6 disconnect rule violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Re: 6 disconnect rule violation?

Mike
it is a split buss which it will have two service entrance feeds, then it is two panelboards in one cabinet and not one panelboard, like a breaker panel with one panelboard.
The panelboard is the bus's and mounting hardware that mounts inside of the cabinet.
Example:
408.18 Enclosure.
Panelboards shall be mounted in cabinets, cutout boxes, or enclosures designed for the purpose and shall be dead-front.
Panelboard. A single panel or group of panel units designed for assembly in the form of a single panel, including buses and automatic overcurrent devices, and equipped with or without switches for the control of light, heat, or power circuits; designed to be placed in a cabinet or cutout box placed in or against a wall, partition, or other support; and accessible only from the front.
408.16 states "Each lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard" so this will apply to each section of a split buss panel,
Around here we had many split buss services in which they would have two sets of SEC's from two meters, one panelboard would not have a main and only supply line to line loads (power panelboard) (heating/cooling loads) and the other section would have a main and would supply all the branch circuits. these would all be in one large cabinet.

Edited to change some word's to make sense. :eek:

[ November 28, 2005, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

jwelectric

Wayne it is getting late and I am going to bed.

You have completely missed the bus with your last post.

225.31 Disconnecting Means.
Means shall be provided for disconnecting all ungrounded conductors that supply or pass through the building or structure.
Notice that I used bold text to highlight the word supply on the section above. When feeders supply current to a remote building then a disconnect is required at that building.
The over current device protecting the feeders can not be used as this disconnect.

Your statement that the bus bars inside the panel become an extension of the feeders and that the disconnect outlined in 408.36 exception one is the disconnect for the feeder and the over current devices in the panel becomes the disconnecting means for the remote building with six 20 amp single pole breakers will not fly.
It is not the rating of the panel that 225.39 is referring to, it is the rating of the disconnecting means which in your case would be the six 20 amp breakers. This would equate to a 120 amp rating and would require a 125 amp panel with #1 AWG feeders and a 125 amp breaker protecting the feeders.

In order to use the handle tie for the single pole breakers they must be part of a multiwire circuit as outlined in 225.33(B). 210.4(C) states that a multiwire circuit is to supply line to neutral loads only. There is an exception that allows multiwire circuits to supply line to line circuits for only one utilization equipment.

We can?t read just one or two sections of the code and make a call on the parts that fit our desires. The code is all encompassing and fits together to make a complete book.
This is pointed out in 225.36
225.36 Suitable for Service Equipment.
The disconnecting means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as service equipment.
Bob posted a insert that came out of one of the panels that he installed here.
Notice the reference to 384 of the NEC. This has been changed to 408 of the NEC and this is where we find the section requiring the lighting panel to be protected by not more than two mains not a bunch of single poles tied together.

jwelectric

Originally posted by hurk27
Mike
it is a split buss which it will have two service entrance feeds, then it is two panelboards in one cabinet and not one panelboard, like a breaker panel with one panelboard.
The panelboard is the bus's and mounting hardware that mounts inside of the cabinet.
No my friend this panel has only one SE cable coming to it. There are two mains in this panel, one for the lighting circuits and water heater (located at the bottom) and one for the range.

This panel is a good example of the two mains mentioned in 408.36.

Here is a picture of a split bus panel. this is not a good picture but you can see that one of the breakers is feeding the second set of bus bars in the panel.

NoMain.jpg

hurk27

Mike after going back and reading your post of earlier, I have to ask:
1 For what reason would we install an OCPD at the house to protect just the feeders? when we can run unprotected service cables around the yard all we want without any protection?

2 What purpose will it be for to have another OCPD at the garage.
Is it for a safety reason?

I don't have a problem with protection of a panel board, as if we did start using 20 or 40 space panels when applying 230.71, I could see real quick where it would be very overloaded after the first remodel was done.
But I do not see this same danger if the feeders supplying it are protected at or less than the rating of the panelboard

But what I do not see is a difference in a power panelboard than a lighting and appliance panel, Either one can be just as over loaded for the very same reason's.

