Have any of you transitioned…

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I have a PE license plate that looks like this:

Professional Engineer custom plate

Now I'm wondering, what if I stop working as an engineer and discontinue my license? Do I have to stop using this plate now? Stupid question but curious.

Really? It seems to be standard practice now. What is your reasoning? (Not arguing, just hoping to learn something.)
NO No NO NO nO, dont do that. JLC magazine had a article a few years ago showing that nonsense on the cover photo (I think I found the one attached), maybe that is why people started doing it LOL. What is the purpose? Ok having extra wire,...... when are you going to need extra wire really? Its a bad idea for several reasons. For one, on insulated walls with batts, you are making a big knot that wont be insulated well. Also the cables are not secured before they enter the box. ITs arguably a code violation and could lead to conductors without an outer jacket being pushed outside a box. Lastly, it just screems DIY. See how much better mine looks?

Attachments

• JLC.jpg
    JLC.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 28
  • JLC2.jpg
    JLC2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 28

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
NO No NO NO nO, dont do that. JLC magazine had a article a few years ago showing that nonsense on the cover photo (I think I found the one attached), maybe that is why people started doing it LOL. What is the purpose? Ok having extra wire,...... when are you going to need extra wire really? Its a bad idea for several reasons. For one, on insulated walls with batts, you are making a big knot that wont be insulated well. Also the cables are not secured before they enter the box. ITs arguably a code violation and could lead to conductors without an outer jacket being pushed outside a box. Lastly, it just screems DIY. See how much better mine looks?
I do staple close but leave extra for light boxes and even kitchens I'll staple light to nec minimum. When you end up remodeling your own job from years back youll thank yourself. But that's a separate thing than this discussion.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager

Now I'm wondering, what if I stop working as an engineer and discontinue my license? Do I have to stop using this plate now? Stupid question but curious.
Why would you have to stop using it? That PE # is registered to you and I don't think they reuse PE #'s or maybe they do.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Once again, we are only talking about the title of "engineer", not P.E. it has nothing to do with the services you offer, your capabilities, certifications, authorization etc. There is no baseline or logical reasoning for "in order to call yourself an engineer, you must be a P.E." My argument is simply that. I am an "engineer" and I will become a P.E once I take the test ( which I don't need) :)

Regardless of the lawsuits and what others say, If I am taken to the court, when I show my 4 year college engineering degree (BSEE), years of experience working as an "engineer", my designs, patent, etc. no one will be able to strip that title from me.
Anyone can sue anyone and there are different circumstances, people and decisions to influence the outcome. What are we suppose to call ourselves if not an "engineer? :) To be honest with you, most engineers, including the P.Es have never engineered anything! Think about that: reusing the calculations, technology, etc. what others initially created, found, built...we are not really engineering anything.
I will leave it at that. The term "engineer" "engineering services" is very broad.

You cannot call yourself a P.E. or offer services if you do not have the license; there is no argument there. If your license expires, you are still an engineer; you are no longer a P.E. The explanation is pretty clear I think.
I don't know the rules of your state, hell I don't even know what state you are from. In Florida and in other states like GA, IL, TN, etc. you have to be a registered PE in that state to practice engineering services in that state. Also, in Florida you are not considered a PE until after 4 years of working under a registered PE and pass the PE exam. Until then you are considered an EIT or and Engineer in Training. I am also hopeful that you know what the term PE stands for, its not Practicing Engineer, its Professional Engineer.

Again, I am not arguing with you, I just want to learn all of the rules and regulations.

Teaser2

Occupation
Electrician/EE
I don't know the rules of your state, hell I don't even know what state you are from. In Florida and in other states like GA, IL, TN, etc. you have to be a registered PE in that state to practice engineering services in that state. Also, in Florida you are not considered a PE until after 4 years of working under a registered PE and pass the PE exam. Until then you are considered an EIT or and Engineer in Training. I am also hopeful that you know what the term PE stands for, its not Practicing Engineer, its Professional Engineer.

Again, I am not arguing with you, I just want to learn all of the rules and regulations.
I know you are not, I am not either. I was trying to make a point. Clearly, you are not getting my point. I know it is Professional Engineer. No need to be a wise guy! Anyways, no need to waste anymore time on this subject...

