going rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

don't be jealous cause you only have the Nationals to root for...

(Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea how any team is doing...)

tonyou812

Hey Celtic, I didn't mean to sound like a little xxxx, i just cant stand my coworkers. And i can get along with anybody, except the rednecks i am presently stuck with. But anyway I'm from the Morristown area. And would really appreciate any info on making the switch to industrial. I noticed a job in the paper under Manufacturing; industrial electricians wanted. But they are looking for 8 yrs experience. i was surprised to see it under Manufacturing. I guess i haven't been looking in the right places. I want to learn industrial wiring well because the thought of pulling romex for the rest of my life is enough to make me stick a fork in my eye. Don't get me wrong though, a little residential is good from time to time. Just to keep it real. But to do it all the time? My knees are hurting just thinking about it. And besides if Scotty(from Star Trek) was an electrician I'm sure he'd be an industrial one.

Last edited by a moderator:

celtic

tonyou812 said:
Hey Celtic, I didn't mean to sound like a little xxxx, i just cant stand my coworkers.
Don't worry about it ....much of what was posted was deleted (I never saw it) ...my "prima-donna" comment is for mahler - he's a wuss (LOL, j/k sport)

tonyou812 said:
But anyway I'm from the Morristown area. And would really appreciate any info on making the switch to industrial.
Think BIG....
- IBEW locals (164 or 102 )
- New Jersey Transit ...Rail is probably better than Bus... Trains, signals, stations, etc are electric.....both have maint. facilities....being "trapped" in a facility is NOT for everyone (like me).
- PSE&G ....they do ALL sorts of things electrically realted
- JCP&L/ First Energy ...they do ALL sorts of things electrically realted (are they also GPU???)
- Port Authority (and PATH) They got all sorts of stuff ~ airports, bridges, tunnels...even helicopters. HUGE is an understatement.

The last 4 sites above may NOT list positions for electricians - that does not neccessarily mean they aren't looking for them.

tonyou812 said:
I noticed a job in the paper under Manufacturing; industrial electricians wanted.
A maint. electrician is a different breed that a construction electrican (nothing negative).

Maint. guys usually have to wait for something to break in order to fix it, otherwise it may be daily, weekly, monthly checks of equipment to prevent breakdown and the occassional "new" work. It can become "routine" ....get up, drive the same route to the same facility, see the same people, punch the dam clock every dam day (wish it was a co-worker instead of a clock), etc...I tried this for awhile and eventually I was ready to stab myself in both eyes with a fork and a spoon (no knives permitted on company property).

Construction on the other hand allowed for lots of "variation" ...different job every few weeks(sometimes years), new guys comming and going, no clocks to punch...NO routinue ~ work yourself out of a job every job. Hate it while you are on one particular job, laugh as you realize there are only two "good" jobs (The one you left and the one you're going to)....laugh again as you realize they are really all the same just with different personalities. This I can handle.

If your hell-bent on ONE place to hang your hat for next 20 years...think BIG:
- Postal Service....miles of conveyors and sorting equipment just waiting to break down.
- Airports ...miles of conveyors, acres of buildings, miles of runway lights
- Trains ....each passenger train car has miles of wires in it and the next car is just waiting to crash into the one you just fixed.

tonyou812 said:
....the thought of pulling romex for the rest of my life is enough to make me stick a fork in my eye. .
Tell me about it :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
tonyou812 said:
And besides if Scotty(from Star Trek) was an electrician I'm sure he'd be an industrial one.

scotty1.jpg

"I canna change Ohm's Law, Captain!"

Last edited:

tonyou812

Big Thanks to you guys.. you guys actually cheered me up (as did my Gin and Tonic). I know I have a lot to learn but i really think industrial is more me. (Besides how could i ever be Captain of a starship if I dont know industrial wiring?)

robh

One thing that is becoming more and more common here in Oregon is that employers in industrial plants are getting away from having so many different trades in the building. We have a lot of electrician/instrumentation/millwright type of people. To get a $30/hr + electrician job here in industry, you had better be proficient or have a good understanding of (or at least 70% of them) PLCs, motors and motor controllers, distribution equipment, welding, pneumatics, hydraulics, and process controls. I am sure there are a lot of others that would be just as helpful to your cause. Chances are around here if you walked into just about any industrial plant and grabbed a piece of paper and drew a three phase motor starting circuit, and had the ability to get an Oregon electrical license, you could start out around $20-$23 an hour. Then depending on how valuble you make yourself to the company, probably a lot more.

