First new house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl H

I've got one inspector who is so hung up on box fill that I write the # of conductors / #allowed... next to each box, just to save time. He stopped checking them.

I must of ran into the same inspector. He would walk in and say,"Looks like
a lot of wires in those 4sq (1900) boxes, did you account for box fill?"
"Yep." So the next job in his area I wrote the box fill on the covers of every
box and number allowed. He looks at the boxes, laughs and signed my card
and never questioned me again. A very good and thorough inspector BTW.
:smile:

electricalperson

dont forget to afci protect the circuits required and tamper resistant receptacles. :grin: you can read the code and figure out what you need for circuits, service size, receptacle locations etc but it might be less trouble to hire a guy that wires houses to do it to save aggrivation. thats quite the list you have there it might be over your head if you never wired a house before.

wiring houses is not that hard just tons of code to learn.

growler

A two man resi crew would have been done with it by now.:roll:

If you are talking about a spec. house that's probably right but not a custom home and when working directly for a homeowner it's very likely to turn into a custom home no matter what they say.

Think about it, if this house was being built by a GC or builder he wouldn't think of useing an electrician that had never done a house before it would either be low bid gets it or use his usual electrical contractor. The only way you could possibly afford to use a company that doesn't do houses is to be building custom and have more money than brains. A custom home may go at a slow enough pace to allow him to complete on schedule and learn something different.

Despite what people think all houses are not roughed-in in two days or even two weeks. I worked on a lake front home a couple of years ago where the builder had a production crew wire it, fast and cheap, but the owner was not a happy camper. After I finished the basement the owner tells me that's the way he wished the house was wired because I spent the time figuring out what the owner wants. When people spend the big money on a house you can spend a little time and figure out what it will take to make them happy. They expect it and they pay for it.

By the way the homeowner had his son-in-law build the house and the guy charged first rate prices for second rate work. You can't trust a builder even if he's married to your daughter. :grin:

If they want a fast and cheap job they had better put the job out for bids and see what prices are quoted.

Karl H

If you are talking about a spec. house that's probably right but not a custom home and when working directly for a homeowner it's very likely to turn into a custom home no matter what they say.

Think about it, if this house was being built by a GC or builder he wouldn't think of useing an electrician that had never done a house before it would either be low bid gets it or use his usual electrical contractor. The only way you could possibly afford to use a company that doesn't do houses is to be building custom and have more money than brains. A custom home may go at a slow enough pace to allow him to complete on schedule and learn something different.

Despite what people think all houses are not roughed-in in two days or even two weeks. I worked on a lake front home a couple of years ago where the builder had a production crew wire it, fast and cheap, but the owner was not a happy camper. After I finished the basement the owner tells me that's the way he wished the house was wired because I spent the time figuring out what the owner wants. When people spend the big money on a house you can spend a little time and figure out what it will take to make them happy. They expect it and they pay for it.

By the way the homeowner had his son-in-law build the house and the guy charged first rate prices for second rate work. You can't trust a builder even if he's married to your daughter. :grin:

If they want a fast and cheap job they had better put the job out for bids and see what prices are quoted.

I couldn't agree with you more, and I don't even do houses.:wink:

360Youth

You mean like this?

K90-12-2_ICON.JPG

You say you go to HD a lot for emergency trips...they stock them there. :cool:

I bought a pair and never liked them much. They seem to be good if you have low to normal amount of circuits, but if the cables get crowded, they are not any faster than a good knife. Maybe I just need to give them another try.

peter d

I bought a pair and never liked them much. They seem to be good if you have low to normal amount of circuits, but if the cables get crowded, they are not any faster than a good knife. Maybe I just need to give them another try.

I use the razor knife myself most of the time anyway. I was thinking of getting the 90 degree NM strippers though. :cool:

Ohmy

2 things 1. Dont forget floor receps and the most important thing, only one wire per hole :grin:

No, no the floor outlet is where you make your junction...one wire to all the outlets in the room.

I tell you what really kills me...is when comm guys share neutrals on single phase houses....I was on a call once at a beautiful house but they electricians had ran 14/3 for all there branch circuits. They were wondering why their arch faults wouldn't hold and why the white wire was soo damm hot.

active1

I tell you what really kills me...is when comm guys share neutrals on single phase houses....I was on a call once at a beautiful house but they electricians had ran 14/3 for all there branch circuits. They were wondering why their arch faults wouldn't hold and why the white wire was soo damm hot.

I love to share the noodle. While it wont work with SP ark faults and GFI's. Nothing wrong with it if done correctly. Like everything elce there is always a way to screw it up.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There's nothing wrong with MWBC's if they're wired correctly. It's true that 1p AFCI and GFCI breakers won't work.

But, an overheated neutral comes from feeding both hots from the same phase.

danickstr

I would still avoid the MWBC just in case you need to pick it up for a bedroom, etc.

Ask them if they want 7.1 sound system put into the ceiling. Everyone does, eventually. Even in the bedrooms, often. don't forget that you need one 20 amp circuit just for bathroom plugs, oops, I mean receptacles.

ohm

There's nothing wrong with MWBC's if they're wired correctly. It's true that 1p AFCI and GFCI breakers won't work.

I totally agree Larry. And, if the few MWBC branch circuits which are still allowed in a home, under 2008 Code, are fed with a 2p breaker (per Code) savings in labor, materials and utility costs will be realized.

Ohmy

I totally agree Larry. And, if the few MWBC branch circuits which are still allowed in a home, under 2008 Code, are fed with a 2p breaker (per Code) savings in labor, materials and utility costs will be realized.

Sure there are lots of ways to save money....:grin:

Ohmy

.....and when the back stab neutral comes loose you get 240V across the lines. Sweeeet.

Status
Not open for further replies.