Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: 6 disconnect rule violation?

Originally posted by geezer:
If I were inspecting the job, I would require a main breaker and main breaker hold down. I would sleep just fine, not feel at all as though I was abusive
IMO, and in the opinions of some others (as evidenced by the shrapnel flying around), we consider it to be an abuse when you make something up that looks good.

When you write a red tag, someone has to deal with it. Either by talking on the phone, driving out there, or physically doing the remedies you require. You are compensated for your time, even when it is addressing the people you tag about the event.

We don't. I do, because I am a peon. But my employer sees no return for the time spent with failed inspections. If we genuinely screwed up, we have it coming. If it's bogus, money just flew out the window unecessarily that will never be seen again.

...and you have the option to appeal to my boss, to the local construction board of appeals, to the state construction board of appeals, and to the civil courts.
And more and more time and money flies out the window at hurricane force as that road is travelled. There is a better solution.

As an inspector, you must rely on your experience, you eyes and your instincts in your work. You walk in, your eyes come to, in this case, a panel with lots of spaces and a single breaker, and your experience and instincts seize on it. That's good.

Your next reflex is to grab the tag and write it up: That's bad. Your first reflex should be to grab the NEC and verify that there is a violation before grabbing the tag.

The section you would use to cite actually permits the installation. Right there, you have saved the GC and the EC money, and have spared the installer the hassle of defending his work. You have done your job well.

I commend you for standing your ground and admitting to what you'd normally do, and for being honest. Being honest about unpopular behavior may bring in a few arrows, but it is how I have learned from some of my easiest to recall mistakes. Being willing to be unpopular for the sake of learning is admirable, IMO.

I ask that you take my solution into consideration in your work in the future.

Now, the thread has progressed to the point where the code violation is more accurate: instead of citing the wrong code for the wrong reasons (225.33), you see the real potential violation: 225.36, 110.3(B).

mdshunk

Originally posted by mpd:
so it sounds like that 42 circuit MLO panel does not meet the intent of art. 225
I don't see that at all. Intent aside, the text of 225 says disconnects, and makes no reference to the size of the enclosure in which the disconnects are housed. If the intent was to cause 42 ckt MLO panels to not be used, 225 would have included language so written. Attempting to discern intent is the same as guessing.

Originally posted by georgestolz:
...instead of citing the wrong code for the wrong reasons (225.33), you see the real potential violation: 225.36, 110.3(B).
Perhaps there could be a 225.26 and 110.3(B) violation, but I don't believe that MLO panelboards in most current product offerings would cause such a violation. It is my belief, based on leafing through catalogs and cut sheets, that almost any size of MLO panel would comply with 225, without regard to size.

[ November 24, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by mdshunk:
Intent aside, the text of 225 says disconnects, and makes no reference to the size of the enclosure in which the disconnects are housed.
225.36 Suitable for Service Equipment. The disconnecting means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as service equipment.
I take this to mean that the enclosure is marked "Suitable for use as service equipment."

For example, on a small home with a 100 amp service, I use a Siemens metermain. The breaker in the metermain is a standard QP 2-pole 100 amp breaker. The breaker is not "listed for use as service equipment" but the can it resides in is, with the breaker in it.

If the intent was to cause 42 ckt MLO panels to not be used, 225 would have included language so written.
Who knows what the intent is? I have submitted a proposal to delete some of this, if I had my druthers 225.36 would bite the dust too.

mpd

mdshunk

do you think the intent art. 225 is to have a 42 circuit MLO panel with no main in a detached structure?

mdshunk

mdshunk

do you think the intent art. 225 is to have a 42 circuit MLO panel with no main in a detached structure?
It matters not what I think or you think. We can only go by what is written. Any more than that, and we're guessing.

iwire

Staff member

mdshunk

What has that got to do with anything?

If we are guessing about intent then I would say the intent is to have not more than 6 means of disconnect at a separate structure grouped in one location.

