Starting *Now*: Forum Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This has happened regularly on threads that contain more than one page- When I click on the button"Go to Last Unread Post" it takes me to the last page, not the last unread post.

Here too, sometimes.
On multi-page threads, such as this one, mine is [seems to be] currently going to the top of the last page regardless of where the newest post is located... and having set option to 40 posts per page, if not fixed, I'll have to go back to 20 per page

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Today at 12:30 I was trying to reply and the system was timing out. I hit submit reply again and it took it. Then I was searching for this thread and it times out. Seems like I couldn't search in the window at the top. Response on refreshing also seems to be a bit slow. Edit: It took 3 seconds for this to post.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a question. This isn't really a problem but didn't see it in the old version. When replying to a post, I noticed that sometimes, not all the time, that when you finish your reply and hit "submit reply" a message will appear that says: "thank you for posting, you will now be returned to the thread" or something similar. Why does this only appear some of the time?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Works okay for me.
Maybe it is my browser.
What's the appeal to the archives?
I am looking for an old thread about 3 phase power-Wye vs Delta. There was a real good explanation about why Wye is 208 phase to phase and Delta is 240. Something about grabbing the the phases. I wanted to print it to show another electrician I work with.
The 2nd page unread posts glitch is getting old, but it didn't do it to me just now...
Still doing it to me.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Most of the time, you're not directed to the first unread post, you're dumped onto the top of the page containing the last unread post. Kind of like the moderated post problem, growing.

hurk27

I wonder if this is the reason it also dumps you back at the top of the thread page after making a post instead of at the bottom showing your new post like it use to do?

I hate having to scroll down again to see my post to see if I need to edit it:rant:

hurk27

On second thought Joe, you might want to check with MS because ever since I updated to IE8 I have notice that when I hit my return arrow to go to the last page I was viewing in many of the news sites like MSNBC it won't take me to the place on the page I was viewing but just takes me to the top of it and I have to scroll down to get back to where I was, but not all web site do this and this one just started doing it on the last upgrade?:?

hurk27

Coincidence. It's happening across the board. Safari, Firefox...

I just checked and in here my back button/arrow does return me to the place in the thread I was looking at, but not when I make a post which dumps me at the top of the page, so I guess MS is off the hook,

V bulletin has changed its code to keep up with the new operating systems, so I'm kind of out of date as to the templates that affect this, still not sure why IeSpell is not linked, but I think I might try to re-install it just to see if it will link up, as in viewing the source code at line 296 about half way down the list of editors, I see it saying ""ieSpell_not_installed": null }, "attachinfo": " so the VB code might not have been linked to search for IeSpell on a users computer to see if it is there, I have it installed on this computer and right clicking in the text box will give me a link to use it, but it was nice to have the button in the editor., wonder if it has to be installed on the server also?

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I wonder if this is the reason it also dumps you back at the top of the thread page after making a post instead of at the bottom showing your new post like it use to do?

I hate having to scroll down again to see my post to see if I need to edit it:rant:

That doesn't happen to me, when I post it takes me straight to my new post. I use Firefox.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That doesn't happen to me, when I post it takes me straight to my new post. I use Firefox.

That's funny, after posting this, I went back to "today's post" and it had a "404" error. I tried this several times with the same result. I closed the site and tried to reopened it and it took to me to Google (my homepage).:huh: It did this for about 10 minutes and then it opened up just fine. Not sure if Webmaster had the site down or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.