400 amp service(320) voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouyano

Installing new underground residential service underground. The length is 162ft plus what runs up poll. I am using 500mcm aluminum....is this thick enough for the distance?

Thank you

jumper

Okay, resi table says 500 AL kcmil is good for 350A and 350A is a listed standard sized breaker, so no.

240.6 Standard Ampere Ratings.
(A) Fuses and Fixed-Trip Circuit Breakers. The standard
ampere ratings for fuses and inverse time circuit
breakers shall be considered 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50,
60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 125, 150, 175, 200, 225, 250, 300,
350, 400, 450, 500, 600, 700, 800, 1000, 1200, 1600, 2000,
2500, 3000, 4000, 5000, and 6000 amperes. Additional
standard ampere ratings for fuses shall be 1, 3, 6, 10, and
601. The use of fuses and inverse time circuit breakers with
nonstandard ampere ratings shall be permitted.

iwire

Staff member
Unless he has more than one main.

Two 200 amp main breaker panels with a total calculated load under 350 and he is good to go.

iwire

Staff member
Correction... In pa they call it 400 amp, but its only 320amp

It does not matter what they call it in PA, if you have a single 400 amp main breaker it is an NEC violation to use 500 AL.

My on concern was voltage drop... At what distance to you have increase conductor size?

That is entirely dependent on the load, as ptonsparky pointed out it is unlikely your calculated load is 320 amps.

What is your calculated load? If you do not have that you really cannot do a voltage drop calculation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A 400 amp meter base is rated 400 amps for non continuous loads but only 320 for continuous loads. A 200 amp meter base is rated the same way. 200 amps for noncontinuous loads but 160 for continuous loads.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My on concern was voltage drop... At what distance to you have increase conductor size?
Again it depends on the load. If you want to use the 400 amp load then you will have to calculate it but you are ignoring some info the others are giving you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A 400 amp meter base is rated 400 amps for non continuous loads but only 320 for continuous loads. A 200 amp meter base is rated the same way. 200 amps for noncontinuous loads but 160 for continuous loads.

Dennis, can you explain wht this means? I see the mentioned often and have no idea how this applies to a service. If the calcuated load is 399 amps can I use the 400 amps meter base?

iwire

Staff member

This is the basic voltage drop formula.

425px-Voltage_Drop_Calculation_-_3_phase.png

Please note;

L=Length

R=Resistance

I=Current

You need to know all three of those items to do the calculation.

You do not seem to have the current so If I assume it is 320 amps and use one of the voltage drop calculators on line and with 120/240 service using 500 AL and a load of 320 amps it seems you can run 260' before you exceed 3% drop.

http://www.electrician2.com/calculators/vd_calculator.html

Considering your load will very likely be much less you have no voltage drop issue to worry about.

iwire

Staff member
If the calcuated load is 399 amps can I use the 400 amps meter base?

Yes you can as the NEC calculated load has already accounted for the continuous and non-continuous loads.

Picture a standard 400 amp panel, in truth it is also rated 320 continuous 400 non-continuous.

jumper

Yes you can as the NEC calculated load has already accounted for the continuous and non-continuous loads.

Picture a standard 400 amp panel, in truth it is also rated 320 continuous 400 non-continuous.

Not sure about that, a 400A panel should be rated at 400A continuous for a SUSE rating IMO. must be a UL thing I guess.

I am talking about a SEC OCPD panel, not a branch circuit or feeder OCPD for a panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.