Have any of you transitioned…

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
What's the difference between an electrical designer and electrical engineer as it pertains to this industry? Is an electrical designer just a drafter?
I do basically everything an engineer does but I am not degreed. I do not have a PE and cannot sign and seal.

Knightryder12

Occupation
I have wondered about the reverse, transitioning from Electrician to EE, leveraging years of field experience to minimize the years of school.
Seems like if you have a decade (or more) experience as a licensed EE or Licensed Master (AKA Supervising) Electrician that should count for something.
From what I know, there is only 1 state that does that and its Cali. At least that is what I found a few years ago when I was searching for it. I think Cali wanted 10 years experience.

Knightryder12

Occupation
I am both. I have a BSEE and MSIT; I am not a PE (For me, there was never a need to get one). I am a licensed master electrician in 3 States. I have been doing controls engineering and electrical installation for the last 30+ years. I did not have to use/proof was educational credits to substitute for the required hours, because I had more than enough time (hands on) to cover it.
As an engineer, I have been making a good living, however, do not take away the potential to earn so much more as an electrical contracting. I like the physical work, as much as the programming etc. I enjoy both. My suggestion is to utilize both if you can; double income.
Correct me if I am wrong, but you cannot call yourself an engineer without a PE license, or is that not a correct statement?

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
Correct me if I am wrong, but you cannot call yourself an engineer without a PE license, or is that not a correct statement?
I'm going with "incorrect" on that one. I have a four-year bachelor's degree in EET graduating in 1997 and have been at this same desk as an "engineer" ever since. I think I would be offended if someone came in here and told me I weren't no engineer. $.02

My opinion is that transitioning from one to the other really depends on the person. I worked as an apprentice during college to learn the trade as well as pay my way through college. As soon as I had my degree, I went into engineering. The background of being in the field really helped me out since I'm now kind of the "guru" around here when it comes to "facility" stuff because no one else seems to understand it except for a few of the senior guys. The issue with going the other way, from EE to Electrician, seems to make sense when it comes to taking into consideration the number of years dealing with electricity; however, there are engineers around here that can reprogram the space shuttle but can't install a 3-way switch. It's insane to me that lack of some of their knowledge when it comes to three wires, a line, a neutral, and a ground.

I don't know that it makes sense to blanket the industry with a "get credit" for "years served" without some kind of testing to see if they really have a clue. With that being said, I've always told the wife that when the red tape gets too deep around here on these DoD contacts and I've reached my limit, I'm going back to running ceiling fan wires in hot attics. LOL I keep my good friends in the industry close and if that day comes, I'll grab my tool belt and be out the door the next day with a job. As far as "credit" for the years already served, I would "hope" that would be considered but again, my case may be a little different that some.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I'm going with "incorrect" on that one. I have a four-year bachelor's degree in EET graduating in 1997 and have been at this same desk as an "engineer" ever since. I think I would be offended if someone came in here and told me I weren't no engineer. $.02
Is EET an engineering degree? In Texas you can call yourself an engineer if you do not have a degree in engineering only in certain contexts. If you do but are not a PE there are also contextual restrictions; you cannot represent yourself as providing engineering services to the public if you are not a PE, but you can have "engineer" on your business card if you work in a firm under a PE.

I have a nephew who does not have a college degree at all who is employed as an "engineer" by Tesla; he got quite upset with me a while back when I told him that his 10 years of experience working in high tech notwithstanding, in the eyes of the state of Texas (cue the song) he is not an engineer and cannot be one without earning an engineering degree.

Teaser2

Occupation
Electrician/EE
No sir, you do not need a PE License to call yourself an Engineer. There is even an ongoing debate whether you need a BS degree to call yourself an engineer.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... I think this conversation is gearing more towards why we have licenses in the first place.
Part of it is to harbor the safety of the public. Part of it is job security I would say. ...
When first pursuing my PE, I had a lot of difficulty because the state board needed recommendations from several established PEs. I had a degree and several years doing product engineering, but nothing that required a PE anywhere in the organization. Applying to engineering firms was largely a waste of time; they seemed to be hiring only PEs or nepotites. I think it's more than just job security; I think part of it is preserving the old-boy network.

I have an EE degree and in Wisconsin, if I pass the Master Exam, I can get the Master License without apprenticeship. ...