This was one of the reasons I pointed out the UL marking guide, and the one requirement of not more than the amount of spaces with listed handle ties or multiple-pole breakers that all available spaces would be used.
Of course This was for services and not OCPD protected feeder fed panels, as I posted kind of in the wrong thread. But it all applies as with a protected feeder the only safety problem is with number of disconnects, not overcurrent protection,

I keep hearing that the NEC is not about what someone would do in the future.
Well I ask how did all these rules come about if it wasn't because of something that someone did in their future that caused fires or shocks or other hazards. closet light space rules? because someone put a box against it? Type "S" plug fuses wasn't because someone wouldn't put a bigger fuse in would it? and even to require over current protection wouldn't be required if no one would ever over load a circuit. H'MMMM sounds like preventing future problems and hazards to me.

The problem is on the legal side of the issue, and that is if the code doesn't require it then it's not required unless it is legally adopted in your location.

Mike after thinking about the photo of the split bus panel I could see where 408.16 would apply if the bus feeding each section was tied together to allow a single feed, but if it was fed like in a reduced rate metering for heating, then each section would be a separate panelboard, each subject to the requirements of 408.16, But then this would be no differant from a breaker panel with 6 such OCPD's in it acting as mains. as we are allowed by 230.71(A)
not more than six switches and sets of circuit breakers, mounted in a single enclosure

hurk27

Mike in that photo If that is a unprotected service entrance cable coming in from the bottom connecting to a lug to bus kit, all these breakers would be mains. As all of them would have to be turned off to disconnect power to this panel, turning off the one feeding the upper part would only turn off that section, By the way I count 8 handles, the double pole tandem is two disconnects, I have never seen this panel fed like this. If the total of all these breakers was loaded to max this panel would meltdown. now if the SEC is protected then there is no mains in this panel just branch circuit breakers and feeder breakers.

If this panel was fed in the right manner the top section would only be for line to line loads which would not require overload protection, a back fed main on the bottom section would allow lighting and appliance branch circuits to be in it. There would still not be two mains.
you could put two main in it to use the whole panel as a LABCPB but each section would be protected by its main and there would be no reason to add the breakers together as the mains are not fed through any rated buses. just the service entrance cables that you shouldn't over load which doesn't have anything to do with 408.16

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by jwelectric:
225.31 requires a disconnect. 225.39 requires it to be rated per the installation.
Right.

Now lets try to remember that an overcurrent device when a breaker can also be the disconnect.
More importantly, let's remember that a disconnecting means does not protect against overcurrent.

And let's also remember that 225.31 is not calling for overcurrent protection.

A breaker is installed to protect feeders going to a detached building. This building is required to have a disconnect rated for the installation located at the building.
Knowing this much tells us that exception one of 408.36(A) can not be applied for the disconnect at this detached building.
Why not? Address this question head-on, Mike. Where does it state that the overcurrent protection for a panelboard cannot exist on a detached building? In fact, Exception No. 1 exactly contradicts your stance: read it closer. Where the feeder is protected against overcurrent at a rating not exceeding the rating of the panel, protection at the panel in question is not required under any circumstance, according to this section.

We are required to install a disconnect at this remote location regardless of what is located inside the house.
Disconnect, yes. OCPD, no. It's already protected.

The requirement found in 225.39 makes it very clear that we can either install a disconnect and then feed the panel or we can install a panel with a disconnect already in it.
Are we looking at the same book? There is nothing of the sort in 225.39. There are a bunch of undefined ratings, but nothing about what you're talking about. :mad:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by hurk27:
I keep hearing that the NEC is not about what someone would do in the future.
That's absolutely right.

Well I ask how did all these rules come about if it wasn't because of something that someone did in their future that caused fires or shocks or other hazards. closet light space rules? because someone put a box against it?
Well, er, ah, yeah, but...

Type "S" plug fuses wasn't because someone wouldn't put a bigger fuse in would it?
Well, sure, but ahh....

H'MMMM sounds like preventing future problems and hazards to me.
Well, er, shut up! The inspectors are going to hear you! :D :D :D

geezer

Inactive, Email Never Verified

Hello everyone!

