Tree house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I was headed to see a client and saw a huge tree house being built around the corner of my client's house. So, my brain woke up and I started thinking "is a tree house considered a separate structure?"

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hopefully you are at least allowed to use the tree to support raceways or else you will have a hard timing getting the power up into the tree house.

Tapatalk!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But since the tree supports the treehouse and the treehouse supports the wire, it is a thin distinction from just nailing some 2x4s to the trunk and attaching the mast to that.
Which I suspect most inspectors would reject.

Tapatalk!

renosteinke

A treehouse does introduce some interesting design issues.

Sure, you can use the tree to support your electrical; it's "services" where the use of vegetation is banned. However, trees grow, which will introduce other issues- so I'd run the power up a fixed, dead, supporting pillar.

Trees also move. You need to allow for that in your design; RMC might not be such a good idea. Plus, you'll need to foresee the wiring being used for climbing, hanging things, vines growing upon, etc.

I define 'separate structure' as 'something for lightning to hit.' A tree certainly qualifies. Still, I have to ask: can a wire & ground rod be a better ground than the tree itself? Maybe the NEC needs to define "inherently grounded." :D

Wiring needs to be 'mechanically' protected. That means keeping it away from squirrels, and keeping the bugs out. Ordinary "raintight" won't work.

Besoeker

I was headed to see a client and saw a huge tree house being built around the corner of my client's house. So, my brain woke up and I started thinking "is a tree house considered a separate structure?"
I can just see it now...........
I tree house for the kids to play in but with an electrical supply for their iPhone chargers, computers, heating, lighting............

Besoeker

Twigged does not compute.
verbBRIT.informal
past tense: twigged; past participle: twigged
understand or realize something.
"it was amazing that Graham hadn't twigged before"
synonyms: realize, understand, grasp, comprehend, take in, fathom, apprehend, perceive, see, recognize

mgookin

I had a bad experience with a tree house. A lady called me at work saying no structural engineer would sign off on a tree house her kids built. I asked why she was looking for one. She said because my plans examiner required it. I asked her the address and found that code enforcement had a new inspector who cited her for construction without permits. She applied for a permit and sure enough one of my employees told her she needed a structural engineer. I fired him and wrote her a letter saying we don't require permits for tree houses built by kids with a copy to code enforcement. This was not the first time this plans examiner did that. It seems he was telling everyone on every 1&2 family permit they need a structural engineer because he did not know how to do calculations, even though 1&2 family is expressly exempt under state law from requirements for an engineer. There was a pile in his file from prior to my time being in charge where he was told to get remedial training and not do plan review on anything other than signs & fences. The week before this he had approved an application for a change of use zoned single family into a crematorium. The tree house was just the last straw.

And I know you're asking so I'll answer it. There was no electric to the tree house.

There are some pretty exotic tree houses which you can find under a google search. https://www.google.com/search?q=exo...Ho7IA4&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=684 I've never had to deal with one from a regulatory compliance perspective.

Although I have dealt with plenty of chickees built by the Miccosukee tribe of Florida and that tribe is exempt from needing an engineer or a contractor's license. They still need a permit and there's electric in them. Waterfront bars often hire their services. They do really good work.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
verbBRIT.informal
past tense: twigged; past participle: twigged
understand or realize something.
"it was amazing that Graham hadn't twigged before"
synonyms: realize, understand, grasp, comprehend, take in, fathom, apprehend, perceive, see, recognize

Oh, now I twig it!

Thanks. I love learning new words. Well, this is an old word with a definition that's new to me.

Besoeker

Oh, now I twig it!

Thanks. I love learning new words. Well, this is an old word with a definition that's new to me.
We old worlders can still educate you new worlders..........:)

You have been on this forum long enough to have possibly twigged that my sweet wife is from GA and that I'm a Brit.
We live in England though neither of us is English. She works for me and our customers love her Gone With the Wind southern accent an mellifluous tone of voice.
We work it for all its worth............:)

The diversity of regional accents and local vernacular from an entire country only around one third of the size of Texas is perhaps remarkable.

A little anecdote that I trust the mods will be lenient with.
My elder daughter was born and grew up with a fairly "posh" English accent. She married a Scot. They have a friend the the husband calls Mabawser.
His name is Pete Richie.
So Mabawser? Well, Scots dialect from the region makes balls baws. My is ma.
You can probably work it out from there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.