6" EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

marti smith

358.20 Size.

(A) Minimum. EMT smaller than metric designator 16 (trade size ?) shall not be used.

Exception: For enclosing the leads of motors as permitted in 430.245(B).

(B) Maximum. The maximum size of EMT shall be metric designator 103 (trade size 4).

O Lord, thank you for google. This way I don't ever have to go back in time and no journeyman can ever send me to go get something that doesn't exist or can't be used where I am. Thank you, Amen.

I'm scarred for life, I tell ya!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
358.20 Size.

(A) Minimum. EMT smaller than metric designator 16 (trade size ?) shall not be used.

(B) Maximum. The maximum size of EMT shall be metric designator 103 (trade size 4).

O Lord, thank you for google. This way I don't ever have to go back in time and no journeyman can ever send me to go get something that doesn't exist or can't be used where I am. Thank you, Amen.

Until they send you for a wire stretcher :) Avaialble in Google.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
358.20 Size.

I was in the Air Force, while I don't think I fell for any of them I remember being sent for...
  • A bucket of Prop wash
  • a can of striped paint
  • A vortex generator
What else have you all been sent for or, sent others for?

billdozier 78

I was an apprentice at school. Older guy running jobs told me to swing by the shop next morning and pick up the sky hook. Since I lived a block from the shop that's what I did. I'm sure they all had a good laugh. Working in decent sized basement of house. Could hear my guys above me so I sent my helper for the bucket of ohms. I think he asked every guy on the job for it.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If it is not contain electrical conductors now or in the future would the NEC still apply? It shown as EMT on the electrical drawings.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it is not contain electrical conductors now or in the future would the NEC still apply? It shown as EMT on the electrical drawings.

Probably not. We've installed 20' long, 8" EMT for future stage lighting cables in a Broadway theater. I believe the stuff was actually manufactured as a conduit for beverage lines.

This stuff:

http://www.bevway.com/

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech

You might want to ask for clarification. If 6" EMT is shown on electrical drawings it is probably a mistake and you should probably find out what they really want.

jeremysterling

Food service ... For the soda lines..... Def shown on the elec!!!

When I was purchasing for a chain seafood restaurant build-out, the journeyman job-runner called me needing material for the "beerlines".

I thought about "batter boards" and "chalk lines" and figured "beerlines" was some new construction lingo. I thought maybe he used a string or a laser to mark his "beerlines" to set his tracklights or whatever.

I did not see that one coming. It was actually kind of like what infinity linked to. "Beerlines" is beverage service from the back to the bar!:slaphead:

renosteinke

Soda lines ... now, that changes EVERYTHING!

First off, I don't know of any light steel tubing in that size. EMT, by definition, does not exist beyond 4". This is a classic case of when you send out an RFI.

I'd avoid running anyof the pipe for the soda lines if you can. It's going to be a mother of a pull, and you don't want to take the fall for that. Let the GC or the soda guys do it.

Typically, 6" PVC (white) pipe is used. Take great care to have no more than TWO sweep elbows in the run, and lube the heck out of it. I'd use a larger pipe if I could.

What IS important is that you understand the electrical needs of the customer. The soda fountain will probably need at least four receptacles in the system. These are:

1- under the counter, to serve the compressor;
1- just above the counter, to serve the dispenser;
1- Up near the ceiling, to serve the ice maker they'll mount over the fountain; and,
1- back where the syrup is stacked, to serve the pump.

Even if they say 'no ice machine,' they'll probably mount an electric sign, so a receptacle up high is a good thing.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I saw a banner at a local supply shop that read "Sky Hooks are on order"...
Its great when they get involved... :)

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Soda lines ... now, that changes EVERYTHING!

First off, I don't know of any light steel tubing in that size. EMT, by definition, does not exist beyond 4". This is a classic case of when you send out an RFI.

I'd avoid running anyof the pipe for the soda lines if you can. It's going to be a mother of a pull, and you don't want to take the fall for that. Let the GC or the soda guys do it.

Typically, 6" PVC (white) pipe is used. Take great care to have no more than TWO sweep elbows in the run, and lube the heck out of it. I'd use a larger pipe if I could.

What IS important is that you understand the electrical needs of the customer. The soda fountain will probably need at least four receptacles in the system. These are:

1- under the counter, to serve the compressor;
1- just above the counter, to serve the dispenser;
1- Up near the ceiling, to serve the ice maker they'll mount over the fountain; and,
1- back where the syrup is stacked, to serve the pump.

Even if they say 'no ice machine,' they'll probably mount an electric sign, so a receptacle up high is a good thing.
What do you mean a "mother of a pull"? The 6" contains the soda line which we would not pull.

renosteinke

You may not be the one to have to pull all those plastic soda lines through the PVC, but someone will.

Trust me, those pipes get stuffed with soda lines, and it's a very hard pull. Plastic just doesn't want to slide along plastic. You'll hear about it. So, given the opportunity, I'd either run a larger pipe, or a pair of pipes.

Or, of course, you could use some LB's in place of the sweeps .... then hang around to learn a few words you won't hear in church.

Status
Not open for further replies.