Have any of you transitioned…

W@ttson

… from Electrical engineer to electrician?

If so how did you do it?

Typically states give credit for licensure for a bachelors in electrical engineering. Did you state require proof of hands on experience?

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
trust me you may not want to pursue being an electrician, is it rewarding .. yes.

Does it toughen ya up .. yes.

Is it worth all the blood and sweat .. maybe.

Does it make ya rich .. probably not.

Some times I imagine the joys of an air conditioned environment of a white collar position.

Stick it out as the engineer, its a dignified and important position.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I can understand the grass is greener point of view but unless you can find a position that your PE stamp and on the job experience would benefit it might not be worth it. If you get some tool experience you're engineering will improve I'm sure.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
What dont you like about being an engineer? I'd recommend looking into working with a smaller PLC/SCADA Integrator. Those guys interface with the equipment and some of them own screw drivers. The good ones are pretty hands on. Its interesting work. Lots of troubleshooting and just enough field work to appreciate an office.

W@ttson

Not that I don't like my engineering job, or that I would stop, I just don't like not being able to get a license for something which I feel like I would be able to do proficiently. Especially, since I do have practical hands on experience both formally (vocational high school) and informal.

As Tainted is saying I would like to keep my day job, but offer something useful in my off time.

With an Electrical Contractor License, I would be able to pull Electrical permits and work officially on my off time. Also with an Electrical Contractors license you can perform Fire Alarm Inspections, at least in my state. As a Professional Electrical Engineer I can design and sign/seal Fire Alarm systems but I can't inspect them? That doesn't make sense to me. Adding that as a service to my company I would find it to be useful, design the system, install the fire alarm system for you, and offer yearly inspection/testing.

If it was a matter of passing a written exam based on the NEC and even a practical exam, I believe I could pass both, but I wouldn't be able to show officially X years of hands on experience.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
My boss (who was a contractor now is an engineer) has told me that being a contractor and engineer on the same job is a conflict of interest and isn’t allowed by law. You can however be a contractor and engineer if jobs are different

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
… from Electrical engineer to electrician?

If so how did you do it?

Typically states give credit for licensure for a bachelors in electrical engineering. Did you state require proof of hands on experience?
I went the other way. I went from electrician to electrical designer (not an engineer). Long story on that , but lets say I did not have a choice to be an electrical designer.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I went the other way. I went from electrician to electrical designer (not an engineer). Long story on that , but lets say I did not have a choice to be an electrical designer.
What's the difference between an electrical designer and electrical engineer as it pertains to this industry? Is an electrical designer just a drafter?

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Michigan offers ZERO credit for an electrical engineering degree or PE. If you want to become a licensed electrician, you'll need to start (and finish) electrician school from Day One. About all the degree will do for you is enable you to nap though the classes and still pass the exams.

full disclosure: This is several years old and may be obsolete.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
There are at least a couple of guys in the Solar Community here in Austin who are both Master Electricians and and PEs.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My field was professional electrical engineering. That said, I also had to look and the practical side of things - the practical side of things as needed.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Not that I don't like my engineering job, or that I would stop, I just don't like not being able to get a license for something which I feel like I would be able to do proficiently. Especially, since I do have practical hands on experience both formally (vocational high school) and informal.

As Tainted is saying I would like to keep my day job, but offer something useful in my off time.

With an Electrical Contractor License, I would be able to pull Electrical permits and work officially on my off time. Also with an Electrical Contractors license you can perform Fire Alarm Inspections, at least in my state. As a Professional Electrical Engineer I can design and sign/seal Fire Alarm systems but I can't inspect them? That doesn't make sense to me. Adding that as a service to my company I would find it to be useful, design the system, install the fire alarm system for you, and offer yearly inspection/testing.

If it was a matter of passing a written exam based on the NEC and even a practical exam, I believe I could pass both, but I wouldn't be able to show officially X years of hands on experience.
Well, having a degree in electrical construction, worked as an electrician, got an engineering degree and now work in an office with heat and air conditioning... I can say I 100% feel the same way.

I choose to be an engineer because I enjoyed the idea of designing and problem solving, but I love turning wrenches (squeezing pliers) too. I saw too many old timers with broken backs and stiff hands, so I decided to go soft. I pick up side jobs doing receptacles, lights, sub panel installs, but like what you said about pulling permits, it would be better to have my license to do more coordination with the utility company and be able to work in areas where a license is required.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Michigan offers ZERO credit for an electrical engineering degree or PE. If you want to become a licensed electrician, you'll need to start (and finish) electrician school from Day One. About all the degree will do for you is enable you to nap though the classes and still pass the exams.

full disclosure: This is several years old and may be obsolete.
I don't know... not many of my EE class mates could tell you where to look for ampacity difference between a #14 and #4 Cu conductor. It will help in the theory, but from my experience, the EE program didn't teach anything practical for construction.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I don't know... not many of my EE class mates could tell you where to look for ampacity difference between a #14 and #4 Cu conductor. It will help in the theory, but from my experience, the EE program didn't teach anything practical for construction.
In college, a BSEE degree they tend to focus more on electronic circuits rather than power distribution.

The only useful thing that I learned out of college for me that I apply in this industry was circuit analysis and complex math (with imaginary numbers). That's it.

I had to learn short circuit calculations for power distribution out of college because they didn't teach me this.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I have wondered about the reverse, transitioning from Electrician to EE, leveraging years of field experience to minimize the years of school.
Seems like if you have a decade (or more) experience as a licensed EE or Licensed Master (AKA Supervising) Electrician that should count for something.