Another what would you do

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Did some misc wiring for a guy. Noticed new pool installation. Guy inquires about having a switch for the pump inside the house. I suggest timer.

Scope out the setup and find, 20A breaker feeding #14 nm through basement to j box. UF from J box to pool pump receptacle. Twistlock receptacle with no GFI protection. Convienience receptacle 4 feet from pool. #18 insulated solid attached to bonding lug run to pool etc.

I counted 10 violations and explained them to the guy.

I let him know that if he wanted the timer installed I'd only do it if I rewired the entire setup properly. His response was "well it's working fine so I probably won't worry about it".

Doubt I'll ever hear from them again.

480sparky

I won't push the issue and do a hard sell on the violations. I have them sign a form stating I have informed them of the known problems that exist.

Here's a price to install the timer, and here's a price to fix the problems. I can't force people to be smart.

Ohmy

I let him know that if he wanted the timer installed I'd only do it if I rewired the entire setup properly. His response was "well it's working fine so I probably won't worry about it".

I agree with you. Your a professional electrician who does professional work on professional installations. There is always another job, even in this economy.

resistance

I won't push the issue and do a hard sell on the violations. I have them sign a form stating I have informed them of the known problems that exist.

Here's a price to install the timer, and here's a price to fix the problems. I can't force people to be smart.
This is certainly what I would do!

Riograndeelectric

OK so how can legally work on this circuit with out having it to code..
IMO I think it would be a volition to work on the circuit and not bring it to code and make it safe. how can you have some one sign a letter stating that they are aware for the violations and the safety hazards associated with the violations and not be held accountable.
I would have walked away form the job as I do on many jobs when I see that there are violations on the circuit I am working on.

electricmanscott

IMO I think it would be a volition to work on the circuit and not bring it to code and make it safe. how can you have some one sign a letter stating that they are aware for the violations and the safety hazards associated with the violations and not be held accountable.
I would have walked away form the job as I do on many jobs when I see that there are violations on the circuit I am working on.

In Mass I can work on something without bringing the rest of whatever it happens to be that I'm working on up to code. That is provided I do not increase the magnitude of the violation.

In this particular case it's all or nothing for me.

iwire

Staff member
What would I do?

It should be obvious, first cut the service at the pole, then pull the service conductors out all the way to the panel.

Cut off all branch circuits and remove the panel.

Now call a demolition company and have the home and pool removed, have landscapers come in and make it look like there was never a home or pool there.

Now the owners will probably not be happy, it's OK, it is your duty to kill them for their own good.

To do any less would be criminal. ;)

iwire

Staff member
IMO I think it would be a volition to work on the circuit and not bring it to code and make it safe.

Scott s in MA and it is spelled out fairly clearly. :smile:

Rule3-4.jpg

ceb58

Scott s in MA and it is spelled out fairly clearly. :smile:

Rule3-4.jpg

Bob, let me ask this. In rule 4 it says " the owner shall be notified in writing by the authority enforcing this code". Who would be the authority? In this situation would Scott be the authority? Or would an inspector have to be called in to verify the violations to make the process official?
I wish NC had wording like this. Your rules dont leave much gray area.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
At least not until they show up on the 11:00 news. :roll:

I have them sign a form stating I have informed them of the known problems that exist.

I can't force people to be smart.
Can you force them to sign the violations form? As a customer, I'd be quite hesitant to sign a form claiming I know about the violations.

However, these are really issues he has with the first electrician (if he was one.)

What would I do?

It should be obvious, first cut the service at the pole, then pull the service conductors out all the way to the panel.

Cut off all branch circuits and remove the panel.

Now call a demolition company and have the home and pool removed, have landscapers come in and make it look like there was never a home or pool there.

Now the owners will probably not be happy, it's OK, it is your duty to kill them for their own good.

To do any less would be criminal. ;)
"Is this that new thing called sarcasm?" ~ Shallow Hal

480sparky

...........Can you force them to sign the violations form? As a customer, I'd be quite hesitant to sign a form claiming I know about the violations.........

Absolutely not. If they ask why I'm using such a form, I simply reply that I need to fill it out so when their house burns down, I have some sort of legal defence when the sue me. But simply asking them makes the point.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Even though I am in agreement with a "FORM" I bet it would hold little value if someone were killed because of blatantly dangerous situation that a professional failed to correct. I am not advocating this I am just making a poin that I think lawyers and legal course is so crazy sometimes that even innocent peopl get burned. I could hear it now.....

"Well the professional should have know how dangerous this was and therfor shoudl not have been satasified with just a form"

I dont have a better method I am just saying I dont think a form is wacko lawyer proof. I guess thats why we have insurance.... to make lawyers rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.