Cord cap and habitable room...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToolHound

Cord cap - If 'cord cap' is an accepted term, is it correct to say that a 'cord cap' (attachment cap?) is the female end of an extension cord ?
( is there any other definition of 'cord cap' ).

= = = =

Habitable room - For NEC purposes, what is the definition of a habitable room? Is a room with a chair in it a habitable room ? If no chair, not a habitable room ?

(if a kitchen is a habitable room and if a bathroom is not a habitable room, then what makes a kitchen a habitable room and what makes a bathroom not a habitable room ? )

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Cord cap - If 'cord cap' is an accepted term, is it correct to say that a 'cord cap' (attachment cap?) is the female end of an extension cord ?
( is there any other definition of 'cord cap' ).

To me, an "extension cord" would have a plug and a cord cap.
A cord cap would be a type of receptacle often used on the end of a cord...not necessarily an extension cord.

= = = =
Habitable room - For NEC purposes, what is the definition of a habitable room? Is a room with a chair in it a habitable room ? If no chair, not a habitable room ?

(if a kitchen is a habitable room and if a bathroom is not a habitable room, then what makes a kitchen a habitable room and what makes a bathroom not a habitable room ? )

I think NEC somewhat follows the IRC. " A Habitable space is a space in a building used for living, sleeping, eating or cooking"
IRC also notes "Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets,halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable rooms"

ToolHound

To me, an "extension cord" would have a plug and a cord cap.
A cord cap would be a type of receptacle often used on the end of a cord...not necessarily an extension cord.

= = = =

I think NEC somewhat follows the IRC. " A Habitable space is a space in a building used for living, sleeping, eating or cooking"
IRC also notes "Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets,halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable rooms"

Augie47. Thanks. That helps. Since NEC seems to leave these 2 terms undefined I had to ask. --ToolHound

By the way...I am wondering...where if anywhere else, besides on the end of an extension cord, would one find a 'cord cap' used ?

Last edited:

ToolHound

BTW...FWIW...

The term 'caps', in relation to cords, is used in Article 406.

The term 'habitable' is used in at least one place in 210.70(A)(1).

Status
Not open for further replies.