2023 kitchen receptacle requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Maybe I‘m reading the website wrong for the one I posted in #36?
From the site:
  • Color: Stainless steel metal top
  • Black outlet: 20 Amp GFCI
  • Tamper resistant (TR) plugs
  • Weather resistant (WR) outlet
  • ETL listed for USA installations, # 4004534
  • cETL listed for Canada installation, # 4004534
  • CSA approved for Canada, #C22.2
  • Conforms to UL 514A and 498
  • UL listed receptacle, # E229322
  • Water protection: IP 54 Spill proof rated
Look up the details ...not listed as required by 406.5(E). There is a lot of things that the manufacturers are doing like this. Note that the information that you posted only says that the receptacle itself is listed, and also note that its spill rating is based on IP 54 and not section 149 of UL 498 as required for the countertop listing. While is says it complies with UL 498, there are a lot of different products covered by that UL Projuse Standard. When you see "conforms to" in the manufacturer's information, that almost always means that they think they have designed and manufactured their product standard, but they have not actually had the product evaluated to that standard.
When I look up the ETL listing number, that device is listed as "cord reel or multioutlet assembly" and not as a countertop receptacle assembly.

Last edited:

WSG

MN elec contractor
Occupation
Electrician & Contracor
Here is a pic of one in stock at a wholesaler I use.

Personally, I think there service life of any pop up type receptacle is less than a fixed-in-place receptacle. Cleanliness? I see these pop-up's collecting grit, dirt, grime etc...

I understand the safety hazard of cords hanging over the countertop. Would like to see some data related to this hazard. Everything is a tradeoff...

I'd probably price each pop-up receptacle at around $350-400 each. A cut-in receptacle at the end of the island would be at around half of that

Screenshot_20211026-142913.png

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Look up the details ...not listed as required by 406.5(E). There is a lot of things that the manufacturers are doing like this. Note that the information that you posted only says that the receptacle itself is listed, and also note that its spill rating is based on IP 54 and not section 149 of UL 498 as required for the countertop listing. While is says it complies with UL 498, there are a lot of different products covered by that UL Projuse Standard. When you see "conforms to" in the manufacturer's information, that almost always means that they think they have designed and manufactured their product standard, but they have not actually had the product evaluated to that standard.
When I look up the ETL listing number, that device is listed as "cord reel or multioutlet assembly" and not as a countertop receptacle assembly.
I did notice that the receptacle was listed and was curious as to why the entire assembly wasn’t listed.
I see now…

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Here is a pic of one in stock at a wholesaler I use.

Personally, I think there service life of any pop up type receptacle is less than a fixed-in-place receptacle. Cleanliness? I see these pop-up's collecting grit, dirt, grime etc...

I understand the safety hazard of cords hanging over the countertop. Would like to see some data related to this hazard. Everything is a tradeoff...

I'd probably price each pop-up receptacle at around $350-400 each. A cut-in receptacle at the end of the island would be at around half of that

View attachment 2558201
That one was fine in the 2014 code where the only restriction was that the receptacle couple not be face up in the counter top. That changed with the 2017 code and the new requirement for the counter top receptacle assembly to be specifically listed for that purpose.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That one was fine in the 2014 code where the only restriction was that the receptacle couple not be face up in the counter top. That changed with the 2017 code and the new requirement for the counter top receptacle assembly to be specifically listed for that purpose.
But it doesn't say specifically listed for kitchen around water. I will assume when the give the definition they will spell that out.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don how are we to know if this is allowed..

From Page 49 https://www.mockett.com/pdf/cat23/Mockett-Catalog-2019-life.pdf

Kitchen Power
These kitchen power grommets are water resistant and can be mounted anywhere convenient power access is needed, whether at home or at the office in counter tops, kitchen islands, break rooms, and more. UL listed for wet areas and kitchen use. K

PCS77A PCS103 POP-UP KITCHEN POWER® GROMMET Add convenient power access where you need it on the counter top or in kitchen islands with a water tight popup power solution. GFCI protected and includes Tamper Resistant receptacles, making it safe for the whole family. Press down on the top to pop up and access power, then press down to hide away nearly flush when not in use. Water tight seal prevents liquids from getting inside the unit and meets both UL and NEC requirements. Comes with 6' hardwire whip with 12 gauge 3 conductor wire.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
But it doesn't say specifically listed for kitchen around water. I will assume when the give the definition they will spell that out.
It did not require that type of listing in the 2014 and earlier. That requirement came with the 2017 code change, where they specified that any receptacle in a countertop, face up or not, had to be listed as a countertop receptacle assembly. The listing standard specifies the leak test requirements.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don how are we to know if this is allowed..

From Page 49 https://www.mockett.com/pdf/cat23/Mockett-Catalog-2019-life.pdf
You have to do some digging into what that is listed as. The only listing standard that the product says it complies with is UL 943. So the only thing listed is the GFCI receptacle. You need to find one that says it is listed to UL 498, section 149 for a kitchen countertop receptacle assembly. That takes a lot of digging depending on which listing agency listed the product.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.

Sounds like they'll need to rethink that........~RJ~

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
From just expanding the requirements from one to one based on square footage for these to removing the requirements. Nice consistency. Was something legalized where these panels met?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I forget who it was but several years ago someone suggested a cord drop from the ceiling, over the island.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
Instead of just an induction cooktop or wireless phone charging, maybe someone should be working on an entire induction/wireless countertop! Just place down a blender, etc. anywhere--no cords needed! It's a Tesla kitchen.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Instead of just an induction cooktop or wireless phone charging, maybe someone should be working on an entire induction/wireless countertop! Just place down a blender, etc. anywhere--no cords needed! It's a Tesla kitchen.
I believe there used to be a system with a number of appliances you just set down on the counter on a shaft assy where the motor was under the counter. It has been a long time since I saw it, so my memory is pretty fuzzy (on many things).

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Here you go, looks like it's being worked on

Status
Not open for further replies.