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
In Florida and in other states like GA, IL, TN, etc. you have to be a registered PE in that state to practice engineering services in that state.
That's true unless you are working under a PE's supervision; at least that is the law in Texas.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Why would you have to stop using it? That PE # is registered to you and I don't think they reuse PE #'s or maybe they do.
I became a PE this year. and I believe you have to pay to renew your license. So if I stop paying I am not a PE anymore until I pay again. They don't reuse PE #s. You're stuck with that number for life.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I became a PE in this and I believe you have to pay to renew your license. So if I stop paying I am not a PE anymore until I pay again. They don't reuse PE #s. You're stuck with that number for life.
I have to pay (it's not a whole lot) as well as keep up with continuing education credits; doing that costs more than my license renewal fee by quite a bit.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design

Thats a great plate.
I think whatever you put on a license plate is just like bumper sticker and falls under your first amendment rights.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Thats a great plate.
I think whatever you put on a license plate is just like bumper sticker and falls under your first amendment rights.
Haha not sure if you’re being sarcastic.

This is an official plate from DMV, no sticker or anything. You just have to show them your PE registration and you get it in the mail for a decent fee.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Thats interesting that they verify your a PE.
But seriously, if you look at the Oregon court case where the defendant won, they ruled you have the first amendment right to call your self an engineer (or electrician or whatever), put whatever you want on your car.
You just can't mislead the public with a business card or a job title.
The guy handing out the business card that says I am a "forest xyz engineer" was considered misleading, becasue he was not really a licensed PE. You'd have to look up NY laws and case history to be sure.
And even then someone would have to complain for it to be enforced.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Thats interesting that they verify your a PE.
But seriously, if you look at the Oregon court case where the defendant won, they ruled you have the first amendment right to call your self an engineer (or electrician or whatever), put whatever you want on your car.
You just can't mislead the public with a business card or a job title.
The guy handing out the business card that says I am a "forest xyz engineer" was considered misleading, becasue he was not really a licensed PE. You'd have to look up NY laws and case history to be sure.
And even then someone would have to complain for it to be enforced.
So in Oregon, someone can put a bumper sticker that says "I'm a physician" and it would be equally ok per first amendment right?

Engineer is a more loose title than physician in my opinion

So in Oregon, someone can put a bumper sticker that says "I'm a physician" and it would be equally ok per first amendment right?
I think so. The thing is I think there are generally a lot less laws than people think there are and/or you have to look at exactly what they say and do not say. I would conjecture that most laws on this topic are specifically on the situation of someone presenting themselves as being in the business and soliciting work with the credentials.

Knightryder12

Occupation

This is an official plate from DMV, no sticker or anything. You just have to show them your PE registration and you get it in the mail for a decent fee.
So if you did not have a PE license you couldn't get that plate? Do they continue to check if you are valid every year? Wonder what happens if you do not have a current PE registration?

Knightryder12

Occupation

Engineer is a more loose title than physician in my opinion
If you add at the end of that statement with "but I stayed in a Holiday Inn once."

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
So if you did not have a PE license you couldn't get that plate? Do they continue to check if you are valid every year? Wonder what happens if you do not have a current PE registration?
If you do not have the license, you cannot obtain the plate. I had to mail them a copy of my license. I think I have to pay an annual fee, not sure if they have to check my license, i recently got it this year lol.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
So in Oregon, someone can put a bumper sticker that says "I'm a physician" and it would be equally ok per first amendment right? ...

There's a big difference between putting a bumper sticker on your car and practicing medicine without a license.

Truth is not a prerequisite for exercising your First Amendment rights.
And can't be -- if it were, then there would need to be a Federal Truth Commission evaluating speech, and opinions -- especially political opinions -- aren't necessarily facts that can be judged true or false.

Mtybee

Frankly I have considered the opposite, go get my engineering. I am 70, still working as a Master with 45 years. Figured it might not be a bad way to go to take on projects I want to take on and work from home. Have a younger family that still needs taken care of and like the guy above said, this business ain't gonna make ya rich. The only retirement I am likely to get is the 6 foot plan.