cable in conduit cable end seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wire-Smith

30 Minutes ago, one of our E/I inspectors walked into the engineering trailer here on site and asked me 'what's the best way to seal a twisted pair #16, shielded cable within a conduit terminating at an instrument in CID1 area'...not kidding.

I told him I'd get back with him... as you might imagine, putting together quite an email based on the above string.

how have they done it there in the past?

Wire-Smith

in case anyone was interested, i found where crouse hinds says to use TSC for end sealing cables not in cable glands

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...fs/other-pdfs/crouse-hinds-codedigest2014.pdf

"G. Cable Sealing.In Class I, Division 1 locations the use of cable, except types MI,MC-HL and ITC-HL, is limited to installation in conduit.Multiconductor cables that cannot transmit gases through the cores aresealed as single conductors; this type of cable, however, is not readilyavailable. If a cable can transmit gases through its core, the outer jacketmust be removed so that the sealing compound surrounds eachindividual insulated conductor and the jacket, or it can be sealed as asingle conductor if the cable end in the enclosure is sealed by anapproved means. Crouse-Hinds TSC epoxy is such a means."

i am going to try out the self adhesive lined heat shrink though.

Status
Not open for further replies.