GEC placement

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I dont mind doing this but can I do it inside of each disconnect with pvc pipe between each of the disconnects? I'm trying to avoid any exposed ground wires or a wire trough on the outside of this house
If you don't want exposed condcutors then you'll need a junction box of some sort for the "taps". I would just use PVC for the GEC and PVC from each service disconnect into a PVC box. Split bolt the connections in the box.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I dont mind doing this but can I do it inside of each disconnect with pvc pipe between each of the disconnects? I'm trying to avoid any exposed ground wires or a wire trough on the outside of this house
You can keep asking until someone gives you the answer you want :) but 250.64 and the attached sketches fairly well you what the NEC requires.
IF you can't come from a common point ahead of the disconnect you pretty much have to do what is shown.

wc86

Occupation
Electrician
If you don't want exposed condcutors then you'll need a junction box of some sort for the "taps". I would just use PVC for the GEC and PVC from each service disconnect into a PVC box. Split bolt the connections in the box.
Hey so would i also be able to bring the water meter GEC into this box to bond that with split bolts?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Determine which GEC would be your largest (normally water or building steel) and bring that to you tap point and split bolt the disconnects and ground rods to that.

wc86

Occupation
Electrician
You can keep asking until someone gives you the answer you want :) but 250.64 and the attached sketches fairly well you what the NEC requires.
IF you can't come from a common point ahead of the disconnect you pretty much have to do what is shown.
Im probably going to roll the dice with the POCO honestly but I want the best looking solution as a backup. You would have no problem
Determine which GEC would be your largest (normally water or building steel) and bring that to you tap point and split bolt the disconnects and ground rods to that.
Thank you sir

wc86

Occupation
Electrician
Okay how about this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240125_105923_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125_105923_Gallery.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 19

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Okay how about this
Is this what you have? It looks like you have a GEC going to the water pipe. That would be sized according to the service conductors ahead of the three service disconnects. From there you have a bonding jumper to the ground rod and "taps" to each service disconnect?

wc86

Occupation
Electrician
Is this what you have? It looks like you have a GEC going to the water pipe. That would be sized according to the service conductors ahead of the three service disconnects. From there you have a bonding jumper to the ground rod and "taps" to each service disconnect?
Yes sir

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds good. Water pipe electrode GEC sized to the SEC's ahead of the meter stack. #6 bonding jumper to ground rod and a bonding jumper to each service based on the size the service conductors to each disconnect.

Occupation
Remodel contractor
If you read through this (long, but informative) thread, you will need a second ground rod. https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/gec.2578132/

250.94 requires an intersystem bonding terminal. The language in that section says that it must be external to the service and disconnect enclosures. I am not sure if you can put it inside a box - generally I've seen them just screwed on to the siding.

Instead of using one of those little IBTs... this might be a situation where installing a copper bus bar makes sense. In your first post you attached a picture showing a nice expanse of brick wall where you could mount it, meeting 250.94's requirement that the bar be accessible. Bring the GEC from your ground rods inside at a convenient point and land them on the bar. Also land your bonding jumper to the water pipe on the bar - hopefully you can connect within 5' of where it enters the building and run it alongside that perimeter wall. Then land the three GECs from the service disconnects on the bar. Finally, land the bonding jumper from the coaxial system on the bar. This way you keep the amount of visible wire, conduit, and boxes on the exterior of the house to a minimum.

Occupation
Remodel contractor
Lol you guys wont let the bus bar go regardless of me constantly saying i dont want one
Why don't you want a bus bar? You said you don't want exposed wires on the outside of the house (and I support that - I too work on those old Victorians and dislike seeing them cluttered up with external wiring). But you also don't want a bus bar in the basement?

It is going to be difficult to create a compliant grounding electrode system with no visible wire. I've seen it done on a house with a CCE, but you have ground rods. Relative to your last diagram, you can have less wiring outdoors if you are willing to accept a modest amount in the basement.

wc86

Occupation
Electrician
Why don't you want a bus bar? You said you don't want exposed wires on the outside of the house (and I support that - I too work on those old Victorians and dislike seeing them cluttered up with external wiring). But you also don't want a bus bar in the basement?

It is going to be difficult to create a compliant grounding electrode system with no visible wire. I've seen it done on a house with a CCE, but you have ground rods. Relative to your last diagram, you can have less wiring outdoors if you are willing to accept a modest amount in the basement.
I actually spoke with the national grid(poco) "designer". He said he doesn't care about GECs in the meter. So i only need to worry about the AHJ now calling it inaccessible. Never thought of installing the bus bar inside though. I will definitely consider that next time

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So i only need to worry about the AHJ now calling it inaccessible.
Why do you think he could make that call? It is allowed by the NEC, you are making this way to complicated. Read 250.24(A)(1)

1706443702703.png