Article 400.8 and UPS wiring methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent video Mike --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da5SMuqQJ_8

However, that said, I have discovered a situation to which I interpret as a violation of 400.8, but to which I cannot find a reasonable alternative wiring method. I work at an industrial facility and we have centralized din-rail mounted UPS systems that come from the manufacturer with 15A receptacles to power external devices off of UPS power. Our plant has standardized on SJTOW cable for use with this application. The female end of the cord is cut and the wires are landed on terminals. Some of the remote panels require the flexible cable to be routed under the floor in existing raceway (cable tray, wireway, etc.) before terminating at a terminal strip in the remote panel for UPS supplied power. I spoke with several Electrical Engineer colleagues on the subject and I have engaged the UPS manufacturer and the manufacturer's representative on the issue as well, and everyone is in agreement that the above mentioned wiring method is the accepted wiring practice. However, according to your words in the video (link above), and according to the list of exclusions in 400.8, this wiring method appears to be a direct violation.

Is there an applicable exclusion to this that would allow this wiring method to be considered acceptable? If not, what would be the recommend practice of providing UPS power from a central din-rail mounted UPS systems with remotely powered devices/panels?

A chapter 3 wiring method, which means the UPS will need to have terminals to land the load side wiring on

I just walked through and looked at four different units near me. All four have receptacles, not terminal strips. Three of the units are Liebert, all different models, and the fourth is an APC. So we have four different models from two different manufacturers and all four have receptacles.

My original question still stands...what is the accepted wiring practice for these units?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I just walked through and looked at four different units near me. All four have receptacles, not terminal strips. Three of the units are Liebert, all different models, and the fourth is an APC. So we have four different models from two different manufacturers and all four have receptacles.

My original question still stands...what is the accepted wiring practice for these units?
Those units are not acceptable for that application...they are only suitable for use with cord and plug connected equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.