kitchen hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
A microwave that is not also a range hood and is located "In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit" and is cord an plug connected will be connected to a SABC, even if a dedicated circuit, code defines this as a SABC.

210.52 is titled Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.
210.52(B)(1) is about "receptacle" outlets. Anything not supplied through a receptacle outlet is not included in 210.52(B)(1).
We also have Infinity's mention of 422.16(B)(4) and the requirement if the hood is cord and plug supplied that it must be on an individual branch circuit. This individual circuit is still a SABC. You could have this and one more SABC and meet your minimum of two required SABC's. That second circuit could also supply all the receptacles in the dining room, pantry, or other similar areas and still be code compliant.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Mike, I started to disagree with you, but now I think you have changed your viewpoint. In any event, my viewpoint is that the issue here is that when you put a specific set of four words together, the four word phrase becomes an entity unto itself, one that has its own rules. There are rules that say you can supply a microwave that is inside a cabinet, or supply a plug & cord connected range hood, or supply a receptacle located inside an appliance garage, or supply a receptacle located more than 20” above the countertop, and you can use one or more 20 amp circuits to do these things. But none of those circuits would be, by definition, a “Small Appliance Branch Circuit,” the four word phrase to which I alluded earlier. They are merely 20 amp circuits.

But as soon as you power one single receptacle on a dining room wall from a circuit, or as soon as you power one kitchen countertop receptacle from a circuit (and there are other examples), that circuit becomes an SABC. From that moment forward, that particular circuit is forbidden to also supply the receptacle inside the appliance garage, or any of the other ones I mentioned.

So go ahead and put the range hood on a 20 amp circuit. Just don’t put a countertop receptacle on the same circuit, and don’t use the phrase SABC to describe that circuit.

Buck Parrish

It use to be a common practice to put the range hood on the sabc. I don't know when it changed in the code. Probably had something to do with range hoods being repaced with an above the range microwave / hood

stickboy1375

It use to be a common practice to put the range hood on the sabc. I don't know when it changed in the code. Probably had something to do with range hoods being repaced with an above the range microwave / hood

Maybe common practice, but still a code violation. :p It was never allowed as far as I can remember.

stickboy1375

Seems like a trivial thing to argue about, but I'm positive it was code compliant. I just don't know when it changed

I use the 2005, and my first nec was 1996, so it would have been pre dating that.

I dont think we're arguing, just discussing NEC. IMO, people still don't understand the requirements of the SABC's, and what is actually allowed on these circuits.

growler

Maybe common practice, but still a code violation. :p It was never allowed as far as I can remember.

I was taking a code class back when they first started to require the two small appliance circuits and if my memory is any good the only thing that was allowed on the SABC was a clock outlet.

You don't see many kitchen clocks anymore so people don't really worry about that one.

I was wrong there is one other exception in the 1996 ( oldest I still have with me). They allowed receptacles for gas equipment. Ranges and ovens.

I still don't think the hood vent was ever cover by an exception.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

But as soon as you power one single receptacle on a dining room wall from a circuit, or as soon as you power one kitchen countertop receptacle from a circuit (and there are other examples), that circuit becomes an SABC. From that moment forward, that particular circuit is forbidden to also supply the receptacle inside the appliance garage, or any of the other ones I mentioned.

Are you saying the 'garage' outlet can not be on with my counter top SABCs? It must be dedicated?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
A receptacle inside an appliance garage need not be on a dedicated circuit. But it can't be on one of the SABCs. Only the "required" outlets can be on an SABC, and the one inside the garage is not counted as one of the required ones. My interpretation is that it can share a circuit with the kitchen lights, or a bathroom light, or a receptacle in the real garage, and it can be on a 15 amp circuit.

Riograndeelectric

My coworker and I can not agree on the installation requirements for a "range Hood". This is a stand alone "range hood not a microwave hood.
I have read 422.16 (B) (4) which says the hood "may" be cord and plug connected.

Mt question is.
can a range hood be hardwired ( connected to lighting ciruit and not SABC) or does it require to be dedicated circuit and cord and plug connected.

I say the hood can be hard wire from any general circuit and not have to be dedicated and cord and plug connected.

renosteinke

The question is: can a range hood be powered by an SABC?

Note that the question is not about microwaves or anything else, and the OP is silent on the method of connection.

I'd say the answer depends upon the method of connection.

