Status
Not open for further replies.

captainwireman

Is a telephone jack required inside a dwelling. 800.156 seems to suggest that it is required

Does the dwelling unit communications outlet in 800.156 mean a telephone outlet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think the code used to require that communication just be brought in by the utility but 800.156 clearly states within the home. So IMO one jack is required

captainwireman

Handbook is not considered an official interpretation.

True, the handbook does spell out what this means and I am confident, since this is not too technical of a question, the intent is that a dwelling unit communications outlet is a telephone jack/outlet. If anyone knows more, please reply.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
True, the handbook does spell out what this means and I am confident, since this is not too technical of a question, the intent is that a dwelling unit communications outlet is a telephone jack/outlet. If anyone knows more, please reply.

Also it could be a cable TV outlet as well.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As written this code section cannot be complied with if the home owner does not contract with a communications utility.
800.156 Dwelling Unit Communications Outlet.
For new construction, a minimum of one communications outlet sh all be installed within the dwelling in a readily accessible area and cabled to the service provider demarcation point.
The section very clearly requires cabling to the communications utility demarcation point. If there is no contract between the home owner and the communications utility, there is no demarcation point to run the cable to. If there is no demarcation point it is impossible to comply with the code section.

I don't see this rule as a rule that should even be in the NEC, but if it is to remain, it has to be re-written to be enforceable.

captainwireman

As written this code section cannot be complied with if the home owner does not contract with a communications utility.

The section very clearly requires cabling to the communications utility demarcation point. If there is no contract between the home owner and the communications utility, there is no demarcation point to run the cable to. If there is no demarcation point it is impossible to comply with the code section.

I don't see this rule as a rule that should even be in the NEC, but if it is to remain, it has to be re-written to be enforceable.

Very interesting. I see this going to more of a local code or spec requirement if the demarcation point is not there at the time of build. My home is remote, but I do have power and I needed to request a phone/internet line when I purchased the property. I would assume when this was built, the requirement for a phone jack would not apply?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have never done a new home and not seen telephone brought in from the road. Cable sometimes not since it is not everywhere but telephone is always brought to the house. BTW, the builders is responsible to ensure the utilities are brought to the home.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
800.152 did not appear in the NEC until the 2008 edition. Just at a time that many people have stopped having a POTS line in their home.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have never done a new home and not seen telephone brought in from the road. Cable sometimes not since it is not everywhere but telephone is always brought to the house. BTW, the builders is responsible to ensure the utilities are brought to the home.
Around here the telephone is not brought to the house unless the home owner requests telephone service. Many new houses around here do not have telephone or cable brought to the house. Why would a communications utility ever bring cables to the hose without a request from the home owner? The builder would have no legal right to request utilities be brought to the house unless directed to do so by the property owner.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Around here the telephone is not brought to the house unless the home owner requests telephone service. Many new houses around here do not have telephone or cable brought to the house. Why would a communications utility ever bring cables to the hose without a request from the home owner? The builder would have no legal right to request utilities be brought to the house unless directed to do so by the property owner.

The utility will bring the phone line to the home whether or not the home owner requests it simply because they want their service available when a new owner arrives or when the home owner changes their mind. They do not want to have to negotiate walkways , driveways, etc so....

I have never seen a home here that did not have communication or Cable TV (where available) brought to the home. Besides all that the NEC seems to be into design again as they want a phone jack available for emergency situations. Even if the phone line is not energized it will allow 911 calls. I don't know all the requirements here but the utility may be required to bring a line to the home.

ceb58

I have never had a problem complying with the rule. Stub out the cat5 next to the service equipment with the inter-bonding device on the GEC. So now I have completed my part, if an inspector wanted to be anal its now on the home owner to do their part and have the line brought to the home, pay me.

For what its worth I was told in a code change class, and it dose make sense, the reason behind this was the proliferation of cell phone use. In an emergency the 911 system can locate your address with a land line but there is the a chance they cannot with a cell phone. So as a cost cutting measure if you really didn't need a land line you can have a "children's" phone put in. No bells and whistles, no long distance just plain local calling for a low price. This will comply with code and give 911 a solid address in case of emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.