Cord extension for garage door opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I guess we need to define what is unprofessional. And what qualifies a non-professional to make such judgement?

Otherwise it is nothing more than appearance. If you make it look appealing it may seem professional but be loaded with problems in a true professional persons eyes.

:blink::blink::?:?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
That is an opinion not shared by the electrical inspectors nor the fire departments of this state.

So the ONLY things extension cords can be legally used for is outlined in 400.7?

I can't use an extension cord for my electric weed trimmer or my paint gun, neither of which can function without them?

I can't use an extension cord on a computer or a small fan? 400.7 reads 'shall only be used for the following:' and none of the above, along with many, many other applications, are not allowed under 400.7

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I disagree with you on that.

If that is true, and I have my doubts with residential units, it would require installing a disconect switch for it.

I once doubted also, but after researching UL 325 I found out otherwise.

UL 325 also limits the power cord supplied with the unit to a maximum of 6 feet.
Here is an excerpt from one manufacturer;

Power
1 Connect Power
To prevent possible SERIOUS INJURY or DEATH
from electrocution or fire:
? Be sure power is NOT connected to the opener,
and disconnect power to circuit BEFORE
removing cover to establish permanent wiring
connection.
? Garage door installation and wiring MUST be in
compliance with ALL local electrical and building
codes.
? NEVER use an extension cord, 2-wire adapter, or
change plug in any way to make it fit outlet. Be
sure the opener is grounded.
To avoid installation difficulties, do not activate the garage door opener at this time.
To reduce the risk of electric shock, your garage door opener has a grounding type plug with a third grounding pin. This
plug will only fit into a grounding type outlet. If the plug doesn?t fit into your outlet, contact a qualified electrician to install
the proper outlet.
THERE ARE TWO OPTIONS FORCONNECTING POWER:
OPTION
A
TYPICAL WIRING
Ground Tab
Ground Tab
Green Ground
Screw
Green
Ground
Screw
Ground Wire
Ground
Wire
Black
Wire
White Wire
White Wire
PERMANENT WIRING (Filter Board)
PERMANENT WIRING (Terminal Block)
Wire Nuts
TYPICAL WIRING
Black
Wire
Black
Wire
1.1A
Plug in the garage door opener into a grounded outlet.
1.2A
DO NOT run garage door opener at this time.
OPTION

B
PERMANENT WIRING

If permanent wiring is required by your local code, refer to the following procedure.
To make a permanent connection through the 7/8 inch hole in the top of the motor unit (according to local code):
Wiringthrougha filterboard(8550 models manufacturedbefore April12,2013):
1.1B
Be sure power is NOT connected to the opener, and disconnect power to circuit.
1.2B
Remove the garage door opener cover and set aside.
1.3B
Remove the attached green ground terminal.
1.4B
Cut black and white wires. Strip away 1/2 inch (1 cm) of insulation, 3 inches (7.5 cm) before spade terminals.
1.5B
Remove the power cord from opener.
1.6B
Install a conduit or flex cable adapter to the 7/8 inch hole.
1.7B
Run wires through conduit, cut to proper length and strip insulation.
1.8B
Attach with wire nuts provided. Attach the ground wire to the green ground screw.
The opener must be
grounded.
1.9B
Properly secure wire under plastic ties so that wire does not come in contact with moving parts.
1.10B
Reinstall the cover. DO NOT run garage door opener at this time.
Wiringthrougha terminalblock (8550 models manufacturedafterApril12,2013 andall8557 models):
1.1B
Remove the motor unit cover screws and set the cover aside.
1.2B
Remove the attached 3-prong cord.
1.3B
Connect the black (line) wire to the screw on the brass terminal; the white (neutral) wire to the screw on the silver
terminal; and the ground wire to the green ground screw.
The opener must be grounded.

crtemp

Look at your watch before you get out tools and again after you pick up, see if elapsed time may be actually a little longer than 4 minutes.

Okay okay you got me. Maybe 8 minutes
lol

that video is crazy. I can't believe people sit around and think up codes for cords all day long!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So the ONLY things extension cords can be legally used for is outlined in 400.7?

I can't use an extension cord for my electric weed trimmer or my paint gun, neither of which can function without them?

I can't use an extension cord on a computer or a small fan? 400.7 reads 'shall only be used for the following:' and none of the above, along with many, many other applications, are not allowed under 400.7
Article 400 covers "permanent" or "installed" uses of cords. Other than a couple of things in 590, the code does not apply to the normal "temporary" use of cords.

