Kitchen counter outlets (receptacles) on a switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree...I don't see any language that would prohibit switching the countertop receptacles.

The receptacles can be switched but the small appliance branch circuit receptacles cannot be switched. You can add a switched receptacle as long as you satisfy 210.52 requirements first

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hmm. Let's look:

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle
outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:

(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required. Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).
(A) Dwelling Units. In dwelling units, lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3).
(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.
Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.

Okay, required receptacles are in addition to any controlled by a switch according to the exception, which says the main kitchen lights can not be supplied by a receptacle. No argument there; it seems the exception does not apply to kitchens.

So, can there be a switched receptacle in a kitchen that is NOT controlled in accordance with the exception? Since the exception excludes kitchens, it doesn't apply. So, a switched receptacle for other than lighting is not prohibited. That's my take.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
The receptacles can be switched but the small appliance branch circuit receptacles cannot be switched. You can add a switched receptacle as long as you satisfy 210.52 requirements first
I don't see any language that says you cannot switch the small appliance branch circuit receptacles.

Maybe that is what the cmp intends, but the language doesn't say that.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How about a 2p switch?
You got me there Larry. I forgot about that.

It it is marked for 2 circuit operation, that is fine (assuming you are permitted to switch these receptacles). The UL Guide Information for Snap Switches (WJQR) says this:
Oops. I didn't know this. About a year back I used six two-pole switches to control 12 lighting circuits in a store. They were using non-switch-rated circuit breakers to control the lights and wore a couple of them out. I had to replace all twelve circuit breakers as well.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't see any language that says you cannot switch the small appliance branch circuit receptacles.

Maybe that is what the cmp intends, but the language doesn't say that.

If SABC can be switched why add an exception that would allow adding another circuit into the space and those receptacles can be switched?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
As I read it, there is a requirement that all receptacles in a kitchen be SABCs. There is an exception to this requirement, permitting a switched general purpose receptacle. So you can't have an unswitched _general purpose_ receptacle in a kitchen. But this doesn't say anything about switching of the SABC receptacles.

IMHO SABC receptacles may be switched, and in fact commonly are switched. The SABCs in my kitchen are switched, along with every single other circuit in my home. The switches also function as the required overcurrent protection for the circuits, but then again I am a DIY hack.

As far as why someone might want to do this, presumably it adds some measure of safety. I recently purchased an 'air fryer' and the instructions specifically state " UNPLUG FROM OUTLET WHEN NOT IN USE AND BEFORE CLEANING. Allow to cool before cleaning or handling, putting on or taking off parts. " https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/C1XPryhvcuS.pdf which given that the plug is behind the unit is rather annoying. I'm considering a switched outlet as an alternative to simply ignoring the instructions.

-Jon

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
If SABC can be switched why add an exception that would allow adding another circuit into the space and those receptacles can be switched?

The rule is that all of the receptacles in the area (kitchen/dining/pantry, etc.) shall be on the small appliance branch circuits. The exception permits a receptacle to be on a general purpose circuit in the area if it is a switched lighting circuit receptacle.

The exception isn't to allow a switch, the exception is to allow the receptacle to be on a circuit which isn't a small appliance branch circuit.

mwm1752

My reading of 210.52(B) would indicate that the 2 required 20A SABC would have to be unswitched given the exception #1 specifically allows for the addition of switched receptacle(s) from a general purpose branch circuit.
I agree - appliance circuits cannot be switched
210.52(B) Small Appliances.
210.52(B)(1) Receptacle Outlets Served.
Exception No. 1: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a general-purpose 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit as required in 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, shall be permitted.

mwm1752

As I read it, there is a requirement that all receptacles in a kitchen be SABCs. There is an exception to this requirement, permitting a switched general purpose receptacle. So you can't have an unswitched _general purpose_ receptacle in a kitchen. But this doesn't say anything about switching of the SABC receptacles.

IMHO SABC receptacles may be switched, and in fact commonly are switched. The SABCs in my kitchen are switched, along with every single other circuit in my home. The switches also function as the required overcurrent protection for the circuits, but then again I am a DIY hack.

As far as why someone might want to do this, presumably it adds some measure of safety. I recently purchased an 'air fryer' and the instructions specifically state " UNPLUG FROM OUTLET WHEN NOT IN USE AND BEFORE CLEANING. Allow to cool before cleaning or handling, putting on or taking off parts. " https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/C1XPryhvcuS.pdf which given that the plug is behind the unit is rather annoying. I'm considering a switched outlet as an alternative to simply ignoring the instructions.

-Jon
Terminology is everything if you read it correctly

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I agree - appliance circuits cannot be switched
210.52(B) Small Appliances.
210.52(B)(1) Receptacle Outlets Served.
Exception No. 1: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a general-purpose 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit as required in 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, shall be permitted.
210.70(A) (1) has nothing to do with the kitchen.
exception 1 even says “In other than kitchens and bathrooms”
That’s a lighting article
Still not proof they cannot be switched.

Status
Not open for further replies.