GC Buying Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerj

If this isn't a buddy job, I would not provide him with any help on figuring out what he needs.

I would require a daily sign-in sheet, signed at sign-in and sign-out by both of us, and in triplicate copy; one for you, one for him, and one for the lawyer.

revolt

Send him out looking for some 1/2 shanked tapered knurl nuts in titanium. Not galvanized,make sure titanium. They'll try to rip you off.

satcom

If a GC tells you, he is buying the material, chances are pretty good he in not a GC but a fly by night handyman with no real business or funds, they usually have illusions of being a general contractor, we have a number of them running around, driving a fork truck by day, and are construction experts by night, and on weekends, they do manage to find work from people looking for cheap, and that is how they operate, and their customers get just what they paid for, cheap job and poor workmanship, if they are lucky, he completes the job, before he gets hurt, or runs out of money.

electricmanscott

Hi Scott,

I'm doing the same thing. Just making wages this year, waiting for things to get better. I think I'm seeing improvement. Time for the rate to head back up.

Same here. I've lost a few because my price was "significantly higher" than the others. In fact just Monday I was called a "Thief"". Fine with me. There is other stuff to do so I can deal with not getting jobs. Let's hope it continues.

hurk27

In Indiana by law we are required to warranty our job, material included, we cover this by material markups, to not have this option you could be setting yourselves up when something goes bad down the road, as your state might also have a law like this.

I did one time allow a friend to supply the material on an apartment job, about 5 months after the job was done, they had a light that would not work right, so she called me and told me I need to take care of it because it is under warranty, I told her I didn't supply it, Oh she said she will get what I need but labor should be under warranty, I said oh really, well then her attorney called me and stated to me I was committed under the law to warranty the job no matter who supplied the material, checked with my lawyer and he agreed it wasn't right but it was in the law, so I did replace a bad switch but it was the last time I ever allowed the contractor/homeowner supply the materials.

Case law now says we have to warranty our work and only the material we supply, so now I have a disclaimer in my contracts, that says I don't warranty any material I don't supply, and labor is not included.

But I have still changed out a few ceiling fans just to make the costumer smile.:grin:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
How badly do you need the work? If you're hungry you may have no choice. If you can afford to turn it down, tell him to have a good life and move on. He will likely overlook something, get some brand you hate, get wrong wire type, etc. Give him a list, he will misinterpret half of it, call you from supply houses for clarification, etc. The same GC I complained about on other posts about burying boxes, etc. got to where he always wanted to buy the can lights. We went along with that because we needed the work. Couldn't turn anyone down right then.

I have sometimes let a customer purchase materials by faxing a list to supply house. Customer picks up and pays bill. I don't really like it, but it has gotten me a job or 2 I badly needed. At least with me turning in order, I still had materials I wanted, not dime store junk.

480sparky

One of the biggest problems with using someone else's material is that some of it doesn't conform to your way of installing things. You may get nice deep boxes so you don't have to worry about box fill, but you end up getting shallow boxes so you have to run your wiring in a completely different manner.

Or you use recessed cans that come with the spreader bars and j-box, but you are supplied with cans that don't have them.

zappy

In Indiana by law we are required to warranty our job, material included, we cover this by material markups, to not have this option you could be setting yourselves up when something goes bad down the road, as your state might also have a law like this.

I did one time allow a friend to supply the material on an apartment job, about 5 months after the job was done, they had a light that would not work right, so she called me and told me I need to take care of it because it is under warranty, I told her I didn't supply it, Oh she said she will get what I need but labor should be under warranty, I said oh really, well then her attorney called me and stated to me I was committed under the law to warranty the job no matter who supplied the material, checked with my lawyer and he agreed it wasn't right but it was in the law, so I did replace a bad switch but it was the last time I ever allowed the contractor/homeowner supply the materials.

Case law now says we have to warranty our work and only the material we supply, so now I have a disclaimer in my contracts, that says I don't warranty any material I don't supply, and labor is not included.

But I have still changed out a few ceiling fans just to make the costumer smile.:grin:

Anyone know what the law is in California?

durraniguy

What about warranty

What about warranty

Let him know that he has purchased the warranty if he buys materials. You can guarantee workmanship only. If you return to the job after completion it is full T & M. What is your labor rate?

satcom

Anyone know what the law is in California?

Not sure, but most of the states with licensing require their EC to warrant there labor and material, but remember some of the guys working with GC's may not be licensed or are guys that have full time work and are doing moonlighting they are at the mercy of whatever games GC wish to play.

GUNNING

I got a GC trying to do that to save money. His paranoia is getting in the way of common sense. Every time I make out my bill using his formula I think.

"WOW, I never make this kind of money on other jobs. "

Trying to figure out how to charge for the extras but I feel so guilty after him making me charge so much for so little. Last contractor really stuck it to him now he figures he is making out.

You can't cheat an honest person. It is really entertaining watching someone try though.

jmellc

Occupation
I wouldn't fight that battle. No use making enemies. If I agree to that kind of arrangement, I'll warranty the labor and ask GC/customer to buy the new eqpmt. Or I supply the eqpmt and charge only for it, not for labor. Customer would have to agree up front not to buy some piece of junk.

hurk27

I wouldn't fight that battle. No use making enemies. If I agree to that kind of arrangement, I'll warranty the labor and ask GC/customer to buy the new eqpmt. Or I supply the eqpmt and charge only for it, not for labor. Customer would have to agree up front not to buy some piece of junk.

Not to knock ya, and I know finding work in this economy is tuff, but I cant see having unlimited call back on material that I have not been paid a price to warranty, I cant see any one work for free, and if you sit down a figure it out, for the money you will be making, you might as well work for Mac Donald.
I have over head, and other bills, and if I have to pay a worker to return to a site to change out defective material, then there has to be a money source for this labor and over head, and this source comes from charging more for the materials.

jmellc

Occupation
Not to knock ya, and I know finding work in this economy is tuff, but I cant see having unlimited call back on material that I have not been paid a price to warranty, I cant see any one work for free, and if you sit down a figure it out, for the money you will be making, you might as well work for Mac Donald.
I have over head, and other bills, and if I have to pay a worker to return to a site to change out defective material, then there has to be a money source for this labor and over head, and this source comes from charging more for the materials.
Work around here is harder to find than ever. Maybe starting to turn a bit. I fight when I can, compromise when I must. My family has to eat. I have to keep a good name.

Status
Not open for further replies.