Eliminating CFL bulbs, possibly even incandescent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The filament tower LED lamps are filled with helium gas which is many times more thermally conductive than air. The heat is effectively spread over the entire bulb. Plastic envelope wouldn't hold the helium charge, so those have to use a traditional design that depends on rear cooled heat sink.

These filament tower lamps use solid state fluorescent lamps made with blue LED stacks inside a phosphor tube. It would quickly burn out in ordinary air.

Not saying you are wrong, but I've seen Big Clive do them without any inert filling, unless of course you have something else in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkL72XVtKew

rian0201

there is still a lot of use for incandescent in my place, locals use it in poultry..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
there is still a lot of use for incandescent in my place, locals use it in poultry..

Just make sure snakes don't get in the coup :p:

997796207d856b19ea7f6700ccbaaa6e.jpg

rian0201

Just make sure snakes don't get in the coup :p:

997796207d856b19ea7f6700ccbaaa6e.jpg

haha.. one time the snake got up in the ground wire on the 69kv line in the place where i live in.. the snake was 6 feet in length.. others commented that due to heavy traffic, even the snake went up to bypass the heavy traffic..

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
haha.. one time the snake got up in the ground wire on the 69kv line in the place where i live in.. the snake was 6 feet in length.. others commented that due to heavy traffic, even the snake went up to bypass the heavy traffic..

LOL! :lol: :lol: You live in a fun place :)

Electric-Light

Not sure about the "Ok?", but I guess that would make sense then. Less power, less heat.

When in helium, what would those strips normally be driven at?

You already answered your own question. If you were to let the helium out by snapping off the vent tube, I would expect it turns color beyond use or burn out in hours to weeks instead of lasting many years.

E27-Led-Filament-Bulb-Edison-Bulb-110V-220V-2W-4W-6W-8W-Lampada-Led-Lamp-Light.jpg

Led seems to be in it's infancy, still improving, slowly but surely. The led halo lights in our new house (built in October) have already gone from 3000k and turned to around 2500k. The color rendering is still decent, but not like how it was new.
Led lamps have arsenic, among other things, which is obtained from destructive strip mining. The lamps are usually trashed instead of recycled, and as a result, the material can't be recovered and will be leached into the environment over time. Fluorescent lamps, though land filled, are pretty widely recycled. Glass, mercury, and some metals from the ends are recovered and re processed to be used in new lamps. New fluorescent lamps and fixtures are being installed every day. Fluorescent and Incan will stick around for awhile, even with the advance of ledisease.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Led seems to be in it's infancy, still improving, slowly but surely. The led halo lights in our new house (built in October) have already gone from 3000k and turned to around 2500k. The color rendering is still decent, but not like how it was new.
Led lamps have arsenic, among other things, which is obtained from destructive strip mining. The lamps are usually trashed instead of recycled, and as a result, the material can't be recovered and will be leached into the environment over time. Fluorescent lamps, though land filled, are pretty widely recycled. Glass, mercury, and some metals from the ends are recovered and re processed to be used in new lamps. New fluorescent lamps and fixtures are being installed every day. Fluorescent and Incan will stick around for awhile, even with the advance of ledisease.

Fill me in on the arsenic. :huh:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Fill me in on the arsenic. :huh:

Blue LED's, including those rich in UV, are based on a gallium arsenide chemistry. To make "white" LED's, you excite a phosphor coating on the inside of the envelope. There is no true white LED because all LED's are about pumping photons out of a junction based on a particular band gap for the materials involved. So you can get red, orange, yellow, green, and blue LED's which are all a distribution of wavelengths about some center value, but no material as been developed yet with a band gap wide enough and flat enough to give white light directly. The holdup in LED general lighting was getting blue/near UV which couldn't get done with the usual silicon based chemistries. The fellow who did it was Japanese but his name escapes me.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Blue LED's, including those rich in UV, are based on a gallium arsenide chemistry. To make "white" LED's, you excite a phosphor coating on the inside of the envelope. There is no true white LED because all LED's are about pumping photons out of a junction based on a particular band gap for the materials involved. So you can get red, orange, yellow, green, and blue LED's which are all a distribution of wavelengths about some center value, but no material as been developed yet with a band gap wide enough and flat enough to give white light directly. The holdup in LED general lighting was getting blue/near UV which couldn't get done with the usual silicon based chemistries. The fellow who did it was Japanese but his name escapes me.

So I must ask, those home center led filament lamps, are they arsenic?

ken44

We just recently had about 200 each of the 175 watt metal halide fixtures changed out to LED's in one of our parking garages and got an email from the energy company warning us about a potential incorrect billing! The bill was over $1700 with the metal halide's and dropped to just over $800 with the LED's.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
We just recently had about 200 each of the 175 watt metal halide fixtures changed out to LED's in one of our parking garages and got an email from the energy company warning us about a potential incorrect billing! The bill was over $1700 with the metal halide's and dropped to just over $800 with the LED's.

Be happy its was not an assumption of power theft :thumbsup:

JFletcher

Philips ALTO lamps can be landfilled in municipal dumps in all 50 states.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
By "same" I meant I have the same question about corn lights. I find it hard to believe arsenic plays a part.

Oh- that would be my mistake then :ashamed1: I am in the same camp, I don't see arsenic in newer LED lamps, but must admit that is poorly backed.

retirede

Oh- that would be my mistake then :ashamed1: I am in the same camp, I don't see arsenic in newer LED lamps, but must admit that is poorly backed.

I just checked a couple lamps I have. All are marked RoHS compliant. I am no RoHS expert, but I don't think a lamp with more than a minuscule amount of arsenic would comply.

Status
Not open for further replies.