Overkill

Yeah, like Celtic said, us industrial maintenance guys are a different breed. Were like firemen....mostly mundane stuff like preventive maintenance or filling machine operators' wishes lists (they LOVE dummy lights), fixing moronic "mistakes" like..."I just touched the touch screen and it shattered into pieces". You get my drift...

robh brought up a good point about companies looking for a guy that can program PLC's and weld. I'd advoid a company like that like the plague. They obviously dont know what a good industrial electrician is worth and are only concerened with the allmighty dollar. You would just be a number to them, no matter how good or bad you were.

Throught the years, I've seen many industrial electricians come and go.....quite a few average ones, alot of bad ones, and very few good ones. So how do you become a good one? good question.

First and foremost, you must be a good troubleshooter. I've "trained" many guys, and after "training" many of men, I firmly believe that troubleshooting is a skill that you have or you dont.

You must thrive on pressure. Theres nothing like having production down and as the minutes pass, the more managers show up, untill the plant manager is over your shoulder wanting to know whats going on and how long it will take to fix.

Ahhhhh, its the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, full count and down by one. Its all up to you.....Thats whats seperates the men from the boys!

Davis9

Overkill said:
First and foremost, you must be a good troubleshooter. I've "trained" many guys, and after "training" many of men, I firmly believe that troubleshooting is a skill that you have or you dont.

You must thrive on pressure. Theres nothing like having production down and as the minutes pass, the more managers show up, untill the plant manager is over your shoulder wanting to know whats going on and how long it will take to fix.

Ahhhhh, its the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, full count and down by one. Its all up to you.....Thats whats seperates the men from the boys!

So True.

Tom

brian john

What many people watching do not understand as one tries to resolve an issue (AT LEAST WITH ME) my first thoughts are not always the root of the issue but simply eliminating possible problems. Someone here's you mutter AHHHH improper WHATEVER and they take and run to the boss.

While I do better alone with no posse, I have gotten use to it for the most part, though I do limit pictures especially with flash.

Last edited by a moderator:

robh

"While I do better alone with no posse, I have gotten use to it for the most part, though I do limit pictures especially with flash."

I agree, I hate it when the tabloids chase me around the plant...

LawnGuyLandSparky

Overkill said:
Yeah, like Celtic said, us industrial maintenance guys are a different breed. Were like firemen....mostly mundane stuff like preventive maintenance or filling machine operators' wishes lists (they LOVE dummy lights), fixing moronic "mistakes" like..."I just touched the touch screen and it shattered into pieces". You get my drift...

robh brought up a good point about companies looking for a guy that can program PLC's and weld. I'd advoid a company like that like the plague. They obviously dont know what a good industrial electrician is worth and are only concerened with the allmighty dollar. You would just be a number to them, no matter how good or bad you were.

Throught the years, I've seen many industrial electricians come and go.....quite a few average ones, alot of bad ones, and very few good ones. So how do you become a good one? good question.

And then it's the inevitble "Well why can't you just bypass it "for now" as I'm losing money!!!"

celtic

LawnGuyLandSparky said:

And then it's the inevitble "Well why can't you just bypass it "for now" as I'm losing money!!!"

And then it's:
If we don't have the time to fix it properly NOW, then when will we have the time?

Overkill

LawnGuyLandSparky said:

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that, I'd be a rich man!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
industrial

industrial

sometimes a few sparks and a quick retreat will clear the spectators :)

brian john

If we don't have the time to fix it properly NOW, then when will we have the time?

I use to work with a guy that was lawyas saying

"Why is there never enough money or time to do the job right the first time? BUT, there is always enough time and funds to redo it properly the second time"

Status
Not open for further replies.