Been gone for a few days. I see things have moved along a bit.

Does anyone agree with me yet?
:)

jwelectric

George and Wayne I have addressed your questions about the disconnect at the second building but I am not saying what you want to hear therefore this disagreement.

Wayne the split bus panel that is posted above is no longer allowed by 408.36(A) but the ones that are existing are allowed to stay.

Now I will do this one more and last time for your benefit.

225.31 requires a disconnect to be installed at the remote building. This can not be done away with by protecting the feeders.

225.32 requires it to be readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.

225.33(A) requires this disconnect to consist of not more than six switches or six circuit breaker

225.33(B) allows the use of handle ties on two or three single-pole breakers of multiwire circuits only
Take note that the use of handle ties on two or three single pole breakers where each is utilizing the neutral is NOT allowed.

The disconnecting means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as service equipment.
I guess that you are saying that I can tie the handles of all the single pole breakers in the service and call it one disconnect.
What is this service equipment?
Service Equipment. The necessary equipment, usually consisting of a circuit breaker(s) or switch(es) and fuse(s) and their accessories, connected to the load end of service conductors to a building or other structure, or an otherwise designated area, and intended to constitute the main control and cutoff of the supply.
I also look at parts five, six and seven of 230 for a better understanding of service equipment and the FPN found at 230.71 refers me to 408.36(A)

225.37 tells that it is to be identified but exception two relieves this requirement for dwellings

225.38 outlines the construction and operation of the disconnect

225,39 outlines the rating of the of this disconnect. (A) is for a single circuit and is can use a switch for this. (B) states that a two wire (multiwire) circuit is to be 30 amps so a 15 or 20 amp circuit to a utility shed is not allowed. (C) dwellings are to be no less than 100 amp and (D) all others no less than 60 amps.

To summarize all this, a disconnect is required at the building and the OCPD protecting the feeders does not conform to this disconnect. This disconnect has to be rated as service equipment and this will include 408.36(A).
The use of handle ties are allowed on multiwire circuits only. If more than 10% of the circuits are rated at 30 amps or less and utilize the neutral then a main is required for this panel. The use of six single pole breakers as the disconnecting means will not comply with ?rated as service equipment? and is a violation of 225.33(B).

Now I have pointed out each section as it applies to this remote building weather it is liked or not does not matter.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by geezer: Hello everyone! Been gone for a few days. I see things have moved along a bit. Does anyone agree with me yet?
I don't know. What did you say? Or are you going to ask me to go to the beginning and read for myself? :D :D :D

bphgravity

I trying to look at this from the view point of life and property safety.

A service is installed and serves one 15A branch circuit. 230.79(A) requires a 15A rated service diconnect.

A 15A branch circuit to a separate building is installed. 225.79(A) requires a 15A rated branch circuit disconnect.

So far everything is equal.

Now, lets say a service is installed for a general structure with multiple loads. 230.79(D) requires at least 60A rated service disconnect, however, 230.80 and 230.71 permits me to install say 4-15A rated switches for this purpose.

A feeder installed to a general strcuture with mulitple loads also requires a 60A rated feeder disconnect. What safety hazard is presented if the same method as above is provided for this feeder, say 4-15A switches? the code deos not appear to permit this the way I read it, but I don't know why not.

The feeder is inherently safer than the service due to the fact that the feeder has overcurrent protection and a means of disconnect at the main structure.

So bottom line is that I don't see why a main disconnect rated per 225.39 is needed when individual branch circuit disconnects also rated per 225.39 are installed when not numbering more than 6 in total, at least from the viewpoint of safety.

jwelectric

Originally posted by bphgravity:

Now, lets say a service is installed for a general structure with multiple loads. 230.79(D) requires at least 60A rated service disconnect, however, 230.80 and 230.71 permits me to install say 4-15A rated switches for this purpose.
I think that you might need to look a little closer at 230.71(B);

(B) Single-Pole Units. Two or three single-pole switches or breakers, capable of individual operation, shall be permitted on multiwire circuits, one pole for each ungrounded conductor, as one multipole disconnect, provided they are equipped with handle ties or a master handle to disconnect all conductors of the service with no more than six operations of the hand.

