Ground up or down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

normbac

Re: Ground up or down?

ground up to identify the switched outlet, the rest ground down to keep the home owner from asking questions

davedottcom

Oh, sorry, I never answered the original question.

Ground up or down?

Any way except facing up , unless in a floor outlet assembly.

redfish

I was told by an Army Corp of Engineers electrical engineer, that somewhere in the U.S. there was an incident where a slip of paper had fallen behind someones desk. The paper had slipped in between the wall and the plug and rested itself across both the hot and the neutral prongs of the plug. Eventually it caught fire and the building burned causing a fatality. This was the answer he gave me, maybe this is true, maybe it isn't. :confused:

hardworkingstiff

I think I should start installing them all horizontally so I don't have to worry about it. (But then I guess it would be ground left or ground right).... Sigh, oh well. :confused:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by jwelectric: a pound of feathers is heavier due to the fact that gold is weighed by Troy weight or 14 oz = 1 lb. how did I do Charlie?
It's a good thing that you did not first take up my invitation to bet a beer on the question. You got it right.

Now are we ready to take on the other eternal questions:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Which came first, the chicken or the egg?</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How far can a dog run into a forest?</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If a tree falls in a forest (before the dog arrives ? I don't want the ASPCA all over me), and if nobody is there, is there a sound?</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I, and only I, know the true answers to these eternal questions. If you wish to learn the answers, then put in your bids on eBay. :D

By the way, I can't believe you reopened this thread, Rattus, after it was idle for over two years. Can't you let sleeping dogs lie (and let dogs running into forests run)? :p

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Sorry, Steve, but that is the most commonly cited, yet still incorrect, answer. The rest of that answer is generally given as, "Half way. After that point, the dog is running out of, and not into, the forest."

Alas, the ultimate truth lies elsewhere. :D

[ September 19, 2005, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: charlie b ]

sceepe

By the way, I can't believe you reopened this thread, Rattus, after it was idle for over two years.
I agree, I saw a post from Bennie and thought he was some how back. It took me 20 minutes to realize the initial post was from 2003. It's Monday you got to give us a break. Tell ya what, will you close the thread if I rephrase the question?

I am a homeowner and I was wondering, how should I install these electrical plug do-dads I bought at home depot. Does the round hole thing-a-ma-jig go up or down. I am gonna hold this here black wire in my teeth till I get your response.

Bennie

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by charlie b:
Originally posted by jwelectric: a pound of feathers is heavier due to the fact that gold is weighed by Troy weight or 14 oz = 1 lb. how did I do Charlie?
It's a good thing that you did not first take up my invitation to bet a beer on the question. You got it right.
Sorry guys I think that is lame answer:p

Which is hotter?

Brick at 100 degrees or silicon at 212 degrees?

When comparisons are made the generally accepted practice is that we will use the same measure to compare.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Originally posted by iwire: Which is hotter? Brick at 100 degrees or silicon at 212 degrees?
I agree my question was lame, but are you trying to play the same game on me? :D :D

If so, then I would have to ask: Did you intend to say "Brick at 100 degrees C or silicon at 212 degrees F? Just wanted to make sure I understood the question. ;)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by charlie b:
Now are we ready to take on the other eternal questions:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Which came first, the chicken or the egg?</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How far can a dog run into a forest?</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If a tree falls in a forest (before the dog arrives ? I don't want the ASPCA all over me), and if nobody is there, is there a sound?</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
My guesses:

The egg.

All the way.

Yes.

69boss302

I was thinking more like

-The Chicken, just because

-A dog can run as far into the woods as he wants, after that he's walking :D

-There is a sound because there is always some kind of receiver. (even if it's just a bug's ear :D )

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

OK. Nobody put in a bid on eBay to buy my eternal answers. So I'll give away one, in the hopes of getting a buyer for the others. :D

A dog can run into a forest for only the length of its body. After that, whether running or walking, the dog is moving in, or if you prefer within, but no longer into, the forest. :D

paul32

The chicken was first. God made the first animals, not eggs.

Of course there is a sound. A sound is waves in the air, present even if nobody hears it.

Charlie, and earlier thread had "Who is buried in Grant's tomb?" but I don't think anyone tried to answer it, so may as well add it to this thread. :)
(I know the answer but won't say right now)

Status
Not open for further replies.