is there a limit on how far a house can be from it's service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
In the 2011 it is 310.106(C)

Smart$ maintains that 250.118 allows larger solid EGCs in raceways but I do not agree with him.

I just read 250.118 and I see no special allowance for larger solid conductors in a raceway either.

This allows him:
250.118 Types of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
This conductor shall be solid or stranded;

Everywhere except:

310.106 Conductors.
(C) Stranded Conductors. Where installed in raceways,
conductors 8 AWG and larger, not specifically permitted or
required elsewhere in this Code to be solid, shall be
stranded.

The or is the key here. If it said 'can be'. He would be correct.

kwired

Electron manager
I just read 250.118 and I see no special allowance for larger solid conductors in a raceway either.

This allows him:

Everywhere except:

310.106 Conductors.
stranded.

The or is the key here. If it said 'can be'. He would be correct.

:?:?

I have no idea what you are getting at.

In order to be 8AWG or larger and solid (and installed in a raceway) it says it must be specifically permitted or required elsewhere. To me that means the general rule is it must be stranded unless a specific application covered by another code section permits it for that application. There must be at least one place where this does differ from the general rule, but I am not aware of where that is.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
:?:?

I have no idea what you are getting at.

In order to be 8AWG or larger and solid (and installed in a raceway) it says it must be specifically permitted or required elsewhere. To me that means the general rule is it must be stranded unless a specific application covered by another code section permits it for that application. There must be at least one place where this does differ from the general rule, but I am not aware of where that is.

310.106(C) is the specific.

We agree.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
GD found it, I couldn't find it earlier today and had to leave, but I knew it was in there somewhere. It is a general rule or all conductors in raceways, but the use of 6 solid bare for an EGC is where I see it violated the most. I think mostly because guys already have 6 solidbare for use with ground rods and don't want to purchase 6 green. If a larger EGC is needed they don't need green they can mark it green. I usually see it from pump panel to irrigation well motors when 6 AWG EGC is required, so length is usually 10 feet or less still a code violation - inspectors must not know or don't care is all I can figure. I always run a green stranded conductor.

I parsed your statement differently than you intended, it appears. You didn't mention raceways, only EGC's, which I interpreted to mean EGC's in general. My bad.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
:?310.106(C) is the general rule not a specifically allowed exception to the general rule.

General rule:

Specific rule:
310.106 Conductors.
stranded

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
General rule:

Specific rule:
310.106 Conductors.
stranded
By my way of thinking an EGC is specific. Conductors is the general term. Either way both sections you quoted have the phrase "shall be" in them.

Anybody that wants to pull a #6 or bigger solid EGC in pipe is welcome to in my opinion. I'd rather save my self the hassle.

kwired

Electron manager
General rule:

Specific rule:
310.106 Conductors.
stranded
I agree with Dave - 310.106 would be the general rule for all conductors, 250.118 - would be a situation specifically permitted elsewhere, and probably would allow the 6 AWG solid EGC I otherwise have been condemning.

bullheimer

thanks guys. i personally hate solid wire for anything except if i had conduit runs with lots of 20A recepts, just because i hate crimping even more than pulling solid. i dont use it for ground rods either.

that house was spozed to have been inspected today but he never showed.

kwired

Electron manager
thanks guys. i personally hate solid wire for anything except if i had conduit runs with lots of 20A recepts, just because i hate crimping even more than pulling solid. i dont use it for ground rods either.

that house was spozed to have been inspected today but he never showed.
I'm kind of that way with stranded conductors as well, but still want stranded for the receptacle circuit - use receptacles with back wire feature instead of crimps or dealing with wrapping terminals with standed. Extra price on the recep is worth the time saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.