Hot Tub sitting on Pavers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dillon3c

Re: Hot Tub sitting on Pavers!

Originally posted by davedottcom:

I'm pretty sure it is much cheaper then buying or making a copper grid.

Does the NEC get any more specific about the gauge or size of the Steele being used? [/QB]
Dave,
Funny you should mention the cost.Because the listed pressure connectors,I was speaking of in my posting "(X)" or really like "(+)" for the prefab grid in field..

Got it on good authority..The connectors I seen are manufactured by "NSI" and sold for $3.95 each.

davedottcom

For a 12' x 12' grid (Not including the part Under the tub, just the 3' around it)... I come up with 140 cross sections! :eek:
Holy Shnykies!

davedottcom

Originally posted by jim sutton:
After some thought, I dont know if this would meet 680.26 (C)(1). This section says "the structural reinforcing steel of a concrete pool".

A hot tub would not be a "concrete pool".

I would look into the product above made by ERICO to be on the safe side.
Let's see, if my math is correct, it's actually cheaper to add an inground pool and use it's steel instead of building the copper grid!!! :p

davedottcom

680.26 Equipotential Bonding
(A) Performance. The equipotential bonding required by this section shall be installed to eliminate voltage gradients in the POOL area as prescribed.

Where does the NEC require an E-Grid (as I now call it!) for a Hot Tub?

iwire

Staff member

I don't envy you guys out there trying to tell customers how much needs to be done and how much it will cost. :eek:

davedottcom

Yea, I don't envy myself right now. Looks like I will need to make a call and explain to the customer I need to add about $500.00 to the job cost after I already gave them a quote. :( :roll:

davedottcom

Honestly, I plan on pleading my (Unbroken wire) case to the AHJ to see what they say.
It really shouldn't be necessary (to bond all the crosses) and I have the feeling they will see my point. I really think it is only important when two different wires cross not the same wire. I realize there is a slight, and I mean slight (Approx. 0.000764 ohms per ft.)difference in the resistance of the length of wire but man...that's a pretty weak argument in my opinion.
We'll see, I'll talk to them and I'll let youz guyz know what they say.
Thanks for the input.
Dave

pierre

Dave
Not to be a party pooper, but $500 may be a little on the low side - price this stuff, then tell them.

I believe that this copper mesh comes with a suit of armour to soften the blows that will follow the price announcement :D

davedottcom

You're probably right Pierre, I was just approximating.
I'm trying to think of an alternate way around this E-Grid. Not to undermine the NEC, just to give my customer an option when I present this whole mess to him.

The only thing I can think of that would look nice and be effective would be to build a 36" wooden deck/step around the tub.(Probably just as expensive!) :(

jim sutton

Hi Dave
Im wondering where it says you don't have to have a EBG if you have a wood walking platform (deck)?

davedottcom

Jim, I don't think a wooden deck would be considered a "paved walking surface" in 680.26(C).
Neither would crushed stone, or grass, or mulch, or astro-turf! I just think the wooden deck might look the best! ;)

Like I said, I'm just trying to give the customer options, not trying to dodge the NEC.

Editted to add: By the way, I already checked... Paved Walking Surface is NOT defined in the NEC!

[ September 11, 2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: davedottcom ]

jim sutton

Jim, I don't think a wooden deck would be considered a "paved walking surface" in 680.26(C).
Neither would crushed stone, or grass, or mulch, or astro-turf! I just think the wooden deck might look the best!
You're right about that Dave, but where in 680.26(C)does it say you dont need a EBG if you dont have a "paved walking surface"?

To me this section needs clarification, as the whole thing seems to be written for in- ground swimming pools with hot tubs just being an afterthought.

jim sutton

680.42 says hot tubs must comply with Parts I and II of this article which includes article 680.26(C).

Could it be that 680.42(B) is saying that we dont have to go by 680.26(C)? (a stretch in my opinion)

I still havent seen a reasonable solution to installing a hot tub on an existing deck if we must install a EBG per 680.26(C)

There is a recent thread that did not come to any conclusions either.

[ September 11, 2005, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: jim sutton ]

normbac

provisions 1 & 2 is about the feed I have never heard of or been cited for a grid on a outdoor portable spa

Status
Not open for further replies.