going rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

brian john said:
I use to work with a guy that was lawyas saying

"Why is there never enough money or time to do the job right the first time? BUT, there is always enough time and funds to redo it properly the second time"

When I was an electrician's helper, years ago, this old guy used to say to customers who complained about the cost, "You want it done for nothin', go get nobody to do it, it won't take no time at all"....:grin: :grin:

wireman71

tonyou812 I don't have as much experience as you in the trade but one thing I've found out in the various fields I've been in is never take a pay cut when going to a new job. There is a reason that new job doesn't want to pay you as well as what you are making. I wouldn't lateral on pay either unless the job you are at is absolutely the worst job you could have. Twice I've regretted leaving jobs in the past to learn something new or because I was sorta dissatisfied. Both times the pay was equal or less to what I was making and the jobs were not what I thought they would be. What I'm trying to say is be very careful leaving a decent job. I would go so far as to ask to go to a jobsite and see what they are doing if it is different that what you are doing so you can get a feel for what it really is.

khixxx

Don't feel bad. I was offered $11/hr and I have a state masters license been in the field for 9 years, mostly industrial work. I also had an offer of $10 with no benefits and another $11/hr for the first 40 hours for a perdiem. I just got off a job making $28/hr plus the perdiem working 72 hours a week. Usually the higher paying jobs have better people to work with. How ever I would rather dig a ditch with a tooth pick than work with some guys. Nothing like digging a ditch in 100+ degree weather and your "Buddy" is inside sitting on drywall.

It's been awhile sense your last post. I hear NJ is not going so good for workers. My cousin is hurting with his small resi, construction business. I hear you needed to be in the union to work in some states that have a union shop. I called my local 5 up and they guy told me over half have a lay off. I just told him I need it to workout of state traveling. He told me he was sending a package and they I will look it over then I would need to meet up with him. Set your price and don't back down. I played the game of "we'll give you a raise after 6 months or a truck" well when that time comes the company is laying off people. It's not easy to get a raise once your in. My last company that I worked full time with was great. How ever. I called in about 4 times to sit down and talk were they want me to go and were I need to be at financially and career wise. I got no response. I then put my 2 weeks in and then they come tripping over their feet to the site talking to me. what a joke.

Hope it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.