Main panel grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone please tell me what article and section allows neutrals and grounds of branch circuits being installed together in main panel, and seperated in sub-panels?

Volta

It is not so much that the grounded (usually a neutral) and the grounding conductors are allowed together in a main panel, as that is the point that we derive the grounding from the grounded. They should not be reconnected on the load side of that disconnect.

Article 250 is the place to start for grounding questions. Check 250.24 in general, and sub-section (A)(5) and (C), to begin.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't think so. Am I missing something?

Rob, Smart is correct, the grounded conductor doesn't exist until the system grounding (earthing) is done, so "grounded" is derived from "grounding".

However, I think the topic is "bonding" :)

Roger

Volta

Rob, Smart is correct, the grounded conductor doesn't exist until the system grounding (earthing) is done, so "grounded" is derived from "grounding".

However, I think the topic is "bonding" :)

Roger

Actually the grounded conductor is brought to the service disconnecting means from the utility. It is already grounded/earthed at the source (unless the copper was stolen for scrap :grin:).

The premises system grounding conductors are bonded to the grounded. So we don't have to say derived, but grounded comes first.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Actually the grounded conductor is brought to the service disconnecting means from the utility. It is already grounded/earthed at the source (unless the copper was stolen for scrap :grin:).

The premises system grounding conductors are bonded to the grounded. So we don't have to say derived, but grounded comes first.

No, we may not even be talking about a POCO service, (even though the term Main Panel is used) we could be talking about an SDS or a corner grounded Delta. The grounded conductor doesn't exist to us until we as the installers earth it, what is upstream of the service point is unknown to us.

Roger

Volta

No, we may not even be talking about a POCO service, (even though the term Main Panel is used) we could be talking about an SDS or a corner grounded Delta. The grounded conductor doesn't exist to us until we as the installers earth it, what is upstream of the service point is unknown to us.

Roger

It is true that the OP may have been referring to an SDS. But probably wasn't. You even proposed the possibility of a "corner grounded Delta". Still has a conductor grounded at the source. We won't attach the three phase legs blindly at the service point, but rather the building "white" will be connected to the source's grounded phase leg, which for a grounded service, must be brought to the service disconnect. 250.24(C).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You even proposed the possibility of a "corner grounded Delta". Still has a conductor grounded at the source.
It doesn't have a grounded conductor until we earth it.

We won't attach the three phase legs blindly at the service point, but rather the building "white" will be connected to the source's grounded phase leg,
No, we attach to the sources center tap, and even though we know that it is the grounded conductor from the POCO, our side (the NEC side) is where we have to look and establish it for our purposes.

of which for a grounded service, must be brought to the service disconnect. 250.24(C).
Which can only happen after we have earthed a conductor to establish it as a grounded conductror.

Roger

Volta

It doesn't have a grounded conductor until we earth it.
On occasion, I suppose, but usually the secondary is earthed at the pole (for O/H distribution).
No, we attach to the sources center tap, and even though we know that it is the grounded conductor from the POCO, our side (the NEC side) is where we have to look and establish it for our purposes.
Not the center tap for a corner ground, but a phase leg.
Which can only happen after we have earthed a conductor to establish it as a grounded conductror.

Roger

We better pick the right one :).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We better pick the right one :).

Why would it matter electrically? Just pick one and earth it, then mark it as the grounded conductor

Roger

Last edited:

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I'd tend to side with Volta, that the utility service includes a grounded conductor, rather than the idea that the utility service comes with a bunch of conductors, and that none of them are grounded until we make the bond.

If there is only a single bond between a system conductor and earth, then electrically it makes no difference which system conductor gets grounded. But on the utility side of the service disconnect (under NESC rules), multiple bonds are permitted and expected. It is expected that one conductor will be grounded at the supply transformer, and that each customer will further make bonds to earth. If one customer bonds one conductor, and another customer bonds a different conductor, then I would expect difficulties.

-Jon

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Jon, the point being made is that we have to install a GES and bond a conductor to this GES, we do not have a grounded conductor as far as our side and the NEC is concerned until we do this, then we install the Main Bonding Jumper to the equipment for the EGC to be created.

Now going back to the corner grounded delta, it has always been my experience that we are supplied with an ungrounded delta (unless we are getting a center grounded system) and we establish the grounded conductor when we earth a particular phase conductor.

