLELY for shore power for boats. If there is any possibility of it being utilized for tool use - then definately should be GFI'ed.

mkgrady

I agree. Not required, but not a bad idea either from the feed side at say the breaker - depending on it being SOLELY for shore power for boats. If there is any possibility of it being utilized for tool use - then definately should be GFI'ed.

I never gave it much thought but I'm wondering why gfi protection is not required for boat dock power. I'm talking about the standard 30 amp twist lock receptacle. Don't these boats have 120 volt receptacles on board? When someone plugs a tool into a standard duplex receptacle and works around the dock they are unprotected, perhaps barefoot and perhaps covered with sweat. Seems dangerous.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
a decent alternative would be to install a 2 ckt panel and provide a 20 amp GFCI adjacent to the 30 amp for "dock work"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No point with the GFI issue. I just like to bring this Art. the the attention of people working on docks. I am very surprised at the number of electricians that don't know the art. exists.

Cavie,

What does this Article 682 have to do with boat docks?

Mike,

Is this for a one family dwelling?

If so what article covers the installation? According to 555.1 it's not Article 555.

Cold Fusion

For a dwelling aren't the dockside 125V, 15 or 20A receptacles the same as any other outside receptacle? I'm not a dwelling whiz, but aren't dwelling outside receptacles GFI protected?

As I recall, when I build my house (2005 code), they were.

speaking of convenience receptacles, not the 30A shore power

cf

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
For a dwelling aren't the dockside 125V, 15 or 20A receptacles the same as any other outside receptacle? I'm not a dwelling whiz, but aren't dwelling outside receptacles GFI protected?

As I recall, when I build my house (2005 code), they were.
cf

only 15 and 20 amp 125 volt ones 210.8

Cavie

Cavie,

What does this Article 682 have to do with boat docks?

Mike,

Is this for a one family dwelling?

If so what article covers the installation? According to 555.1 it's not Article 555.

According to the powers to be in Lee County Florida, 682 applies to residential docks along with other things not addressed elsewhere in the code.
682.2 Definition Artificially made bodies of water (Lake). 682.2 (2) tidal fluctuations (Coast of Florida) 682.2 (4) Landing stage (Dock). 682.2 Equipotential plane, walk surface (Dock)
Now if all that is true, I didn't even see this part, the last sentance in 682.33 (B) would require GFI on the 30 amp shore power. All boat lift motors also.
Please don't shoot the messenger.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
most interesting... best plan appears to be shoot the messenger and burn the Article :grin:

Cavie, I apologioze...I looked at Art 682 but did not read it more than once. It now ranks in the top 3 Articles that confuse me :grin:, but, I would agree that an AHJ certainly might see this article as applicaple...from the wording almost all bodies of water would be covered, and GFCI would be required. Worse, the section on the equopotential plane will cause more trouble than than Art 680.

Status
Not open for further replies.