FPN: See 408.36(A) for service equipment in panelboards, and see 430.95 for service equipment in motor control centers.
The use of single pole switches or breakers require them to be part of a multiwire circuit. We can?t just slap a handle tie on any breaker and call it a disconnect either in the service or the disconnect for a remote building. Also note that the FPN refers us to 408.36(A).

This same rule holds true for outside feeders and branch circuits as outlined in 225.

bphgravity

I'm not using any handle ties in the example I provided. I simply have 4 service disconnects of the six permitted.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer

225.31 requires a disconnect to be installed at the remote building. This can not be done away with by protecting the feeders.

225.32 requires it to be readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.

225.33(A) requires this disconnect to consist of not more than six switches or six circuit breaker

225.33(B) allows the use of handle ties on two or three single-pole breakers of multiwire circuits only.
Take note that the use of handle ties on two or three single pole breakers where each is utilizing the neutral is NOT allowed.

I guess that you are saying that I can tie the handles of all the single pole breakers in the service and call it one disconnect.

225.37 tells that it is to be identified but exception two relieves this requirement for dwellings

225.38 outlines the construction and operation of the disconnect

225.39 outlines the rating of the of this disconnect. (A) is for a single circuit and is can use a switch for this. (B) states that a two wire (multiwire) circuit is to be 30 amps so a 15 or 20 amp circuit to a utility shed is not allowed. (C) dwellings are to be no less than 100 amp and (D) all others no less than 60 amps.

To summarize all this, a disconnect is required at the building and the OCPD protecting the feeders does not conform to this disconnect. This disconnect has to be rated as service equipment and this will include 408.36(A).
The use of handle ties are allowed on multiwire circuits only. If more than 10% of the circuits are rated at 30 amps or less and utilize the neutral then a main is required for this panel. The use of six single pole breakers as the disconnecting means will not comply with ?rated as service equipment? and is a violation of 225.33(B).
I only take issue with the following:
225.39(B) - If you have a feeder to a panel with two separate branch circuits, then I agree you need a 30A disconnect. However, I believe a multiwire branch circuit may be considered as one branch circuit so you should be able to fall under 225.39(A)

The six separate switches can not be a violation of 225.33(B). I think you meant it would be a violation of the Service Equipment rule 225.36. This is probably the most debatable point of all. I think we can all agree that a 6 breaker panel would be fine here if it was a power panel. So why should a lighting and appliance panel be any different? In a true Service situation, you can not easily remove the source power to the panel, so you have more energized bus space (up to 12 or 18 slots worth). I don't know if this is related to why L&A panels are limited to two mains instead of six, but if it is that shouldn't be a worry since this is fed from a feeder. The fundamental question here is whether Exception 1 to the one or two main breakers on a L&A panel invalidates the Suitable for Use as Service Equipment labeling. I don't think enough of us know the answer to that, but most places seem to allow six breakers on a feeder supplied L&A panelboard. But that doesn't mean its right...

mvannevel

The use of single pole switches or breakers require them to be part of a multiwire circuit. We can?t just slap a handle tie on any breaker and call it a disconnect either in the service or the disconnect for a remote building. Also note that the FPN refers us to 408.36(A).

This same rule holds true for outside feeders and branch circuits as outlined in 225.

Nowhere in 230.71(B) or in 225.33(B) (from the 2002 Code here) does the code require single pole breakers to have handle ties in these instances. These sections merely permit the use of them on multiwire circuits as a means of meeting the "6 disconnect rule". The FPN reference to Article 408 (in addition to not being code language) has no bearing on the use of handle ties. Bear in mind here that these multiwire circuits would not be required to have a handle tie on the breaker unless they supply more than one receptacle on the same yoke. We're simply getting permission to tie the breakers together only on multiwire circuits in order to make that one swipe of the hand rather than two.

