Welder Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Please control yourself and grasp what is stated in post # 75. :slaphead:

I saw what it said.

You feel that guessing about accident is a good way to develop a program. I disagree, I like to work with facts and not just facts from other accident I deem to be 'similar' I mean facts about the actual accident in question.

But by all means build a program on good intentions, I am sure it will be great. :thumbsup:

Besoeker

Going back to the link by Iwire in post #62 the welder appears to have been electrocuted by getting the 78.8V output across him.
It isn't really to do with grounding. The current path was from one terminal through man's body and back to the other terminal.

kwired

Electron manager
Going back to the link by Iwire in post #62 the welder appears to have been electrocuted by getting the 78.8V output across him.
It isn't really to do with grounding. The current path was from one terminal through man's body and back to the other terminal.

Exactly. The welder output is an ungrounded system. Clamp the work lead on a piece of equipment and it may or may not be grounded. The work is definately now an extended conductor of the work lead though. Care need to be taken to not become part of the current path. This should be taught to anyone learning to use a welder, just like rules of the road and hazards associated with driving are taught to anyone learning to drive.

Eng

Wow. At lot of responses. I haven't gone through them yet. But this is a requirement from ANSI. Providing this is good practice if you are performing welds on vehicles that have sensitive electronic equipment (fire trucks and police vehicles) and also vehicles that contain explosives (paint trucks).

I ended up providing a copper busbar mounted to the wall of the welding room. I connected the copper busbar to the building structural steel. The owner will now connect the welding table and any vehicles that they are welding on to this busbar. This is in addition to the equipment grounding conductor and the workpiece ground.

Workpiece ground

According to ANSI Z49.1, "e;Safety in Welding, Cutting and
Allied Processes,"e; the workpiece or the metal table that the workpiece
rests upon must be grounded. We must connect the workpiece or work table to a
suitable ground, such as a metal building frame. The ground connection should
be independent or separate from the welding circuit connection.

Grounding the workpiece has similar benefit to grounding the
welding machine enclosure. When the workpiece is grounded, it is at the same
potential as other grounded objects in the area. In the event of insulation
failure in the arc welding machine or other equipment, the voltage between the
workpiece and ground will be limited. Note that it is possible to have an
ungrounded workpiece, but this requires the approval of a qualified person.

kwired

Electron manager
Wow. At lot of responses. I haven't gone through them yet. But this is a requirement from ANSI. Providing this is good practice if you are performing welds on vehicles that have sensitive electronic equipment (fire trucks and police vehicles) and also vehicles that contain explosives (paint trucks).

I ended up providing a copper busbar mounted to the wall of the welding room. I connected the copper busbar to the building structural steel. The owner will now connect the welding table and any vehicles that they are welding on to this busbar. This is in addition to the equipment grounding conductor and the workpiece ground.

Workpiece ground

According to ANSI Z49.1, "e;Safety in Welding, Cutting and
Allied Processes,"e; the workpiece or the metal table that the workpiece
rests upon must be grounded. We must connect the workpiece or work table to a
suitable ground, such as a metal building frame. The ground connection should
be independent or separate from the welding circuit connection.

Grounding the workpiece has similar benefit to grounding the
welding machine enclosure. When the workpiece is grounded, it is at the same
potential as other grounded objects in the area. In the event of insulation
failure in the arc welding machine or other equipment, the voltage between the
workpiece and ground will be limited. Note that it is possible to have an
ungrounded workpiece, but this requires the approval of a qualified person.

Modern vehicles have so much electronics in them that you will want the work lead as close as practical to the work to prevent current from flowing on almost anything you can imagine. They usually recommend disconnecting the vehicle from the battery to also help minimize potential paths.

Eng

Modern vehicles have so much electronics in them that you will want the work lead as close as practical to the work to prevent current from flowing on almost anything you can imagine. They usually recommend disconnecting the vehicle from the battery to also help minimize potential paths.

In addition to keeping the work lead close to the work, you must also provide a Ground Clamp from the work to the additional grounding busbar that is provided part of the ANSI requirment.

Status
Not open for further replies.