Help wanted ad . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I was perusing one of my favorite local classified websites, just looking for various wares that I might find useful, when I came across this help wanted ad. Enjoy . .

FEARLESS Residential Electricians Needed

LONG HOURS, Relentless supervisor, endless customer demands, hot attics, some long ditches, lots of sweat and frustration....
possible loss of wife (due to late nites) Weekends are a rotated must. Alienated children are expected. Some Holidays.

I love a straight shooter. If I were looking for a job, I would call this guy in an instant.

ceb58

You are right he is honest about it. Gives it upfront with out sugar coating it. I saw a story on the national news yesterday about employers looking to hire. There thing was "unemployed need not apply". Unless you had a job they would not accept an application.

stevenje

You are right he is honest about it. Gives it upfront with out sugar coating it. I saw a story on the national news yesterday about employers looking to hire. There thing was "unemployed need not apply". Unless you had a job they would not accept an application.

What is the logic behind this policy? Would this policy be considered discriminatory?

M4gery

What is the logic behind this policy?

Some people are of the attitude that anyone can get a job in a moments notice at any time, so anyone who doesn't have a job is worthless. They figure in a time like this, the best workers are the ones with jobs, therefore everyone without a job isn't a good worker.

ceb58

What is the logic behind this policy? Would this policy be considered discriminatory?

Federal employment laws spell out what is discrimination and what is not. Employed or not doesn't fall into that category.
I think there mind set is even if you have been layed off and taken a job that is below what you were making then you are trying and are willing to work. You are not just setting around waiting on the next check. The saying that you can get a job if you have a job holds true.
I personally know a guy that got mad at his boss, and after some heated words he found himself fired. He signed up for unemployment and got it. He applied and got another job starting at $13.00 per hr.driving a fork lift. He worked at it for 2 weeks and quit. His reasoning. He could draw $100.00 more per week on unemployment by sitting at home.

wireguy8169

The reality is, even if you don't live way above your means, you may not be able to live on 13 dollars an hour and collecting UE is the only way you can feed you family and not lose the house. In my opinion thinking like is definitly discriminatory just cause someone gets let go does not mean they were a subpar employee. Could be they were making to much money, had to many bennies, and to much vacation time. The person that was kept was easier on the company bottom line, which is business. I wonder if they have a sign up "Irish need not apply"

cadpoint

I've worked for a few of these guys as describied in the OP they just weren't as straight forward as was said in the OP...

I've also worked with one Guy that said do not talk to my/ his fellow employee's... :confused:

growler

If I were looking for a job, I would call this guy in an instant.

I must admit the job does sound good but he didn't exactly say what type of work they were doing and how much they were going to pay.

The truth is I would tend to distrust anyone wanting "fearless" electricians. I don't even like to work with ''fearless" electricians I prefer to work with those that are smart enough to know when to have a little fear.

The old adage that fools rush in where angles fear to tread does have some truth to it.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
jobs

jobs

This will leave folks returning from their deployment in Iraq out.
they don't want people that have been collecting for two years case and point a guy ihave worked with in the past started a new job on monday and quit allready because he said he could make more on the dole and thats why they stop exstending U/I 99 weeks is way to long and they are to used to the money for nothing.

:)Any guy coming home from Iraq will have no problem getting a new job:)

Kdog76

they don't want people that have been collecting for two years case and point a guy ihave worked with in the past started a new job on monday and quit allready because he said he could make more on the dole and thats why they stop exstending U/I 99 weeks is way to long and they are to used to the money for nothing.

:)Any guy coming home from Iraq will have no problem getting a new job:)

That's what I thought...

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I once posted a sign at the wholesale house that said: "Wanted: Boss. Must be dependable and reliable. Must have own truck and tools."

Got a bunch of calls on that one.

mkgrady

Yes it it is discriminatory against people that don't have a job. It is not however illegal discrimination. You can't discrimate against a persons race, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, and maybe some other things I can't remember.

You can discriminate against stupid people, ugly people, lazy people, people with less skills than required to do the job, etc., etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.