Gas Furnace Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

So I was wiring a Gas furnace the other day and stumbled across the fact they the manufacture does not include a grounding conductor for all its terminal strips... what the hell is up with that?
You can see a grounding conductor on the supply terminal strip, but it does not extend to the DHW pump terminal strip, or any other device for that matter... so now i have an ungrounded circulator pump.
photo-18.jpg

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
So I was wiring a Gas furnace the other day and stumbled across the fact they the manufacture does not include a grounding conductor for all its terminal strips... what the hell is up with that?
You can see a grounding conductor on the supply terminal strip, but it does not extend to the DHW pump terminal strip, or any other device for that matter... so now i have an ungrounded circulator pump.
photo-18.jpg

Did you actually check for continuity from the "G" term to the chassis? It looks like in the photo that it is be bonded with a rivet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Okay, just a quick thought, if the rivet is in fact being the continuity factor, then why did they run a grounding wire out of the supply terminal?

My guess is the load side EGC is spliced inside to all the other pieces of equipment. The board must be a generic board that has many uses.

stickboy1375

I do not think that the rivet does anything but 'hold' the board. The green wire opposite the incoming EGC probably does the bonding.

The green EGC on the load side of the terminal strip attaches to the frame of the boiler.... the question is if that bond is carried through to the external auxiliary equipment, if the rivet does not complete this path, then my DHW circulator is not bonded to the EGC.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
The green EGC on the load side of the terminal strip attaches to the frame of the boiler.... the question is if that bond is carried through to the external auxiliary equipment, if the rivet does not complete this path, then my DHW circulator is not bonded to the EGC.

Thanxs. Couldn't deleted my post. Think i understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.