Definition of Device - 2008 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

well until we have a definition of unit then it wire could fall under the definition of device.If you define device as something added to the wiring system then no wire is not a device.

cadpoint

well until we have a definition of unit then it wire could fall under the definition of device. If you define device as something added to the wiring system then no wire is not a device.

It has been mentioned here that Merriam-Webster is the default dictionary.
NEC-70 also states in 90.9 Units of Measurement which is a nice overview.

If you want to argue about the premise and the standing of 90 that would be another thread.

There are many words used in the NEC-70, that are not defined and the best I can tell they never will due to their own "style format".

I think a "unit" in respects to a conductor is well presented and understandable, and used as some applicable quantity of some measurable amount. e.g. How could a conduitor not be a unit of measure in respects to box fill?

I don't agree with your line of thought, "Come on Man" :D ...

resistance

Per the NEC it is a device--as Don has said.
I think I agree with the NEC---seeing that I define a device as something being utilized. (A tool).

LJSMITH1

Is a screw a device?

Is a locknut a device?

What about a label?

In that context, yes, a wire is also a device. - a current carrying device.:D

I am not trying to be a wise guy, this is a legitimate question.

It would seem to me that a conductor fits the new definition in the '08 NEC.

Like Don, I do not believe the definition should be written where it is understood that a conductor is a device.

I am reaching here, but I think that electrically a device is more like a switch, receptacle, circuit breaker, etc...

LJSMITH1

Screws and locknuts are "fittings" not devices, per Article 100.

Hmm..You are right, a "Locknut" (as in conduit or fitting type) maybe considered a fitting..bad choice for a word. I was thinking more like a nylock hardware fastener nut. How about just a nail?

A run of the mill screw (hardware fastener) is most certainly a device and not a fitting.:cool: A device does not necessarily have to have moving or multiple parts - it just has to have a purpose and a function.

From American Heritage:
De-vice
A contrivance or an invention serving a particular purpose, especially a machine used to perform one or more relatively simple tasks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hmm..You are right, a "Locknut" (as in conduit or fitting type) maybe considered a fitting..bad choice for a word. I was thinking more like a nylock hardware fastener nut. How about just a nail?

A run of the mill screw (hardware fastener) is most certainly a device and not a fitting.:cool: A device does not necessarily have to have moving or multiple parts - it just has to have a purpose and a function.

From American Heritage:
De-vice
A contrivance or an invention serving a particular purpose, especially a machine used to perform one or more relatively simple tasks.
Larry,
First you can't use a dictionary definition for any term that is defined in the code. Device is a code defined word and for the application of the NEC that is the definition that must be used.
As far as a screw being a "fitting", you do have to stretch the code definition to say that a screw is a fitting, however there is no way that a screw or bolt is a device under the NEC, except for the ones that hold lugs on or connect bus bars, and even there I am not sure that the screw or bolt meets the code definition of a device.
Device. A unit of an electrical system that carries or controls electric energy as its principal function.
Fitting. An accessory such as a locknut, bushing, or other part of a wiring system that is intended primarily to perform a mechanical rather than an electrical function.

Last edited:

LJSMITH1

Geez...just when you thought it was silly enough that we were discussing instructions, and now here we are discussing what a device means..:):roll:

Device - Equipment...my head hurts...;)

joebell

2 volume set

2 volume set

I propose to make the NEC a 2 volume set. Volume 1 would contain article 100 and volume 2 would contain the rest of the NEc articles ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.