Attn: Those new to the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
ultramegabob said:
how do you manage the fishtape outside of the case? doesnt it go "SPROOOOING!!!" like you just cracked open a clock?

When first released yes, big time.

But when we roll them up we make the roll 18" to 48" across.

Here is my 200' x 1/4" I keep in the truck.

Snake.jpg

ultramegabob

I can see how that would be quicker to deal with if you were doing alot of parking lot light conduit pulls, I may have to steal your idea some day...

iwire

Staff member
ultramegabob said:
I can see how that would be quicker to deal with if you were doing alot of parking lot light conduit pulls, .

Exactly, when your working with long pulls and lots of space I find an open snake better, you can send the snake all the way through so you can send the snake in from either direction.

But when I am inside a finished occupied space I do use the snake in the case. A bit easer to keep a handle on it.:smile:

FWIW its not my idea, it is common in my area. :smile:

By the way, if anyone does decide to do this, be warned, opening a 200' snake for the first time can be painful and time consuming if your not careful.

The way I do it is to place the new snake on the floor, then I put the leg of a step ladder through the center. Have someone stand on the first step of the ladder to hold it down. Now have someone carefully cut the bands off of the snake. It will spring around but it will not get tangled because of the ladder leg.

Once it stops moving on its own kick it a bit and it will expand it self to a reasonable size then you can unroll it by hand.

76nemo

Steel tapes can be disposable, you **** up my glass tape, and we are going to have issues.

Now I am going to have issues about pulling in with hots, let the beatings begin:roll: :D

ultramegabob

76nemo said:
Steel tapes can be disposable, you **** up my glass tape, and we are going to have issues.

Now I am going to have issues about pulling in with hots, let the beatings begin:roll: :D

I was trained that fiberglass fishtapes only pull in string, never wire....

iwire

Staff member
ultramegabob said:
I was trained that fiberglass fishtapes only pull in string, never wire....

I have never heard that and have spent the last week adding circuits to walker ducts using my fiberglass tape. :smile:

ultramegabob

iwire said:
I have never heard that and have spent the last week adding circuits to walker ducts using my fiberglass tape. :smile:

there again, "you" using "your" fishtape you will probley never have a problem because you care about your tool, but let some other yahoo use your fiberglass fishtape to pull in wire, they will probley wind up pulling the head off of it somehow.

76nemo

ultramegabob said:
there again, "you" using "your" fishtape you will probley never have a problem because you care about your tool, but let some other yahoo use your fiberglass fishtape to pull in wire, they will probley wind up pulling the head off of it somehow.

There again, we'll have issues:grin:

iwire

Staff member
ultramegabob said:

Well there is some truth to that, when I use the glass tape to pull it is for easy pulls.

I do have one in the garage with a missing head. :mad:

76nemo

Done in a jiff........

Done in a jiff........

I have seen this done once in a bind when we ran out of lube. Once, we ran out of lube and used a hand sanitizer, high alcohol content, to pull in. It worked great, still in good service. Anyone's opinions on this? THHN.

76nemo

iwire said:
I am pleading the fifth on the use of non-approved wire lube. :D

I FULLY agree. My CLEARGLIDE has the hint of alcohol, not nearly as much as the sanitizer. I knew I was going to catch slack on that, just wondering what other peoples opinions were. Hence, why I love this forum. It dried super quick, served the purpose, and we cleaned the sh*t out it upon termination.

Thanks for being easy on me:)

I think we had a poll before on pulling lube. I like the Ideal CLEARGLIDE. What do you all like?

ultramegabob

I used to use polywater alot, I dont care for the yellow stuff, it makes a horrible mess on your clothes and I think it hardens inside the conduit eventually, lately I have been using the clear stuff made by Ideal, it works pretty good...

Status
Not open for further replies.