More than 360 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That is the point of this thread and while your opinion that counts as much as anyone's it is just an opinion.

In my own opinion the code section can be read either way.
But technically speaking, each point was used as a pull point. A slightly more technical description, each was used as a pull-through point. Nothing in the Code distinguishes between the two... :p

On a more serious interpretation note, David brought up a Code section which implies straight pulls are not restricted, only the distances between entry and exit points are specified. Technically speaking, if you use a pull point as a pull point, you could never have a straight pull. So straight pulls actually implies a straight through pulling of the conductors.

iwire

Staff member
...show me a section in either the NEC or CEC that states I must pull the wire out at every single pull point. There isn't one.

The section has been posted, people read it differently.

I think smarts argument that the section is in the EMT article is the strongest.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
The section has been posted, people read it differently.

I think smarts argument that the section is in the EMT article is the strongest.

....read what was posted and still don't see anything in either code that states I have to use every pull point, the inspector is wrong. The wire was installed as per manufacture.

iwire

Staff member
....read what was posted and still don't see anything in either code that states I have to use every pull point, the inspector is wrong. The wire was installed as per manufacture.

:D

I have read it, I just don't see it as clear as you believe it is.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree that you could have 360 degrees of bends, a pull box and then another 360 degree of bends and another pull box, on and on and one.

"Not more than..... between pull points." The pull point could be a straight pull or a 90 degree IMHO.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
:D

I have read it, I just don't see it as clear as you believe it is.
To either simplify or make things more complicated, what would you say the code requires if you have a not terribly long straight pull which for mechanical reasons has a box in the middle which can serve as a pull box. (As in the example of a vertical riser, perhaps)? Does the fact that a pull point exists require you to actually use it for pulling, even if it is not necessary and might even be harder on the cable than a single straight pull would be?

If you say, not it would not be required, how do you decide when a pull point has to be used? If the intention is that each required pull point be used, what do you do in a situation where you have two pull points along the course of a path that has a total of 630 degrees of bend. Which of the two (spaced, for example, at 270, 90 and 270), would be the required pull point? There is no practical reason to actually use both.

I am not convinced whether the intent of the code was to require that no actual pull be more than 360 degrees, but it certainly does not say that explicitly.

iwire

Staff member
To either simplify or make things more complicated, what would you say the code requires if you have a not terribly long straight pull which for mechanical reasons has a box in the middle which can serve as a pull box. (As in the example of a vertical riser, perhaps)? Does the fact that a pull point exists require you to actually use it for pulling, even if it is not necessary and might even be harder on the cable than a single straight pull would be?

If you say, not it would not be required, how do you decide when a pull point has to be used? If the intention is that each required pull point be used, what do you do in a situation where you have two pull points along the course of a path that has a total of 630 degrees of bend. Which of the two (spaced, for example, at 270, 90 and 270), would be the required pull point? There is no practical reason to actually use both.

I am not convinced whether the intent of the code was to require that no actual pull be more than 360 degrees, but it certainly does not say that explicitly.

That was a long trip to come right back to 'I don't know'

Part of 2008 NEC 90.4

The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the Code has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules,

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
MHO is that the inspector is wrong in his assesment, the pull points are a requirement for installing the conduit to assist the pulling if nessecary, but are not required to be used if not needed.

The pulling tension supplied by the wire manufacture is what would be required for the installation of the conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.