We have two buildings on the same property supplied from the same service so 225.30 says the additional building can be supplied by one feeder (with exceptions as noted). 225.31 and 32 tell us we need a disconnecting means for this building and where it needs to be located. 225.33(A) tells us that it must consist of not more than 6 switches or breakers and (B) tells us that on multiwire circuits we can use handle ties on single pole breakers. Now, this panel does indeed contain 10% or more of the breakers rated 30 amperes or less and requiring a neutral so it is indeed a lighting and appliance panelboard. The exception to 408.16(A) tells us we don't need individual protection at the panelboard if the feeder has overcurrent protection not greater than the rating of the panelboard. Which it does. So we're allowed to use the "6 switch rule" in this instance. Nowhere does this change just because this is a remote building. Now, since we can use the "6 switch rule", we go back to 225.39 to look at the rating of the disconnect required. This is not a single family dwelling and we have more than two branch circuits, so the rating of the disconnecting means must be at least 60 amperes. For the sake of our example, let's say we've used a 100 ampere MLO panel. We've now met the requirement of 225.39. Note that we do not have to add up the handles here as there is not a requirement in 225 for us to do so like there is in 230.80.

I have installed this same set-up, as well as approved it on inspections, in numerous jurisdictions. I've never met an inspector who wouldn't approve it, although I'm sure there are some who won't. I believe it to be a totally code compliant installation.

Mike, you and I will never agree on this issue. Nothing I say will sway you and nothing you say will sway me. We read the same words in the code book, but come up with different interpretations of what is said. Just like happens every day on job sites across the country when inspectors and electricians disagree on what the code means. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just the way things are.

(Edited for spelling)

[ November 28, 2005, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: mvannevel ]

geezer

It is a shame that we sometimes must do stupid stuff like that just to shut an inspector up.Solves nothing.
Inspect the present, go home and sleep knowing you did your job.
To me,that just adds more power to a person who is abusing the power intrusted in him/her in the first place.
1. 225.33
Not at all. That is part of what the appeal process is for. In some circumstances I really wish to see an appeal. May be hard to believe, but in some instances, I am not thrilled with the requirement that I am enforcing. The code is adopted by the local government body, and I am charged with enforcing it. I may not be in complete agreement with some requirements, and some I may outright disagree with, but like them or not I am responsible to enforce them. My interpretation is always open to discussion. A decision rendered by an appeal actually diffuses the tension that can be created when an agreement is not otherwise reached. The appeal process also effectively allows an appeal board appointed by the government that employs me to decide to forgo code requirements that I think that I cannot. In some cases, I have strongly encouraged the appeal.
3. I would not necessesarily call an appeal decision to disagree with my interpretation or to overturn my decision to be a loss.
That is pretty much a definition for abuse of power and if that is how you do your job you should be fired ASAP.
Calm down guys. Let's say I'm both wrong and
ignorant. If I thought that I was making the correct decision, I would not lose sleep over it.
First of all, maybe I could be convinced of the error of my ways. As I said you can appeal to my boss, if he is also both wrong and ignorant, you still have other options as you already know. I would not hold a grudge against a person who disagreed with my decision. I am glad that the appeal process is in place and is very accessible. I am not intending to abuse my position and would have no problem being corrected. Heck, I'm easy, ya almost got me convinced already. I will agree that the wording of my post would lead you to conclude that I have a very bad attitude. It was not meant to sound that way.
I guess if you write enough red tags they can afford to.If you can sleep knowing your steeling when your righting tags that are for non violations then good for you.Even when you back down on a red tag you already have stole the EC time.
OK lets say that I am wrong, ignorant, AND overpaid and, incompetent. If I made an error in judgment and needed to be educated, does that make me a thief? Is everyone who makes a mistake a thief?

I would not sleep at all if I knowingly red-tagged a job that was done correctly. Not even if you sang a lullaby to me sweetly.
Here in Ohio the AHJ is the local Building Commissioner. We as State Certified Electrical Inspectors act on behalf of the AHJ and carry the same authority. If someone wants to challenge our judgement, all they have to do is phone our boss. His decission is final. If someone doesn't agree with him, then you would submit your claim to the State. Until the state decides, the local AHJ's decission is in effect.
When you write a red tag, someone has to deal with it. Either by talking on the phone, driving out there, or physically doing the remedies you require. You are compensated for your time, even when it is addressing the people you tag about the event.
As an inspector, you must rely on your experience, you eyes and your instincts in your work. You walk in, your eyes come to, in this case, a panel with lots of spaces and a single breaker, and your experience and instincts seize on it. That's good.

