When is code going to change on backstabbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
#14 should have been caught during rough inspection. No need to remove covers to ID it.
Believe it or not, there is not a rough inspection in NYC for apartment renovations or small commercial build outs. Only the final. So yes, they
do ask to expose device.

Rdcowart

Occupation
Electrical license Holder
This is what I find on a weekly basis. I find one or two burnt receptacles every month. The home that this came out of was only 7years old. DC8066C9-4502-4E2A-8139-C10A7757BFB6.jpeg

Rdcowart

Occupation
Electrical license Holder
It’s quite simple the wires were plugged into the back and if they was wrapped around the screw heads it would have never happened.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
It’s quite simple the wires were plugged into the back and if they was wrapped around the screw heads it would have never happened.
How do you know that wouldn't have happened if the wires were on the screws?

Did that happen when they got plugged in? Or did that happen when you unplugged them? Or sometime in between?

I think it's safe to say if you didn't do that when you unplugged them, you don't really know when or how it happened.

I stab into the back - but if I had concrete evidences of that being a dangerous practice, I would stop immediately. I just don't see anything concrete there. Only speculation

James L

Occupation
Electrician
That picture does not even show any overheating issue that I can see. Looks like some one hit it. Back stabbed receptacles I see that have issue, looked melted and burnt.
Almost looks like somebody broke them while UNstabbing wires. Then maybe re-installed.

I never install used materials unless it's something really old, and used is all that's available

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In as much as they are switches and are not subject to the pressure receptacles see in everyday use it would have to be installer error or somebody ramming something into it.

Roger

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Almost looks like somebody broke them while UNstabbing wires. Then maybe re-installed.

I never install used materials unless it's something really old, and used is all that's available

That's exactly what backstabbed devices look like after I've de-serted the wires. ;)

I have, in my old age, decided to use spec grade stuff even at home.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Problem is that the devices are tested and listed so it's assumed that the connection is sound and that they are safe. It would take some action on the listing level from someone like UL to prohibit this type of installation. That's pretty much what happened a decade or two ago when they no longer allowed #12 AWG to be backstabbed.
An area couldn’t have an amendment that prohibited the use of backstabbed devices?

Backstabbing is right up there with the required peninsula counter receptacles, the CMP knowing kids are pulling deep fryers and coffee pot cords, and getting burnt badly.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Most of the time the only people that use back stabbing are DIYers and handymen, who are likely also not paying attention to that little "strip gauge". So they don't strip off enough insulation and the wire is not in deep enough, or they strip too much and there is exposed wire out the back.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Most of the time the only people that use back stabbing are DIYers and handymen, who are likely also not paying attention to that little "strip gauge". So they don't strip off enough insulation and the wire is not in deep enough, or they strip too much and there is exposed wire out the back.
I don’t know Jraef, I’d bet the resi guys backstab because of time, but I could be wrong.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I don’t know Jraef, I’d bet the resi guys backstab because of time, but I could be wrong.
Can't speak for any one else but my primary is residential and I abhor the back stab. Seen too many failures on service calls or changeouts, minor meltdowns (receptacle still works but melting beginning around stab holes) to total exposed guts. I've even gone in to find 2 screws plus 1 backstab used where the backstab showed evidence of heating.

oldsparky52

I guess I need to go to Vegas because every receptacle on a 15-amp circuit in my house is backstabbed and I have never had a receptacle go bad. I've been here since '98.

ETA: I hope karma doesn't decide to visit me now. :)

paulengr

Really? So you pull new wiring? Since it all has to be secured during rough in that would be an incredibly expensive receptacle replacement.

New receptacle, staples, and wiring: $5
Labor to rip out dry wall and run new branch circuit: $300
Look on the homeowners face when they have to redo half the finish carpentry: priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.