250.20 SYSTEM GROUNDING (B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby ocampo

The way I read it is that if it's less than 150 volts it has to be grounded. Not the other way around.

250.20 (B)(1)Where the system is 1-phase and can be grounded so that the MAXIMUM voltage to ground on the ungrounded conductor does not exceed 150 volts

Does it mean that if it is single phase and the maximum voltage to ground exceeds 150volts the code allows it to be UNGROUNDED?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
250.20 (B)(1)Where the system is 1-phase and can be grounded so that the MAXIMUM voltage to ground on the ungrounded conductor does not exceed 150 volts

Does it mean that if it is single phase and the maximum voltage to ground exceeds 150volts the code allows it to be UNGROUNDED?

Yes, if your statement means that the line to line voltage is >150V and there is no center tap neutral. But all conditions for ungrounded systems will then apply.

bobby ocampo

Yes, if your statement means that the line to line voltage is >150V and there is no center tap neutral. But all conditions for ungrounded systems will then apply.

Why would the code allow UNGROUNDED for voltage to ground higher than 150volts? While not allow UNGROUNDED for lower than 150 volts to ground?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Why would the code allow UNGROUNDED for voltage to ground higher than 150volts? While not allow UNGROUNDED for lower than 150 volts to ground?

How would you ground a 240 volt single phase separately derived system? This section (1) refers to connecting a hot conductor to the earth. (2) is for wye systems and (3) is for hig leg deltas.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
How would you ground a 240 volt single phase separately derived system? This section (1) refers to connecting a hot conductor to the earth. (2) is for wye systems and (3) is for hig leg deltas.

There are no "hot" conductors until a grounded conductor is established. This is part of the reason for confusion with many people when they see a corner grounded system. Or a situation I ran into recently with European equipment that I connected. The Equipment was designed for 240 volts single phase - but in most European installs that is 240 volts to ground. They send out a transformer with that equipment and it is two wire output 240 volts one side grounded. The equipment guy seemed surprised when I told him I had no problem understanding how to connect that he said most electricians tell him you cant ground a 240 volt lead, I told him you can ground any lead - you just can't ground two different leads of the system.

bobby ocampo

Why will the code allow a system greater than 150 volts to ground be UNGROUNDED and not allow it for system with lower than 150 volts to ground?

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician

Why will the code allow a system greater than 150 volts to ground be UNGROUNDED and not allow it for system with lower than 150 volts to ground?

My thinking is that (B)(1) applies to systems normally used in dwellings and that the NEC is indirectly making dwelling grounding requirements through the requirement that (B)(1) details.

kwired

Electron manager
I totally disagree with that.

Define "hot conductor".

I am assuming most would call it a conductor that has potential to ground. Until you establish a ground reference in any voltage system, you don't have significant potential to ground - you can have capacitively coupled voltages but they typically don't have much power behind them for under 600 volt systems.

A few posts back you asked "How would you ground a 240 volt single phase separately derived system?"

You can ground either leg, but not both at same time. There is no "hot" until the opposing leg is grounded.

bobby ocampo

My thinking is that (B)(1) applies to systems normally used in dwellings and that the NEC is indirectly making dwelling grounding requirements through the requirement that (B)(1) details.

Does premises wiring applies only to dwelling units based on the definition of premises wiring in the Code?

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Define "hot conductor".

I am assuming most would call it a conductor that has potential to ground. Until you establish a ground reference in any voltage system, you don't have significant potential to ground - you can have capacitively coupled voltages but they typically don't have much power behind them for under 600 volt systems.

A few posts back you asked "How would you ground a 240 volt single phase separately derived system?"

You can ground either leg, but not both at same time. There is no "hot" until the opposing leg is grounded.

I understand you line of thinking, but what if I have a generator with no grounded conductor. Does that mean there is no 'hot' conductor?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I understand you line of thinking, but what if I have a generator with no grounded conductor. Does that mean there is no 'hot' conductor?

You have two (or more) warm conductors instead.
They are all ungrounded conductors, which is why the code tends to use that rather than "hot" as a descriptive term.

kwired

Electron manager
Absolutely, none of them are "hot" until one of them becomes grounded - whether intentionally grounded or not. It will be safe to touch any conductor of the system, just don't touch more then one conductor at a time. Once one of them is grounded you have a ground reference and you need to be more careful about ensuring you are insulated from ground before it would be safe to touch any other ungrounded conductor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.