vanity light height??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

Usually, when I'm roughing a house, the HO has absolutely NO IDEA what they're going to have un the bathrooms.

So I just make several loops, one in each stub cavity, and that covers me.

Rough-in:

DSC04439a.jpg

Six months later, the HO decides she wants a light on each side of the mirror.

DSC04972a.jpg

I could have put a single light over the mirror, or added a 3rd light there, heck I could put in 6-8 lights should that what is requested.
is that #12 going to the switch and #14 leaving??

Power Tech

The only drawback to having the wire buried is half the time the drywaller will poke the wire thru the wall at some random spot, like 48" off the floor or out the back side of the wall in an adjacent room

It's funny, the one wire you want them to bury they seem to want do the opposite. I've also had the loop that I've left in the wall pinched between the drywall and the stud.

I think the drywallers are out to mess with all electricians. :grin:

I agree 100%, it's like cats and dogs.:D

That is funny, they have done every one of those things to me.

rt66electric

sheetrockers can read???

sheetrockers can read???

Unless I know the exact height and type of mirror at rough in I usually bury a few feet of wire in the area where I think the box or boxes will end up. Then cut the box in after the dyrwall is done and mirror is in place.

I also take a sharpie and write "bury wire" on the wire. That way the drywallers might actually leave the wire in the wall.

Do you have sheetrockers that can read ?? WOW I'm impressed !! Most all of the sheetrockers around here speak spanish only..

celtic

We always whip out in the wall just in case they change there mind and want scones on the side of the mirror as opposed to a light at the top of the mirror C.Y.A.

:confused:

Why would anybody want these in the bathroom:
GJ%2520Scone.jpg

"SCONES"

Now sconces....that's totally different:
1972588609_d4d6d4b169.jpg

:D

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yep, have done the pancake thing too. Nice drawing.

Also, I wasn't trying to say that you can DEPEND on the plumber to center it, but you can take the five minutes to ask the builder what the center line is. I just hate taking the time later to cut in a box. I always tell my guys that I don't want any rough-in wiring during the trim out. It's very frustrating for me.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wow. There's NO way I would want excess wiring like that on one of my jobs. While it makes it easier for you to be adjustable on the light location, how in the hell would that pass code? Am I alone with this opinion? We do mostly commercial work, so maybe I'm out of the loop (no pun intended) on this one. Bring on the flames.....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yep, have done the pancake thing too. Nice drawing.
If you mean me, thanx! I did them several years ago, using MS Word, believe it or not.

Also, I wasn't trying to say that you can DEPEND on the plumber to center it, ...
I am complaining that you usually can depend on it, though. :mad: (It's not a biggie, really.)

480sparky

Wow. There's NO way I would want excess wiring like that on one of my jobs. While it makes it easier for you to be adjustable on the light location, how in the hell would that pass code? Am I alone with this opinion? We do mostly commercial work, so maybe I'm out of the loop (no pun intended) on this one. Bring on the flames.....

1. Define 'excess' wire.
2. Gimme a Code violation.

magictolight.com

It's true, it isn't the prettiest install. However having done commercial work for many years and then breaking into the residential market with my business, all I can tell you is this market is a different animal and that that install saves a ton of sheetrock repairs in the long run.

Power Tech

With all the Re-lock and MC in commercial, there is loops all over. Costco and HD require extra flex. Lights can be moved or eliminated easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.