If the hood is cord & plug connected, code requires it to have its' own individual branch (dedicated) circuit. So, a cord & plug connected range hood cannot be powered from an SABC. See 422(B)(4)(5).

What if the hood is hard-wired? Can you hard-wire something to a SABC?

210.52(B)(2) Says in bold print No other outlets . Alas, the same section goes on to say under Exception #2 that an SABC can supply receptacles for "supplimental equipment and lighting" for gas ranges and counter-mounted cooking units.

I might consider an exhaust fan to be such 'supplimental' equipment- but the 'no other outlets,' and the narrow wording of 'receptacles' for such equipment seems to rule out hard-wiring of the range hood to an SABC. So I have to say 'hard wiring an exhaust fan to an SABC is not allowed.'

I'm not too happy with that; as pointed out, the usual residential fan is a trivial load. Running a circuit just for it seems silly, and the issue of tapping into a circuit from another room, or tying into a lighting circuit, is another discussion.

I'm really unhappy with the assumption that a cord-connected hood MIGHT one day also have a microwave, so let's require a dedicated circuit. It also appears that the code panel (422) never considered whether a hood might be hard-wired, or where that power might come from.

stickboy1375

Are you saying the 'garage' outlet can not be on with my counter top SABCs? It must be dedicated?

It just cant be on with any of the SABC's.... and no, it doesnt have to be dedicated, I think you are lacking where and what a SABC is... again... read 210.52(B)(1) and (2), its pretty straight forward what they want.

stickboy1375

The SABC are for portable appliances, so its not a surprise that that don't want any fixed loads on these circuits... I just run a 14-2 HR for my hoods, because that will usually cover any fancy hoods someone may purchase, or if i'm lazy I just come of the lighting circuit... its all in the design and cost flexibility.

stickboy1375

My coworker and I can not agree on the installation requirements for a "range Hood". This is a stand alone "range hood not a microwave hood.
I have read 422.16 (B) (4) which says the hood "may" be cord and plug connected.

Mt question is.
can a range hood be hardwired ( connected to lighting ciruit and not SABC) or does it require to be dedicated circuit and cord and plug connected.

I say the hood can be hard wire from any general circuit and not have to be dedicated and cord and plug connected.

If you cord and plug a hood, then you need a individual branch circuit... if you hardwired the hood, it does not require an individual branch circuit.

Riograndeelectric

Is there a code article for this?

My question was does a range hood require a dedicatted ciruit and be cord and plug connected?
I am not asking if the hood can be hard wired to the SABC..
have had a few inspectors fail jobs for hard wirng hood on other than SABC and not cord and plug connected.

Thanks

stickboy1375

Is there a code article for this?

My question was does a range hood require a dedicatted ciruit and be cord and plug connected?
I am not asking if the hood can be hard wired to the SABC..
have had a few inspectors fail jobs for hard wirng hood on other than SABC and not cord and plug connected.

Thanks

Yes, check out 422.16(B)(4) And I already answered your question.

Riograndeelectric

I have reade 422.16 (B) (4) (5) and i agree with your answer.
I was wondering if I migt have missed a code article other than 422.16.

the code is not very clear on this meaning it does not clarify the hood does or does not need to be cord and plug connected and a dedicated circuit.
Just say may be cord and plug connected.

I would like to ask some of the forum electrical inspectors to chime in on this.

Thank you for your feed back .
Cameron

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
What that article within 422 is doing is granting permission to use a plug and cord connection. There are five requirements, one of which is the dedicated circuit. But the article is not requiring plug and cord connections. So we can infer that hard wiring is allowable. That will bring us to the question of which type of circuit can be used for the hard wire connection. I can only think of three rules that say that a particular type of circuit cannot have any other outlets. One is the SABC, and that is the one under discussion. (The other two are the bathroom receptacle circuit and the laundry circuit, but there may be others I have missed). My conclusion is that you can power the range hood via a hard wired connection on any circuit other than those three. I would be inclined to use the kitchen light circuit, since it is close by, and since it is likely to be lightly loaded.

stickboy1375

I have reade 422.16 (B) (4) (5) and i agree with your answer.
I was wondering if I migt have missed a code article other than 422.16.

the code is not very clear on this meaning it does not clarify the hood does or does not need to be cord and plug connected and a dedicated circuit.
Just say may be cord and plug connected.

I would like to ask some of the forum electrical inspectors to chime in on this.

Thank you for your feed back .
Cameron

It's very clear what it says.... just read it again... your looking for something that does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.