The cord on the computer many be using a cord in place of fixed wiring.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Article 400 covers "permanent" or "installed" uses of cords. Other than a couple of things in 590, the code does not apply to the normal "temporary" use of cords.

The cord on the computer many be using a cord in place of fixed wiring.

The 'cord' on a computer is actually a 'cord set', as is an extension cord.

Desktop computers have a cord set that goes from the power supply to the receptacle. They won't operate without them. They can be unplugged and swapped. When you get a new power supply, you just use the same cord. Old radios are the same way, the cord is removable.

Article 400 does not apply to cord sets. It only applies to the cords listed in the article.

It's Chapter 3 that does not allow extension cords to be used as fixed permanent wiring, it just doesn't come right out and say it. Instead, it gives a long list of options that must be followed, and extension cords don't make the cut.

The cord set on a computer is neither permanent, nor is it fixed.

The extension cord in the OP's question was not disallowed by Chapter 4 or Chapter 3 for that matter. It was disallowed because of manufacturer instruction.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
That is an opinion not shared by the electrical inspectors nor the fire departments of this state.

Local inspectors are likewise not in agreement with that opinion. In a discussion with UL we were advised as follows: UL Principle Engineer for Cords and the Principle UL representative for CMP 6 it is their opinion that power supply cords consist of a flexible cord and a plug. Therefore, the flexible cord on a power supply cord falls within the scope of Article 400.

iwire

Staff member

Those are temporary uses.

For temporary use sure. Permanent use no, not in my opinion.

We have made a lot of money removing extension cords from retail displays and replacing them with chapter 3 methods due to inspections.

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
For temporary use sure. Permanent use no, not in my opinion.
What is "temporary"? I have extension cords deployed in my house which have been there for years. Are they permanent? No, they are temporary until the wife decides to rearrange the furniture again. Could be tomorrow for all I know.

iwire

Staff member
What is "temporary"? I have extension cords deployed in my house which have been there for years. Are they permanent? No, they are temporary until the wife decides to rearrange the furniture again. Could be tomorrow for all I know.

Look in article 400 for the answer ....

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I don't know why this topic is so heavily debated. Other than commercial/industrial, who is going to go into a homeowner's house and tell them not to use an extension cord.:happyno:

CSI-NEC?:lol:

iwire

Staff member
I don't know why this topic is so heavily debated. Other than commercial/industrial, who is going to go into a homeowner's house and tell them not to use an extension cord.:happyno:

CSI-NEC?:lol:

Perhaps it would help if we kept in mind the OPs situation?

It seems to me the electrical inspector might notice ...

kwired

Electron manager
How about a Home Inspector when the house is sold?:roll:

HI is nothing more than a guy that points out potential problems. His findings can be used as bargaining tools between owner and seller but he is not an AHJ that has authority to require changes be made or to order disconnection of service if conditions are serious enough. I sure hope an extension cord used in the manner as described in the OP would not be the one item that prevents the sale of the home, but have no problem with it being mentioned as a possible code or safety concern on any inspection report.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
How about a Home Inspector when the house is sold?:roll:

I think the cords will be gone by then. If not, more work for us!

Perhaps it would help if we kept in mind the OPs situation?

It seems to me the electrical inspector might notice ...

Where did the OP say the house was going to be inspected?
I would think a new house would have the receptacle at the right place to start with.
If he's in the house I would think any inspections have already been done.

All I'm saying is this is pretty much an unenforceable rule!:happyyes:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I am reminded of the story about salt in the woman's tea. Make a new cup of tea.

Why not just install a longer cord pigtail on the Garage door opener. Wouldn't be any different than installing a new cord on a tool. As long as it is less than 6' that should satisfy the iwire police.

iwire

Staff member
Where did the OP say the house was going to be inspected?
I would think a new house would have the receptacle at the right place to start with.
If he's in the house I would think any inspections have already been done.

The receptacle is on the ceiling, above the opener. But it is a high ceiling so the cord does not reach.

All I'm saying is this is pretty much an unenforceable rule!:happyyes:r

Sorry I assume when folks come and ask questions at the NEC section of the Mike Holt Code forum they are asking about how to comply with the rules.

Maybe we should add a forum called 'Unenforceable rules we can ignore':D

Status
Not open for further replies.