Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Must a table be movable to be a table?

noun
  1. 1.
    a piece of furniture with a flat top and one or more legs, providing a level surface on which objects may be placed, and that can be used for such purposes as eating, writing, working, or playing games.

kwired

Electron manager
Must a table be movable to be a table?

noun
  1. 1.
    a piece of furniture with a flat top and one or more legs, providing a level surface on which objects may be placed, and that can be used for such purposes as eating, writing, working, or playing games.
Probably not, but it becomes portable whether you call it a table or a counter. AFAIK the conventional counter could possibly be a table as well.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
That would be nice to be able to do. "You two let me know when you come up with a solution acceptable to both of you."

Well, to be honest I was a little surprised he allowed it. This inspector (who is also the county building official) has always been rigidly by-the-book. I’ve known both him and the homeowner my entire professional career. The homeowner is a retired utility contractor, and sat on the building authority board for 20+ years. I’ve wired maybe a dozen homes for him, most of them high-end luxury homes, and everything he does is way above what building codes require. That probably played into the EI’s decision some. It was more or less a favor between old friends. Yeh he’ll do something weird like an island with no cabinets, but he’ll also spend $30k on a door. This is probably the 4th or 5th house I’ve wired now that he swears will be his last. He is without a doubt my best residential customer, and a friend, so I’ve always done my best to meet whatever odd request he has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Well, to be honest I was a little surprised he allowed it. This inspector (who is also the county building official) has always been rigidly by-the-book. I’ve known both him and the homeowner my entire professional career. The homeowner is a retired utility contractor, and sat on the building authority board for 20+ years. I’ve wired maybe a dozen homes for him, most of them high-end luxury homes, and everything he does is way above what building codes require. That probably played into the EI’s decision some. It was more or less a favor between old friends. Yeh he’ll do something weird like an island with no cabinets, but he’ll also spend $30k on a door. This is probably the 4th or 5th house I’ve wired now that he swears will be his last. He is without a doubt my best residential customer, and a friend, so I’ve always done my best to meet whatever odd request he has.

There is your answer, reciprocates.

The plug on the floor will be fine under the (not)island until the new owner tries to make his daiquiri and the blender cord won't reach.

macmikeman

This thread reminds me of the newest fashion trend in kitchens I twice now have bumped into. They are calling them "waterfalls". They have nothing to do with water. At the end of a peninsula , there is around a two or three foot open gap under the countertop, which drops from the horizontal to a vertical end and is covered with the same stuff as the countertop, meaning granite or what have you. No good way to put an outlet on the vertical end piece without the backside wiring showing. And frankly in my humble opinion they look pretty stupid . But...........
but the people that wan't them really want them cause they are so trendy..........

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Yep like this. Just another example of how style, manufactures, and the NEC all collide and the EC is the one who has to make it all work. Perhaps plug-mold the bottom under edge? Of course you could put an outlet in the side but I am sure the owners don't want that in their fancy waterfall edge.
1623091619261.png

Attachments

• 1623091093088.png
    1623091093088.png
    932.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
This thread reminds me of the newest fashion trend in kitchens I twice now have bumped into. They are calling them "waterfalls". ..........

Waterfall has been around for a little bit now. The solution there is to put a Sillite receptacle in the face of the cabinet stile.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ruins the aesthetic . I mean you can, but no one wants that .
I get the aesthetic part but we install them there all of the time. Just finished up an apartment complex where we must have installed over a thousand of them because the other options weren't much better.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I get the aesthetic part but we install them there all of the time. Just finished up an apartment complex where we must have installed over a thousand of them because the other options weren't much better.
Apartments are a lot different than a custom home where you have to deal w/ She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I would like to call it a table but since it's fixed I wouldn't let it fly without a receptacle and a floor box would be NG with me. But I am not an inspector

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It looks to me like a receptacle on the far end of the island would satisfy code which would be facing that short wall between a hall opening and living room opening. A black sillite receptacle will do just fine there.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
This is an example where the code just does not make sense and is poorly thought out or overly vague. The counter in the above pic is probably 80 % of the counter top space in that "kitchen". Since its an island we could install 2 receptacles, one one on each end and it would be ok. So there would be one on each side of the stove and 2 in the island for a total of 4 in the whole kitchen.

In another kitchen we could have 8-10 on the wall-counters and then have a "table" like island with no cabinet base and the code would force us to get creative to install at least one receptacle in the table like island ?

Why does the code require an island receptacle in ALL situations? Answer - to minimize cords and the hazard of pulling appliances off the counter. Ok makes sense I agree, BUT Why would it be ok to just install 2 receptacle in a 10- or 15 foot island that make sup 80% of the counter space in the kitchen? We have 2 foot and 4 foot spacing on the other counters spaces? At what point does the code view an island as being important? If an island needs at least one recep, why not maintain the standard spacing of 2 and 4? Do they view the island of less of a work space? If so why force a recp in an island that has no base cabinets?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
May this homeowner throw lots of parties and be blessed with many friends and relatives who bring food in Crockpots and other electric appliances. -- New Proverb :) :devilish: :p

There is a large outdoor kitchen and entertaining space for that. There’s also a lot of indoor countertop space with plenty of quad receps.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have a re-purposed table in the middle of my kitchen that, if bolted to the floor, could be considered an island. It's where the pizza lands when it comes out of the oven. Not once in the 10 years I have had it have I needed a receptacle there for food preparation.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have a re-purposed table in the middle of my kitchen that, if bolted to the floor, could be considered an island. It's where the pizza lands when it comes out of the oven. Not once in the 10 years I have had it have I needed a receptacle there for food preparation.
The previous owners of our house renovated the kitchen at some point, I believe after 2000 but before 2006 when we moved in. They did not have a receptacle installed for the island, which is about 30" x 72". We have never needed one, nor said "You know, it would be nice if we had electricity for this island counter."

Status
Not open for further replies.