Looking for Simple Security System

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I am wiring a new house and the owner wants a simple security system. I already plan to install a camera and dvd system that will be accessible from a mobile phone. He will receive notification when the cameras detect motion. At that point he can look at the different camera images to see what is going on on his property. Of course this will do nothing to scare away a burglar.

He wants to be able to set the alarm and either go to sleep or go out of town for a while without worrying about thieves taking his stuff. He has no interest in a system that connects to a monitoring service like ADT. He just wants a loud alarm to go off inside and outside the house. It would also be beneficial if he could get notification on his mobile phone that the Alarm is going off.

Does anybody make a system that would meet these requirements? It would be even better if the system incorporated the camera/recorder system but I'm guessing that is wishful thinking?

JFletcher

I am wiring a new house and the owner wants a simple security system. I already plan to install a camera and dvd system that will be accessible from a mobile phone. He will receive notification when the cameras detect motion. At that point he can look at the different camera images to see what is going on on his property. Of course this will do nothing to scare away a burglar.

He wants to be able to set the alarm and either go to sleep or go out of town for a while without worrying about thieves taking his stuff. He has no interest in a system that connects to a monitoring service like ADT. He just wants a loud alarm to go off inside and outside the house. It would also be beneficial if he could get notification on his mobile phone that the Alarm is going off.

Does anybody make a system that would meet these requirements? It would be even better if the system incorporated the camera/recorder system but I'm guessing that is wishful thinking?

This system looks like it will do what you want.

You can also get ptz (point,tilt,zoom) cameras that can be remote accessed thru a laptop ur perhaps a smartphone.

mgookin

I doubt his neighbors want that siren going off until he gets back in town.
Remote off or remote reset?
Neighbor with a key and knowledge of the system?
Ademco makes real good stuff. I haven't looked at their products in a decade.

mkgrady

I doubt his neighbors want that siren going off until he gets back in town.
Remote off or remote reset?
Neighbor with a key and knowledge of the system?
Ademco makes real good stuff. I haven't looked at their products in a decade.

It seems like Ademco systems need to be connected to a monitoring service?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

No, their Vista series can be with or without. IIRC you can do access control with them as well, but that may be getting into dollars the HO isn't willing to spend. There is a siren output on the panel and I'm sure you can set up a relay to pull in a contactor for some internal and/or external lights or seize control of the lighting control package, if there is one.

MAK

DSC makes some good and very easily programmed alarm systems. Their newest line up is the NEO panel. Easy to program. Wireless support is pretty good. It operates in the 900 mhz range.
Ademco is a good choice as well.

mgookin

20 years ago you could program Ademco to call your phone (cell, office, both, etc.).
FYI: Tyco buys Ademco products and puts their logo on them. Open up an ADT panel and see what it says on the PCB. They also buy Simplex.

dakeeper

You didn't mention wired or wireless. X10 makes a simple wireless system for a reasonable cost. I have installed these on garages and homes and has a simple phone interface if needed. The nice thing about garage installs is you can remote sirens or chimes or lights to go off in the house. Great for a detached garage or shed with electric.

Besoeker

I am wiring a new house and the owner wants a simple security system.
We have one. It's called a dog!

IMG_1917_zpssy8ys0rw.jpg

mgookin

I just looked. Honeywell bought Ademco.
Decades ago you could get the box, dialers, contacts, motion sensors, etc. and program it all yourself. Not now though.

I don't understand why he's adverse to having a monitoring company but that's none of my business. Maybe he just doesn't want anyone else to know when he's coming and going or what he's doing.

There are plenty of security systems on the market but I don't know which ones are credible and which ones are junk.
Try calling some local alarm guys who offer monitoring and ask them to design you a system which he monitors himself. They know what equipment is good and what's junk. Pay the guy $100 for the design or consult and bill it to the client.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There are a bunch of do-it-yourself type alarm systems as you are describing. Can buy remote view video cameras at Walmart or eBay or Amazon. I would just go to Amazon and type in alarm system you will get a bunch of hits.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
20 years ago you could program Ademco to call your phone (cell, office, both, etc.).
FYI: Tyco buys Ademco products and puts their logo on them. Open up an ADT panel and see what it says on the PCB. They also buy Simplex.
The ademco panels I installed are made by Honeywell...

In Seattle there is a security store called 24/7 that sells all types of alarm systems.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

They are Simplex. You won't be able to program an ADT panel using Ademco software.

Status
Not open for further replies.