Have any of you transitioned…

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I went the other way. I went from electrician to electrical designer (not an engineer). Long story on that , but lets say I did not have a choice to be an electrical designer.
Similar story for me. I started out as an electrician, got hurt and went back to school to become an engineer, then later came to own an integrator company that then expanded into being an EC, so I came full circle. Personally I think my having actually worked on gear in the field as an electrician makes me a better engineer. I can see stupid designs from the standpoint of having been a guy tasked with implementing it. I see a lot of fresh-out-of-college engineers who design things that can’t really be done in the field, especially when it comes to cramming 10lbs of stuff into a 5lb box and expecting someone to be able to terminate it…

OK, rant complete…

Back to the subject, I think the hardest part is the field time requirements that exist in most state licensing requirements. That’s difficult to attain as a part-timer, you would have to find a contractor willing to let you work like that to get your hours.