You simply can not cite a code violation for this as there is none.

iwire

Staff member

iwire

i will take a guess art. 225.36.
How?

Was it rewritten overnight?

My recollection is that talks of disconnects.

Sorry wrong code article.

So how is 225.36 a limiting factor in the panel size?

[ November 24, 2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

mpd

iwire

"225.36 the disconnecting means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as service equipment"

so a 42 circuit MLO panel is suitable for use as service equipment?

iwire

Staff member

iwire

read the post by hurk27 on page 5,
Read Don's post right below it. :D

A quick check at Square D seems to indicate they sell 24 circuit single phase panels marked as 'suitable for service equipment'

I will look further after turkey to get some links.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

mpd,

The idea that 225 disallows a 42 space panel is erroneous. It would seem very odd to see a panel like that with only a few breakers in it, none of which are supplying the panel.

Where does it say that odd things are illegal?

After I came here and learned some things, I had occasion to run a GEC to an interior water pipe, and then ran a GEC from the water pipe to a ground rod outside, instead of sending that GEC back to the service as is our custom around here. My mentor looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my head, and it took some discussion to ease his mind that it was perfectly legal.

If the code permits something, that odd something deserves as much respect as the mundane run-of-the-mill installations.

Odd is legal, it just deserves some more attention to prove it. I tend to leave notes on questionable things I do. :p

It all hinges on whether the panel is listed for use as service equipment, which would change from model to model.

jimwalker

One might happen to have a 40 circuit ML panel on his truck.He would be ahead of the game to use it rather than loose 1 or 2 hours to go get a small panel.Cost is not that much differance.No violation untill someone adds that 7th breaker.Nec is about the now situation not the what if.If in future someone causes a violation that is not my problem.They also could at that time simply put in a main breaker and a lock in screw.

tshea

**OPENS another can of worms**
Since WE all agree that there is a 6 disconnect rule, why not "disble" part of the panel to prevent the installation of more than 6 2-pole breakers? Obviously we can not prevent the installation of 1-pole breakers, I've seen jobs where...
How would this be done depends on the panel type and style.

jbwhite

tshea, i think that hacksawing the buss bar would cancel the listing of the panel.

marc deschenes

Bob, take a close look at the listing info. it will say something quite like this

"Suitable for use as service entrance equipment when not more than six main disconnecting means are provided and when not used as a lighting and appliance branch circuit panel board.
See article 384.14 of the NEC. "

These are the notes I found that pertain to the main lug panels square d home line series

B UL Listed as suitable for use as service equipment (neutral bonded at the time of installation) with field-installed service disconnect.

C UL Listed as suitable for use as service equipment (neutral bonded at the time of installation) when not more than six service disconnecting means
are provided and when not used as a lighting and appliance branch circuit panelboard.

The original post most likely represents a violation in my opinion because it is a lighting and appliance branch circuit panel board.

Bob,there are panelboards with 12 spaces that can have 24 circuits , the 12 spaces allow for a combination of breakers to fill every space. I can not find a MLO panel over 12 spaces/24 circuits that is listed as suitable for service equipment.

marc deschenes

Originally posted by jimwalker:
One might happen to have a 40 circuit ML panel on his truck.He would be ahead of the game to use it rather than loose 1 or 2 hours to go get a small panel.Cost is not that much differance.No violation untill someone adds that 7th breaker.Nec is about the now situation not the what if.If in future someone causes a violation that is not my problem.They also could at that time simply put in a main breaker and a lock in screw.
Jim , if you can find a 40 circuit main lug only panel listed as suitable as service equipment I would love to see it.

tshea

Originally posted by jbwhite:
tshea, i think that hacksawing the buss bar would cancel the listing of the panel.
I was thinking more on the lines of installing non-reversing screws in the bus mount holes for bolt-on breakers. (A product I would not use on resi)
:D

jbwhite

i would think that any modification that you made to the panel would have to be approved by the mfg.

Status
Not open for further replies.