mobile home & ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I disagree there is no language in this section that says that the well for instance has to be feed from the local disconnect it say additional equipment can be supplied from the service or the local disconnect. You may believe the intent is that the additional equipment must be supplied from the local disconnect but that is not what it says.

In addition from a safty point what difference would it make where the well is feed from, Take a normal single family dwelling what difference would it make if the well was feed from the dwelling or the garage.
Never the less the rule says the equipment must be provide for in the local disconnect or the service. It does not state anywhere that the additional equipment must be supplied from the equipment local to the mobile home.
Let's try a different approach. There are only two scenarios for supplying power: 1) local service equipment or 2) remote service equipment with local disconnect. In scenario 1, the accessories must be fed from the local service equipment. In scenario 2, the accessories must be fed from the local disconnect.

I know literal interpretation includes scenario 2 accessories being fed from either the remote service equipment or the local disconnect, but I do not believe that is the intent... and I gather that from a safety standpoint. Consider the reason for the local disconnect in the first place, then consider the reason multiple service disconnects must be grouped in "normal" installations.

david

Let's try a different approach. There are only two scenarios for supplying power: 1) local service equipment or 2) remote service equipment with local disconnect. In scenario 1, the accessories must be fed from the local service equipment. In scenario 2, the accessories must be fed from the local disconnect.

I know literal interpretation includes scenario 2 accessories being fed from either the remote service equipment or the local disconnect, but I do not believe that is the intent... and I gather that from a safety standpoint. Consider the reason for the local disconnect in the first place, then consider the reason multiple service disconnects must be grouped in "normal" installations.

I agree when the code doesn?t mandate something it becomes a design choice and I would and have always installed the provision for the additional equipment at the local disconnect.. If the service for the mobile home was attached to the accessory building (garage) the service equipment would also serve as the distribution panel for the garage. I would by design provide a disconnecting means for such things as Heat pumps or site lighting at the local disconnect for the Mobile home (a better design choice).

As for this thread I also believe the existence of a ground rod connected to the mobile home distribution panel when supplied by a feeder assembly is a design choice I will let others argue over weather it is a better design choice or not.

I haven?t the skill to add anything more constructive to this debate it has been interesting. More so on how everyone perceives how the code must conform to a very specific style. I been around for awhile but a lot of the residential electrical inspectors in this state look to the ICC residential building code, I am glad that the ICC and NFPA are both referencing the National Electrical Code. It may steal have its problems and under very close scrutiny these may be magnified but I appreciate the dedication of the men and woman who put so much effort into this process

Last edited:
This thread has made me laugh more than once.....a great example of minds over thinking the obvious. I just had a long conversation with someone rather high up in a certain association which I won't name....lol....and I directed them to this thread and boy they had a good laugh. Fact is....no grounding electrodes are required at the mobile home trailer....it was not the intent....and it would be pointless since it is established at the service enclosure at the pole location and Article 550 modifies the general rule. Yes, it needs to be cleaned up...but that's what we have guys who submit proposals for so work on those proposals and it will save some 28 pages of debate...;)

But I enjoyed reading it....it seems a little more civil than I recall in the past so that's a good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.