I am not aware of any multi grounded deltas supplied by any POCO, do you know of any?

Roger

Volta

I am not aware of any multi grounded deltas supplied by any POCO, do you know of any?
Roger

I can only think of a couple of corner grounded systems I've worked on, and truly don't know at this point what was done at the POCO source, but I think I'd be able to see. I'll try to look in the next few days.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'd tend to side with Volta, that the utility service includes a grounded conductor, rather than the idea that the utility service comes with a bunch of conductors, and that none of them are grounded until we make the bond.
While that may be true, if we are going to include the utility service, then we must also include how it affects the issue... we can't just say one of the conductors is grounded and therefore it came first... because it didn't in reality; it is grounded as a result of of earth grounding at the source end. The grounded conductor can be first only if we choose to blind ourselves to the reality.

AFAIK, transmission lines have no grounded conductor. So any grounded conductor on the customer side of transmission lines is a result of earth grounding.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Could someone please tell me what article and section allows neutrals and grounds of branch circuits being installed together in main panel, and seperated in sub-panels?

How about we start with 250.24(A)(5) and 250.30(A).

Getting back to the original discussion, it is technically a violation (IMO :roll:) to land EGC's on the Neutral bars of the main panel. However, you will not find this violation explicitly written in the Code. It is only through deductive reasoning I can surmise it to be a violation. In contemplating my assertion, consider this: As a result of the requirements for an MBJ/SBJ, all ground fault currents must pass through the MBJ/SBJ. When EGC's are landed on the Neutral bar of the main panel, ground fault currents on those EGC's do not pass through the MBJ/SBJ.

Volta

While that may be true, if we are going to include the utility service, then we must also include how it affects the issue... we can't just say one of the conductors is grounded and therefore it came first... because it didn't in reality; it is grounded as a result of of earth grounding at the source end. The grounded conductor can be first only if we choose to blind ourselves to the reality.
Agreed. By calling the grounded conductor first, I am solely speaking of the premises system. When the OP wrote "neutrals" and "grounds", I assumed, safely I think, that Grounded and Equipment Grounding Conductors were the subjects of discussion.

Of course you are right to say the the Grounding Electrode Conductor must be 'first' when compared to the 'neutral', whether at the distribution source or the service, but that comparison was not being made.

AFAIK, transmission lines have no grounded conductor.
Maybe, but not neccessarily so with distribution.
So any grounded conductor on the customer side of transmission lines is a result of earth grounding.
Either side, of course.

Getting back to the original discussion, it is technically a violation (IMO :roll:) to land EGC's on the Neutral bars of the main panel. However, you will not find this violation explicitly written in the Code. It is only through deductive reasoning I can surmise it to be a violation. In contemplating my assertion, consider this: As a result of the requirements for an MBJ/SBJ, all ground fault currents must pass through the MBJ/SBJ. When EGC's are landed on the Neutral bar of the main panel, ground fault currents on those EGC's do not pass through the MBJ/SBJ.
Hmmm. In 250.28(A), can the grounded conductor terminal strip be considered "similar suitable conductor" to a bus? I that think between Art. 100 definition of MBJ (for the EGCs) and the installation direction of 250.24(C) (for the disconnect enclosure) some rewording is due. I'll have to think about that one. :) If you are right, we need a lot more EGC bars in this world!

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Hmmm. In 250.28(A), can the grounded conductor terminal strip be considered "similar suitable conductor" to a bus? I that think between Art. 100 definition of MBJ (for the EGCs) and the installation direction of 250.24(C) (for the disconnect enclosure) some rewording is due. I'll have to think about that one. :) If you are right, we need a lot more EGC bars in this world!
We need only to go to...

250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-
Current Systems.
(B) Main Bonding Jumper.
For a grounded system, an
unspliced main bonding jumper shall be used to connect the

equipment grounding conductor(s) and the servicedisconnect
enclosure to the grounded conductor within the
enclosure for each service disconnect in accordance with

...or...

250.30 Grounding Separately Derived Alternating-Current Systems.
(A) Grounded Systems.
A separately derived ac system
that is grounded shall comply with 250.30(A)(1) through
(A)(8). Except as otherwise permitted in this article, a
grounded conductor
shall not be connected to normally
non-current-carrying metal parts of equipment, to equip-
ment grounding conductors
, or be reconnected to ground on
the load side of the point of grounding of a separately
derived system.

Status