Conduit attached with beam clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The real interesting question is did you point out this curious strap to your wife, and was she suitably impressed?

That only happens for newlyweds. The rolled :roll: and:sleep: response is what I get anymore.

Sorry Horsegower, looks like you hit a pretty tough group last night. It might help if you explain why you thought beam clamps were wrong.

mike7330

they never get it right. i just plasma cut the web of the beam and sleeve it thru....if it's a concrete beam,
i use a shop vac to catch the dust from the plasma cutter.... that compressed air blows it everywhere.

You have a plasma cutter? Great! Can I borrow it? Is it faster then a core drill? ;)

jumper

That only happens for newlyweds. The rolled :roll: and:sleep: response is what I get anymore.

10-4 on that :thumbsup:, and throw in a poke in the ribs if I mention it twice.:D

Sorry Horsegower, looks like you hit a pretty tough group last night. It might help if you explain why you thought beam clamps were wrong.

HG is pretty thick skinned-he can handle it-no one was mean or nasty and the question was answered.

Heck, look how I screwed up and confused parking decks with roof decks.:slaphead:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Hell no, each beam must be drilled, tapped and gusseted for each pipe hanger.

Ok I understand now about not supporting the conduit with just a beam clmap but I have another question. When you attached a beam clamp to a beam you don't tighten down the bolt to the beam? The bolt always penetrates the beam? Thanks.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The real interesting question is did you point out this curious strap to your wife, and was she suitably impressed?

Funny.... she always talks crap to me becuase I look up a lot when I'm in stores etc. trying to check out installtions.

I said something and she is like " oh so now your an electrician"...... it's always some comment like that....love her :lol:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ok I understand now about not supporting the conduit with just a beam clmap but I have another question. When you attached a beam clamp to a beam you don't tighten down the bolt to the beam? The bolt always penetrates the beam? Thanks.

The truth is that a beam clamp is perfectly compliant. Forget about the other posts.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks, so you undertood what I was saying. The beam clamp is attached the the beam an also supporting the conduit.......basically clamping it to the underside of the beam...
Yes, that is what they are designed to do. The beam clamp attaches to the steel- we do not want to drill the steel- and the conduit hangs from it. There are a few ways of doing this. Caddy makes many different styles of clamps.

Here is one

2KWY2_AS01.JPG

Here is another

729619_300.jpg

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
I think that what HG is questioning here isn't whether or not it's okay to support conduit with beam clamps; I think he's describing a situation where both the beam and conduit are clamped together with a beam clamp only and without any other ancillary hardware whatsoever -- e.g. pipe hangers, rod, etc. Just a beam clamp wrapped around them both.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Yes, that is what they are designed to do. The beam clamp attaches to the steel- we do not want to drill the steel- and the conduit hangs from it. There are a few ways of doing this. Caddy makes many different styles of clamps.

Here is one

2KWY2_AS01.JPG

Here is another

729619_300.jpg

Ok I see ...but there was no hanger on the beam clamp like you show... The conduit was like on top of where the teeth are on the pictured beam clamp... It was JUST the clamp

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I think that what HG is questioning here isn't whether or not it's okay to support conduit with beam clamps; I think he's describing a situation where both the beam and conduit are clamped together with a beam clamp only and without any other ancillary hardware whatsoever -- e.g. pipe hangers, rod, etc. Just a beam clamp wrapped around them both.

Exactly!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.