Gas Meter vault

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We have an unusual situation, where we have to pass a conduit through a natural gas meter vault. The The only thing contained in the vault is the meter, no overpressure devices or the like. The vault is under a sidewalk with a metal grate covering it. Since during normal operation there is no release of gases It should not have to be a hazardous location. The inspector is also unsure of this also. Installing seal offs on this conduit would be very hard due to space limitations where it exits the vault to the building. Anybody had this problem before?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Are the dimmensions such that you could bring an unbroken section of conduit thru the vault ? Then it would be a non-issue, I believe.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with augie, would also suggest you make sure you are not in violation of any gas codes that may apply.

Many of us complain about other trades creating violations for us with their work, lets not do it to them.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Since during normal operation there is no release of gases It should not have to be a hazardous location.

Hazardous locations also include the possibility of a non-normal operation. I would assume your location is classified.

Why can't you just go around the vault? Or is the conduit feeding something in the vault??

hillbilly1

Occupation
Are the dimmensions such that you could bring an unbroken section of conduit thru the vault ? Then it would be a non-issue, I believe.

Thought of that, but the vault is 17' long. I am not at that job, just going by what the project manager is telling me. It does not feed anything in the vault, it just passes thru. I think the meter feeds the city's auditorium complex, and we have to get this conduit out to the parking deck from what I am gathering.

lakee911

You'll probably want to check NFPA 54: National Fuel Gas Code. I did, however, do some quick searches for basement and vault and didn't find anything useful.

I'm thinking that it would be considered Class I, Div 2 since it would only be exposed to under abnormal conditions.

Jason

kwired

Electron manager
Would a gas line be allowed to be run through a transformer vault? There has to be a reason for the vaults existance. Make sure you are not violating other codes besides electrical codes.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
UL permits listed RMC in any trade size, in any length, with or without couplings, with or without threads. Having said that, you will have a very tough time getting anything less than 2" trade size for youe application, but I suppose it's possible.

hillbilly1

Occupation
UL permits listed RMC in any trade size, in any length, with or without couplings, with or without threads. Having said that, you will have a very tough time getting anything less than 2" trade size for youe application, but I suppose it's possible.

I kinda figured that, but then it would be possible to sleeve the 1 1/4" in shorter lengths inside the 2". Thanks for making me think of that!:)

Hazardous locations also include the possibility of a non-normal operation. I would assume your location is classified.

Why can't you just go around the vault? Or is the conduit feeding something in the vault??

Correct. Unless the mechanical installation consist of welded pipe and no source of potential leakage it could be unclassified. Otherwise it is Class I, Division 2. If it is below grade, then it should be Division 1. I would demand that an engineer, who is familiar with EAC, is to evaluate the Classification and document it. You electrical installation then can proceed according to whatever the engineer had concluded.

kwired

Electron manager

So in a dwelling with any gas appliances, because the gas pipe or appliance could leak gas into the dwelling, which would be non-normal operation, we should install appropriate hazardous location wiring methods? Leaks probably occur more often in buildings where things are subject to physical damage than in a vault where no one hardly ever disturbs anything not even dust bunnies.

Status
Not open for further replies.