Ground up or down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Ground up or down?

Don, I call a truce between us and agree to agree here. :)

Roger

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Joe,

Your picture reminds me of the my days in the alarm business. In order to supply power to a control panel or photoelectric eye, a plug-in transformer was required (and, as far as I know still is). The transformers are encased in their own plastic housing with a small tab on top to secure the transformer to a receptacle via the 6/32 center screw (sometimes we stacked two in one receptacle - one facing up and one down). If the electrician who installed the receptacle supplied it with a metal cover the chances of that cover sliding down across the hot and neutral blades was great, especially if you had to change out a defective transformer with the power on.

Solution to the problem - use plastic receptacle covers. Aside from what I described I can't think of a reason to have anything plugged into a receptacle while trying to remove a metal plate.

ryan_618

Originally posted by tom baker:
Leviton does sell non metallic 6-32 screws.
Tom, as always thanks for your post, I wasn't aware of that. Question: Would you be in compliance with a metal faceplate and non-metallic screws?

hillbilly

Only if you use a non-metallic receptacle.
You can make it fool proof, not idiot proof.

websparky

OK,

Here is what I propose!

recp9.jpg

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Several cities up here in North Jersey are requiring that any receptacles or switches installed in bathrooms (houses, condos, apts. etc.) have the metal faceplates replaced with plastic and metal screws replaced with nylon 6/32 screws so that no metal parts are exposed at either the switch or receptacle.

I would imagine that the chances of the nylon screw becomming loose over time is a lot less likely than a metal screw backing out.

Websparky, great idea for those situations where the power cords are configured with the ground post facing up.

[ August 07, 2003, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

ok , ok ,, i know we did have the debate about the grounding outlet oraination ( postion) before and someone did post a odd ball outlet it look like duplex outlet but the face itself it was turned 90 degrees from normal postion i did saw the picture about that and it was on the froum but i try to click on the photo but my computer refuse to coorpation with me.. but i know levetion did make plastic screw in 6-32 size and colour to match it to the plastic plate so that is good option to use it i did heard some local codes are pretty strict with using the screw and covers my area is ok for now until something come up then have to change it

merci marc

stagert

There was a 'push' in the late 90s to start installing all receptacles with the ground lug in the top position. The manufacturers literature reflected this in their Marketing Bulletins, i.e. the graphics showed the recptacle with the ground lug on top. The only code I'm aware of that requires this positioning is the AHCA Code here in Florida. This is a requirement in all AHCA subject construction. Hospitals, Medical buildings, etc.

rattus

You guys have missed the obvious:

In the Northern Hemisphere the ground is up!

In the Southern Hemisphere the ground is down!

Or maybe it is the other way around?

jwelectric

I have listened to a lot of renting and raving about the nonmetallic 6-32 screw here in this thread. Being that no one seems to understand where this screw mignt be used I will take a minute to tell you.

404.9 (B) Grounding. Snap switches, including dimmer and similar control switches, shall be effectively grounded and shall provide a means to ground metal faceplates, whether or not a metal faceplate is installed. Snap switches shall be considered effectively grounded if either of the following conditions is met:
(1) The switch is mounted with metal screws to a metal box or to a nonmetallic box with integral means for grounding devices.
(2) An equipment grounding conductor or equipment bonding jumper is connected to an equipment grounding termination of the snap switch.

Exception to (B): Where no grounding means exists within the snap-switch enclosure or where the wiring method does not include or provide an equipment ground, a snap switch without a grounding connection shall be permitted for replacement purposes only. A snap switch wired under the provisions of this exception and located within reach of earth, grade, conducting floors, or other conducting surfaces shall be provided with a faceplate of nonconducting, noncombustible material or shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.
A snap switch wired under the provisions of this exception and located within reach of earth, grade, conducting floors, or other conducting surfaces shall be provided with a faceplate of nonconducting,
The only way to make this face plate nonconducting is to have nonmetallic screws holding the faceplate on thus the nylon screw.
Class dismissed
:)

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jwelectric:
I have listened to a lot of renting and raving about the nonmetallic 6-32 screw here in this thread. Being that no one seems to understand where this screw mignt be used I will take a minute to tell you.
Mike your still missing the purpose of nylon screws, that is just one use of these.

The rest of us know the Nylon screws are to be used to bond Nylon bonding jumpers to Non-metallic enclosures.

Class is out. :D

jwelectric

?Picture of light bulb coming on over my head?

Now I understand why Roger keeps a spool of 20 pound monofilament in his tool box now.
Trilene_Big_Game.jpg

davedottcom

Originally posted by charlie b:
And while we're at it, "Which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?" :D (If you think you know the answer to this one, would you care to bet a beer on it?) ;)
Which is longer, a yard stick or a 3 ft. long 2x4?

jwelectric

Originally posted by charlie b:
And while we're at it, "Which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?" (If you think you know the answer to this one, would you care to bet a beer on it?)

a pound of feathers is heavier due to the fact that gold is weighed by Troy weight or 14 oz = 1 lb

how did I do Charlie?

Status
Not open for further replies.