Though I could pass the exam and pull a permit, I think it would be valuable to also have some OTJ experience in residential electrical to improve my skill and experience. How might I approach an electrical contractor to say something like this: "Hey, I'll work for you 1/2 time for no cost to you just for the experience"? Any special considerations I should have in mind?
I should move to Wisconsin temporarily. (not that I'm a license collector or anything ... )

I worked for a master electrician one summer. Did a trucking company base of operations. Office, maintenance garage, and about 200 parking spaces, each with a 20-amp receptacle. Some new construction, some retro, 800-amp main service, some hazardous locations, some vdv, a whole lot of underground. My skills improved a lot that summer. My physical fitness, too.

Don't offer half wages. Just answer help-wanted ads from the better firms and impress them with your intelligence, motivation, maturity and reliability. Don't mention your degree or your ulterior motive, either.

If you can get the Master License without apprenticeship, can you also can a journeyman license without apprenticeship? Get that, craft a suitable resume around it, then present yourself as just one more working electrician.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I think it really depends on the state as others states, for example in NYC if the service is 1000kVA or larger, it needs to be designed by a PE
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/buildings/rules/1_RCNY_4000-01.pdf ...
I would hope that would also be the case for services over 600 volts.

... As long as they are a PE and practicing within their technical ability OR they have supervised the people who did the design and retained responsible charge, you can be a Mechanical engineer PE, Structural engineer PE and still sign and seal those plans. ...
That's pretty much inevitable. One person needs to be designated the Chief Engineer who's in responsible charge, but on complex projects, (nuclear powerplant, anybody?) one person can't possibly be an expert in all the relevant fields simultaneously.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
his 10 years of experience working in high tech notwithstanding, in the eyes of the state of Texas (cue the song) he is not an engineer and cannot be one without earning an engineering degree.
If his engineering work experience is under a Texas PE wont that knock down the degree requirement to X number years of school?

ggunn

Occupation
If his engineering work experience is under a Texas PE wont that knock down the degree requirement to X number years of school?
No, I don't think so. I had the pertinent (convoluted lawyer-ese) rules bookmarked but now I cannot find the links. I was going to send them to my nephew when I was still in an arguing mood, but then I just said screw it. If he wants to think he is an engineer, let him. :D

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
I am a BAS-EET (bachelors applied science- electronics engineering technology, tech school degree), the biggest difference is the math and a little less in depth on the theory, had I a taken a different route in my career I would have been an electronic designer with this degree (circuit boards and such). But I hate calculus and so went the tech school route and so even as a designer I would not have been able to do the full job of an electrical engineer. But it is a technicians degree not an engineers, a point I have had to make in multiple job interviews.
Yes, the math is a little less intensive and it's more of a how to use the IC's as opposed to how to design the ICs. I do the exact same work around here as the EE's do and most of the ME's. I think titles are crap anyway. I'd hire someone with 20 yrs experience and zero degree over someone with a masters right out of college any day. Just my $.02.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
hi - I believe that in most states, is is not lawful to advertise/offer/provide engineering services unless registered as a PE.
These prohibitions are usually for actions 'To the general public.'

Most states allow 'business card' titles to say engineer.
States,typically, also allow internal engineering similar to how they allow electrical work by unlicensed employees.

Teaser2

Occupation
Electrician/EE
hi - I believe that in most states, is is not lawful to advertise/offer/provide engineering services unless registered as a PE.
Hello Raberding, we are not questioning the requirements to have a P.E License that engineering services need for certain areas, approvals etc.; can you call yourself an engineer if you don't have a P.E License ? The answer is yes.

ggunn

Occupation
Hello Raberding, we are not questioning the requirements to have a P.E License that engineering services need for certain areas, approvals etc.; can you call yourself an engineer if you don't have a P.E License ? The answer is yes.
You can call yourself anything you like. Whether others will call you that is a different matter. :D

In Texas:
You can call yourself an engineer if you do not have an engineering degree under certain circumstances.
If you have an engineering degree but not a PE license you can call yourself an engineer under other circumstances.
You must have a PE license when you are offering engineering services without a PE's supervision.

Last edited:

Teaser2

Occupation
Electrician/EE
You can call yourself anything you like. Whether others will call you that is a different matter. :D
"Call me anything, but don't call me late for dinner";) My postings are no longer value added on this subject; I am an electrician today :)
Thank you All and have a great day!

In Texas:
You can call yourself an engineer if you do not have an engineering degree under certain circumstances.
If you have an engineering degree but not a PE license you can call yourself an engineer under other circumstances.
You must have a PE license when you are offering engineering services without a PE's supervision.
I think if you drive trains you can call yourself an engineer 🚂