Island recep; no base cabinets. Just four posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

Ok , two questions. #1- How many years have they been running the countertop material over the side like that? I've seen it done twice now this year out of 46 years on the job without seeing that done or hearing of a "waterfall" in the kitchen.

#2- Waterfall? How does this get named a "waterfall"? That sounds so trendy......

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Ok , two questions. #1- How many years have they been running the countertop material over the side like that? I've seen it done twice now this year out of 46 years on the job without seeing that done or hearing of a "waterfall" in the kitchen.

#2- Waterfall? How does this get named a "waterfall"? That sounds so trendy......
Someone had extra material so they just extended it down over the side.
First time a glass of water was spilled it ran over the edge and made a waterfall.
Next question!

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research

Plus if you put a small lip around all the edges, a faucet at one end and a drain on the floor at the other end, then the _entire surface_ can be the sink with no countertop space requiring a receptacle.

Sell it as a hose down dining area...or autopsy table. Does the NEC require receptacles for autopsy tables? I think not....

-Jon

Jeff Ross

New User
Occupation
Electrician/Local AHJ
Working on a residential project where I provided two conduits under the slab to kitchen island space; one extends to the panel, the other up a wall to the attic for a switch leg.

The owner decided to not have cabinets, but rather four corner posts with a slab of granite on top. I discussed implications of 210.52 and the fact that there are no exceptions. Owner was adamant he did not want a receptacle at the island.

I asked if he could install the island after final, the answer was no. The posts are attached directly to the concrete slab via a bracket and needed to be installed before flooring.

I discussed with the inspector, and he allowed me the option of a floor box. Today we cut the slab out and installed a PVC floor box connecting both conduits.

It seems to me the only code-allowed installation would have been to route the conduit to one of the posts (it came up about 12” from the nearest post) and extend up the post to a surface mounted box to be within 12” of the countertop. Aesthetically this would not have looked good.

The floor box is done and it will pass, but I’m curious what other opinions are specifically for this type of island? Do you think this should be addressed in the code specifically to state it must be mounted on a post, or that an exception should be made that allows a floor box, or some other solution? I feel like the answer is that you run the conduit up the post, and if the HO doesn’t want to see it, construct the post in a way it can be wrapped and hidden, and build the other posts to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As an inspector (as I am), you have the right and responsibility to interpret code as you see fit. Also, inspectors are homeowners and I wonder how one would feel about his personal residence if this were him. It would be ridiculous to require an outlet here

Status
Not open for further replies.