Your next reflex is to grab the tag and write it up: That's bad. Your first reflex should be to grab the NEC and verify that there is a violation before grabbing the tag.

The section you would use to cite actually permits the installation. Right there, you have saved the GC and the EC money, and have spared the installer the hassle of defending his work. You have done your job well.

I commend you for standing your ground and admitting to what you'd normally do, and for being honest. Being honest about unpopular behavior may bring in a few arrows, but it is how I have learned from some of my easiest to recall mistakes. Being willing to be unpopular for the sake of learning is admirable, IMO.
if you have been reading all the posts not just the ones that agree with you, there are two interpretations, in the state I inspect the inspector has the authority to make interpretations of the code, if the contractor does not agree, he can take him to board of appeals, and for your info, it costs the contractor about $120 dollars to file an appeal, about a month or two to get your case heard, and a 50/50 chance of winning, would it be worth it? if I was a contractor, let me think, cannot get paid because the job failed, unhappy homeowner, spend money to appeal, my time to go to appeal, or buy a main breaker, which one would you chose?
do you think it would be a no lose situation at an appeals hearing?
I can summarize that. Assume I've got a gun pointed at you. "Do you feel lucky, punk?".
No it would not be worth it but the EC should not have to do that if you enforce the code as written.

I kind of a agree with a past post that intentionally making a ruling that is not within the wording of the NEC tantamount to steeling.
As a business decision, it is hard to have to wait so long. The downside of letting it slipe by is the inspector is being enabled to continue his/her poor conduct and it hurts all involved. So, this does become a large issue and maybe worth fighting for...that decision can only be made by the individual involved.
The ultimate way around all of this is proper inspector training.
Big differance between interpretating and making up your own rules.If i had to deal with a system and inspector like this i would be sure his demands are in writing.Next step after the head electrical chief won't help is to change the work so that it passes.Then take it to appeals.If i win then i would proceed to send them a bill and take it to court.
Worth it for just one job NO.But if enough contractors fight back they might start using the code book.Only other choice is to throw away the nec and just do what ever they tell you too.Stand up to them and they will think twice about citing anything they cant site a numer for.
If the code enforcement official had an attitude that is displayed by this post then the general contractor, financial intuition, home owner and I would be in it for the long haul.

After the appeal process, should I win, I would file a civil suit against the code enforcement official for reimbursement of all financial losses.

One thing to remember is that in civil court the cases are awarded based on the ponderous of evidence not on the shadow of doubt outlined in criminal cases. The only thing that I would to prove is that your decision was made by personal preference and not the facts outlined by written word.

So now the question comes back at you, which would you choose? Are you that sure that you are right?
Would you take the chance of having a judgment rendered against you for several thousand dollars?

If the inspector is right then show me where you are right and I have no problem with repairing the fault. For an inspector to use the appeal procedures to try and make me accept his belief is for him to take his first step toward unemployment.

In closing I make this statement, if you were in my jurisdiction and I knew that you were n my jurisdiction this post would be lying on the desk of the chairman of the board of directors Monday morning.
I have more respect for Jessie James than an inspector that uses his powers to win his arguments by using time factor and $120 to fight him.And i too would see that this post was handed to many in his area,including TV stations.Red tag me for violations that are clear in the code book not just your opinion and you will earn my respect.Years ago Naples Florida had a problem with an inspector like this.Some guys threatened to throw him off a high rise,he resigned rather fast. /QUOTE]

let me first clarify my position, I DO NOT and HAVE NEVER, failed anybody for example, I just do not like it, not in my town, you know what I mean, your job as an inspector is not to make up your own rules or slow the job down, your job is to inspect and make a decision based on the NEC and the best information available to you, but you will be required to make interpretations popular & unpopular, how many times have you been at a seminar and have 6 different opinions on one code section and after an hour of debate you still do not have full agreement, does that mean whoever did not agree with the instructor is stealing, has poor conduct, needs re-training or should be fired, give me a break! if this post was such a clear cut decision we would not have 9 pages of posts. and my point on board on appeals is as a contractor that is your only recourse if you cannot work it out with the inspector, and believe me I would much rather work it out then sit at an appeals hearing for this! sorry if I got people worked up over that post, that was not my intention.
When I said that I made it clear that I was not talking about an inspector simply making an honest mistake.... as we all do.

