Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
But does it go to 11?
Nope, it only goes up to +10db . . . from -96db. With 2200 watts continuous, who needs 11? :D

I'm actually suprised nobody took me to task for installing two relays and a contactor in a panel. :cool:

Open invite for anyone in, near, or visiting Richmond who wants to watch a movie or concert*: PM me.

Added: * Or just talk AV.

Last edited:

peter d

LarryFine said:
I'm actually suprised nobody took me to task for installing two relays and a contactor in a panel. :cool:

Ok, here you go then:

HOW DARE YOU!!! THE LISTING.....THE LISTING.......THE LAWYERS.........THE CHILDREN......THE ENDANGERED SPECIES!!!! .......etc etc

Is that better? :)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"Salvation lies within . . .

repent1.jpg

. . . the NEC!"

iwire

Staff member
peter d said:
Ok, here you go then:

HOW DARE YOU!!! THE LISTING.....THE LISTING.......THE LAWYERS.........THE CHILDREN......THE ENDANGERED SPECIES!!!! .......etc etc

Is that better? :)

I bet he did not even have an engineer approve it. :D

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
I bet he did not even have an engineer approve it. :D
Sure, I did. He said "Putting relays in a panel is okay?"

And I said "Thanks!"

"I shot the clerk?" ~ Rapph Machio as Bill Gambini in My cousin Vinny

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
LarryFine said:
Sure, I did. Three of my friends have seen it.

All three of them.

I for one don't believe it. (that you have three freinds):D

Roger

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
SQ D QO's for me.

The inspectors around here refer to GE's as 'arc welders'.

No CH's for me, either.

One of the inspectors in my area carries a knife with him that he managed to short a circuit out with. He was less than 20 feet from the 15A CH breaker feeding the receptacle and managed to burn 1/2 inch off the end of his knife and the breaker never tripped.

We were on a re-mod one day and I engaged a 15A CH breaker and the lights in the basement dimmed almost all the way out. I turned off the breaker and they came back on. After checking what I could see in the panel I asked the boss man to grab his amp clamp and check the conductor coming from the breaker for me. I turned it on, the lights dimmed out and he said '115.7'. I laughed and said 'Amps, not volts!'. He said 'That was amps!' We found a dead short in an outside light. The breaker set and held over 115 amps without tripping.

I saw an apprentice once let a #12 ground wire slip out of his hand and it hit the buss bar on a 200A SQ D Homeline panel. The sparks flew and the 200A main tripped almost instantaneously with only a little dot of burn mark on the buss and a tiny ball of melted copper on the wire. He managed to do it twice that day and scared the tar out of himself and the carpenters working near him.

Please note that I was an apprentice also at the time and he was a year ahead of me so I had no authority to tell him to get out of the panel.

I do pity his wife though. She had to do his laundry.

bradleyelectric

mtec said:
I use cutler hammer. I know that the L&HD stores carry some panels cheaper I still buy from my suply house. $40 to $60 G's a year carrys some respect at a supply house. at the big store. the teeny bopper behind the desk dosen't care if you spent $500,000 last year "no receipt you must take a gift card for your return". I'm for top service not bottom dollar. My time is worth more than $20 a panel

Just as a note in case you buy hardware at the big boxes. You don't have to have your reciept with you if you tell them you put it on your commercial account and give them your card. They can just scan your card and find the purchase and credit your account. That's how I do it around here at least.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
mdshunk said:
Busman actually makes a fuse panel that would work pretty well in a house. Square D makes a popular QMB panelboard, which features fuseholders, if you really wanted to get wacky. It looks sorta like an MCC.

When did I start making panels? I thought it was Cooper Bussmann?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.