If it were your house...Panel Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I hear that SqD's Homeline have the same guts as the QO's, and likewise C-H's BR line and the CH-CH's.

In fact, I heard it here.

mdshunk

LarryFine said:
I hear that SqD's Homeline have the same guts as the QO's, and likewise C-H's BR line and the CH-CH's.

In fact, I heard it here.
I drilled some apart some time back. It certainly appears to be true to my eye. The HOM and BR breaker-to-bus connection is inferior to their QO and CH counterparts, without a doubt. That's my whole beef with some panels. I could care less what's on the inside. I want a rock-solid breaker to bus connection. That's why I liked PushMatic so much. I put 1/2 size GE's at the absolute bottom of the barrel in that regard.

Last edited:

guitarchris

mdshunk said:
I drilled some apart some time back. It certainly appears to be true to my eye. The HOM and BR breaker-to-bus connection is inferior to their QO and CH counterparts, without a doubt. That's my whole beef with some panels. I could care less what's on the inside. I want a rock-solid breaker to bus connection. That's why I liked PushMatic so much. I put 1/2 size GE's at the absolute bottom of the barrel in that regard.

amen brother! I'm CH all the way. I don't care for SQD's use of plastic parts in the panel. ITE stye stab in breakers (which BR and HOM are) keep us busy with service changes.

Thank You!

Thank You!

dduffee260 said:
I like Federal Pacific, that way you never get called back for nuisance tripping on the breakers. Just make sure your insurance is up to date.

Awesome... I'll just wait a year after you install them, and then I'll sell them another panel telling them it's a fire hazard... you can keep me busy!

Did someone say retro???

Did someone say retro???

buckofdurham said:
I think some other brands have retro fits now.
Cutler Hammer has a nice retrofit series that accomodate the FPE panels. They cost more, but save time...

And yes, it does seem that Cutler Hammer panels cost less at the Blue store than it does at my supply house... I've only done $20k business with them this year, and that probably doesn't enable me to have ANY cut...

Square D is my hero...

Square D is my hero...

QO all the way! (Of course, it's what I have in the house now!)
Commercial grade breaker in a residential panel... easy trip identifier... just a good breaker that has been around for 30 years, and is still being installed to this day.

SWP54

You need to check out the features and base it on you preferences. Make sure they have copper busses. And make sure you have plenty of spaces. The two I think are best are Cutler Hammer, and Square D's QO. Don't get Square D's Homeline. Square D is made in Mexico now. I'm not sure if they produce anything in the U.S. now, at least for residential. And the last I heard, Cutler Hammer is still made in the U.S. Go to their web sites and check out their features. Cutler Hammer has a real nice web site. Check out their "Learning 101 Tutorial."

r_merc

GE

GE

I have Installed SQ D, Siemens, and GE. and I install mostly GE so I seem to be in the minority here. Never had any call backs or reports of failures. I like the Copper bus and the design features of the panel itself. I just dont like how the SQD and Siemens panels are arranged. Definately not a fan of CH BR & Homeline.

e57

CHBO, or QOB - do I have one now - no.... Still plug ins untill I have money and time - who knows when that'll happen at the same time.... :roll:

frank_n

I just put in Square D QO in my parents house last week. When I do a quote, I give a price for Cutler Hammer BR, then an upgrade price for Square D QO. I market QO as the Cadillac of panels. Most customers, go for the upgrade.

I work for a GC who insists on the Homeline panels. He likes the Square D name (without the QO price) and likes the fact that you can get breakers at the Home Depot.

I can buy Cutler Hammer BR panels cheaper from my supplier than I can buy Homeline at the HD. My Square D supply is nowhere near HD prices.

In my opinion, the breakers in the Homeline panels fit better than the BR breakers. The BR panels are about $25 less than a Homeline panel and I prefer to shop at my supplier than the Home Depot.

I believe all Homeline Panels are aluminum bus, but some BR panels are copper bus. On my next service, I might price Cutler Hammer CH because they are all copper bus and less expensive than QO.

Status
Not open for further replies.