How to use two 30 amp receptacles and get 50 amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The neutrals I was talking about are the premises wiring.
...but the premises wiring is not what makes the neutrals wired in parallel. Each neutral is terminated to one receptacle at the load end, so they are not wired in parallel by NEC definition AND scope.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The 50a socket has a single neutral contact. If both sides of the Y cord have the grounded conductor connected, then there is a parallel path in both the cord and the premises wiring.

If only one side of the Y cord have an intact grounded-conductor path, then there's no parallel, but the other side's line conductor does not have a close-by return-current conductor.

Added: It would resemble a trailer-lighting wiring harness which picks up ground and one turn-signal light from one side, and the taillight and other turn-signal light from the other side.

The closest audio-cable analogy would be a two-RCA-plug to stereo-phone-plug adapter. Each RCA has its own ground contact, but the phone plug has a single ground for both channels.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
...but the premises wiring is not what makes the neutrals wired in parallel. Each neutral is terminated to one receptacle at the load end, so they are not wired in parallel by NEC definition AND scope.

As soon as you plug the unit in the premises wiring is in parallel and in violation.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Okay, proof just popped into by brain:

Imagine wanting 120/240 from a pair of kitchen-counter receptacles, and you had an assortment of single-prong plugs to use.

If the receptacles are GFCI protected, then it won't work with either one or two grounded-slot plugs; the GFCI's would trip either way.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don how do you know the wiring methods between the panel and the buildings receptacle?
I am just assuming that both 30 amp receptacles are in the same pedestal. I don't think any single pedestal is fed with more than one feeder circuit as to do so would violate 225.30.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
As soon as you plug the unit in the premises wiring is in parallel and in violation.

I disagree. If it is approved by an NRTL it can be used in accordance to the instructions without violation.

They also have a larger one (YQ100Plus) that combines two 50 amp same 'phase' sources to supply power to a 100 amp receptacle. Check page 24 of this PDF. http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/press/PDFS/H5263.pdf

Note: The YQ100PLUS Adapter
must be plugged into two 50A,
125/250V AC receptacles that are
on the same phase to achieve 100
amp, 125/250 volts power -or- the
“A” leg 50A male into a single 50A,
125/250V AC receptacle to achieve
50 amp, 125/250 volts power.

iwire

Staff member
I disagree. If it is approved by an NRTL it can be used in accordance to the instructions without violation.

Can you show me that in the NEC?

Consider this, lets say the two outlets it is plugged into are from seperate transformers, that will result in current flow over the EGCs

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Interestingly I do not see any claim that it is listed.

http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/marine/pdf/YQAdapters.pdf

That's why I worded my post like I did.

I did take some time to try to find a listing, specifically a UL listing, but could not. That does not mean that it isn't listed.

I would ask that someone give a specific quote from the NEC that makes this device illegal, but that would not really be possible without actually having one to examine. Nomenclature meant for the sales department often times is far from representative of the true technical details of the product being described.

Sure, it makes me cringe to see such a product, but I don't think it prudent to base acceptability on ad script alone. I want to see one, look at the label and if I can't find a schematic and I have one to spare I will reverse engineer it before I decide if it is NEC compliant or not.

Sorry, but as much as this product gives me the creeps, I won't jump onto the 'it's illegal' bandwagon just yet, especially since I don't think Hubbell would make a product that would violate the NEC if actually used. To that extent, I would not want to be the inspector that gigged someone using the product which in the long run turned out to be legal. Hubbell would likely be a formidable and vengeful adversary in a court of law.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Can you show me that in the NEC?

Consider this, lets say the two outlets it is plugged into are from seperate transformers, that will result in current flow over the EGCs

Consider this, let's say someone at Hubbell being paid to design said product was smart enough to make the control electronics recognize the issue you state, above, in a manner to prevent it from turning on.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree it is possible the neutral conductors may conduct in parallel.

However, the NEC does not say they cannot conduct in parallel. It says 1/0 and larger "shall be permitted to be connected in parallel (electrically joined at both ends)." By logical deduction, that means smaller than 1/0 shall not be connected in parallel (electrically joined at both ends). The wiring under NEC purview is not electrically connected at both ends. There is no electrical joining at the load end of the NEC wiring. The NEC has no control of wiring or methods employed outside its purview.

Status
Not open for further replies.