I was referring to an inspector making a ruling fully believing they would be a 50 / 50 chance the ruling was wrong.

If an inspector has an issue that they are that doubtful about wouldn't it be more responsible to find out the more about the code section rather than saying "No big deal, they can win on appeal"?
If I were inspecting the job, I would require a main breaker and main breaker hold down. I would sleep just fine, not feel at all as though I was abusive, and you have the option to appeal to my boss, to the local construction board of appeals, to the state construction board of appeals, and to the civil courts.
I assume that the last statement above is the cause of a lot of the preceding statements. Lets see now, according to some of you
1) I am abusing power as an inspector.
2) I am a thief.
3) I should be reported to my bosses for having a bad attitude.
4) I should be fired.

Is that all?

I can see that the statement that I made could be interpreted the way that many of you seem to have interpreted it(especially with the little graemlins attached). As I said earlier, If I think that I am interpreting the code correctly, I will not lose sleep over it if someone disagrees with me. I pointed out that there is a process for appealing my decision. That was not meant as a challenge to anyone. It was meant to acknowledge the fact that whether right or wrong, I am not the final word on matters of disagreement. I realize that the appeal process is not the best solution. The best solution of course is a discussion of the issue between myself and the other party involved in the disagreement. My boss is almost always just a phone call away. In the areas where I work, the appeal board must meet within 72 hours of the request. The process slows down quite a bit after that.
I understand a contractors frustration at having to be put through any of these steps when he knows or thinks he has wrongly been red-tagged.
If, as an inspector I think that I am interpreting the code correctly, what alternatives beyond discussion of the matter at hand, and informing the other party of their right to appeal , would you all suggest?
As you see, I am not discussing the specifics of the original post. I am addressing the issue of attitudes toward, and dealing with an inspector who may or may not be incorrect in interpretation of the code.
I would not knowingly enforce something that I did not believe to be a code requirement. In instances where I am unsure, I inform the contractor of the issue under consideration, research the issue, and consult with those (of which there are many), who are more knowledgeable than myself.
I do always cite the code when writing correction notices. The electrician then at least knows what section of the code I am basing the decision on.

Sorry about the length of the post, I did quite a bit of cut and paste to illustrate what issues I was addressing.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Geezer,
Sorry about the length of the post, I did quite a bit of cut and paste to illustrate what issues I was addressing.
no kidding. So what is it you are addressing, that you make up your own rules or what? :D

Roger

websparky

Roger,

Your comment is quite a stretch as to the content of the post. Anyone here should have the courtesy to speak their mind without someone posting like that.

Grow up.

jimwalker

Lets just put it the way it is.I get red tag and i have the GC on the phone mad at me because its holding up the job,perhaps holding up a closing.If this is a major contractor / builder i am going to get this resolved very fast.First move is call the inspector.Next is call the chief.If that fails right or wrong i am gonna change it so i keep my GC happy.Calling you a thief is a bit overboard but fact remains you have just cost both me and the GC some money and time.Now if after the appeal and i win do you not think we should get paid for our loss ? If we don't get paid then what nice name would you care to call this.It is money out of my pocket :mad: :mad: :mad:
All i ask is you site the number you say i violated.If it's gray then we talk it out.But to charge a fee for me to chalenge you is wrong.If i win do i get that $120 back ?

[ November 28, 2005, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

geezer

All i ask is you site the number you say i violated.If it's gray then we talk it out.But to charge a fee for me to chalenge you is wrong.
I thought that I addressed that in my last post. Please check it out.

[ November 28, 2005, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: geezer ]

Status
Not open for further replies.